Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh air ... or lack of it rather!

Options
  • 25-11-2018 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

what the hell do people be burning in their open fires these days - just been outside for a bit o fresh air and got a lung full of acrid smoke .. coughing me bleeding guts up now ...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Were you up on someone's roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Burning household rubbish in stoves in alot of cases.
    Filthy habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

no, i think its low covering cause of the fog / cold / weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Turf always seems to fill the air with nocuous fumes

no, i think its low covering cause of the fog / cold / weather

It can happen, temperature inversion on cooler nights keeping a blanket of smog over urban areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Kid you not, saw a girl last year at a friend's place chugging her baby's poopy nappy into the open fire...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Has Shan Mohangi moved to your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

maybe if we pay more tax it will go away? thats the Irish way!

Turf always seems to fill the air with nocuous fumes

as quaint as 'old Ireland' is with its Turf smoke (and I used to love the smell of turf fires in Ireland years ago when i came to visit) now I am getting older it really plays havoc with my chest now.

I wonder if the the majority of people in Ireland with Asthma and COPD and other Lung/breathing problems can be attributed (or certainly made worse) by people burning rubbish and turf and smokey coal in open fires? - I'd say it could

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

The little tax the Irish pay does not match the amount of moaning about it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

mickdw wrote: »
    Burning household rubbish in stoves in alot of cases.
    Filthy habit.

True. Far better lashing it into a hedge in the small hours of the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A lot of people chuck their household waste in the fire during the winter. Disgusting carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭AllForIt

as quaint as 'old Ireland' is with its Turf smoke (and I used to love the smell of turf fires in Ireland years ago when i came to visit) now I am getting older it really plays havoc with my chest now.

I wonder if the the majority of people in Ireland with Asthma and COPD and other Lung/breathing problems can be attributed (or certainly made worse) by people burning rubbish and turf and smokey coal in open fires? - I'd say it could

As someone who suffers from asthma I'd be much more concerned about car exhaust fumes than turf smoke. Also a recent study showed a correlation between dementia and those suffering from it living within close distance to busy high traffic roads.

maybe if people started burning modern cleaner fuel (well cleaner smelling) like gas oil and electric and smokeless coal for the house heating/central heating it will go away.

Councils make such a big deal that burning rubbish in your back garden is anti-social with the smell/fumes and prohibit you from doing it by law but seem to turn a blind eye when it comes to what people burn in their open fires in the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

If only we'd go nuclear.

maybe if people started burning modern cleaner fuel (well cleaner smelling) like gas oil and electric and smokeless coal for the house heating/central heating it will go away.

Councils make such a big deal that burning rubbish in your back garden is anti-social with the smell/fumes and prohibit you from doing it by law but seem to turn a blind eye when it comes to what people burn in their open fires in the winter

People want proper heat. Far more important than what it smells like outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Patww79 wrote: »
    True. Far better lashing it into a hedge in the small hours of the morning.

Idiotic comment.
    Burning tin cans, plastic and food waste in a household stove is a filthy, smelly habit.
    Dumping is more disgusting but for you to suggest it's an either or type of scenario is idiotic.
    Everyone can manage to put their waste in a bin and have it taken away. Unfortunately we have another short sighted green policy of paying by weight. The result is that people will dump if the alternative is to be penalised by extra charges for disposing of waste properly.

mickdw wrote: »
    Idiotic comment.
    Burning tin cans, plastic and food waste in a household stove is a filthy, smelly habit.
    Dumping is more disgusting but for you to suggest it's an either or type of scenario is idiotic.
    Everyone can manage to put their waste in a bin and have it taken away. Unfortunately we have another short sighted green policy of paying by weight. The result is that people will dump if the alternative is to be penalised by extra charges for disposing of waste properly.

Depends on how much further bin companies are allowed to rip the piss out of us all. If it keeps going the way it's going then I wouldn't blame anyone for tipping or burning.

AllForIt wrote: »
    As someone who suffers from asthma I'd be much more concerned about car exhaust fumes than turf smoke. Also a recent study showed a correlation between dementia and those suffering from it living within close distance to busy high traffic roads.

strange this but i find the exhaust fumes and the turf smoke / open fire smoke quite different. I find car exhaust fumes nasty and stinky yes and can give headache and make feel sick, but open fires and turf fires when they fill the air with smoke really , really acrid kind of fumes and really make my chest tight, sore throat , runny eyes and coughing . Maybe its something medical with me, i dunno. I dont think i have asthma, I have no inhaler or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

LirW wrote: »
    Kid you not, saw a girl last year at a friend's place chugging her baby's poopy nappy into the open fire...

Certain 80s Dublin areas in Winter had a dank smell of piss in the air as households burned the Pamper type things. Its a childhood memory for me.

• Advertisement

If only we'd go nuclear.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSULexjSA0Cufzi2hSLFz05Cq3NIaJcicgUqYkRVAaiwUzWl1aq

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Peat and wood are the two most polluting fuels used in fires/stoves. Plenty of PM2.5 and PAH, which cause respiratory disease and are carcinogenic, respectively.

But they look nice in a fire, so there's that.

Peat and wood are the two most polluting fuels used in fires/stoves. Plenty of PM2.5 and PAH, which cause respiratory disease and are carcinogenic, respectively.

But they look nice in a fire, so there's that.

when you say carcinogenic do you mean breathing it in can cause a person Cancer?

I was at a presentation tha other day and they had quantified the reduction in deaths directly attributable to poor air quality in Dublin after having brought the smoky coal ban into Dublin in 1990. The breakdown was in cardiovascular and respiratory diseases. Can't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head but it exceeded 300. In Dublin alone. Annually.

Study recently showed that peat and wood were the most problematic fuels because of the what was in the emissions.

It's not just burning sh*te (literally) but normal solid fuel that fu*ks with your breathing.

when you say carcinogenic do you mean breathing it in can cause a person Cancer?

Unless the definition of carcinogenic has changed, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭AllForIt

strange this but i find the exhaust fumes and the turf smoke / open fire smoke quite different. I find car exhaust fumes nasty and stinky yes and can give headache and make feel sick, but open fires and turf fires when they fill the air with smoke really , really acrid kind of fumes and really make my chest tight, sore throat , runny eyes and coughing . Maybe its something medical with me, i dunno. I dont think i have asthma, I have no inhaler or anything

Well I don't think any kind of fumes are good for anyone whether you suffer from asthma or not.

I suppose the question is not so much how you feel at the time but which one's have the most devastating effect on your health long term.

Unless the definition of carcinogenic has changed, yes.

Holy Shít ! - still, mind u I dunno why I am surprised .. I shouldnt be

There were two elements to that: air and noise pollution. Most problematic pollutants from traffic are PM2.5 and NO2.

Solid fuel also produces PM2.5 so there's some overlap but maybe the real issue is the NO2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Theres also this
    The increasing use of solid fuels such as wood chippings and peat products to heat homes is causing “extreme air pollution” in Dublin, scientists at NUI Galway have found.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/green-home-heating-fuels-causing-extreme-levels-of-air-pollution-1.3629337

• Advertisement

Well I don't think any kind of fumes are good for anyone whether you suffer from asthma or not.

I suppose the question is not so much how you feel at the time but which one's have the most devastating effect on your health long term.

true - it seeps into the bloodstream and then into all your organs. Look at that there was a day people used to put Lead make up on and paint with lead paint and drink out of lead pipes and couldnt understand why people were dropping like dead flies ... until it was too late . ..

Advertisement