Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh air ... or lack of it rather!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

beauf wrote: »

The article is slightly misleading in referring to wood as 'green'. The wood is mostly being chucked into fires or stoves.

One reason why the Clean Air Strategy wants to minimise /eliminate solid fuel heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

mickdw wrote: »
    Burning household rubbish in stoves in alot of cases.
    Filthy habit.

That is happening all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

beauf wrote: »

its strange - whenever I think of Dublin and other big cities I dont see them as burning wood and open fires and that - I think of them with their Gas central heating because surely loads of big cities these days are served with Mains/piped Gas to the properties .

... and then i always associate the rural shticks having open fires and burning peat/turf and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Thought this was going to about the buses and people sitting there with the bus steaming up, breathing in everyone else's breath with no windows open. I always have to crack a window open. Can feel the filthies from people.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

maybe if people started burning modern cleaner fuel (well cleaner smelling) like gas oil and electric and smokeless coal for the house heating/central heating it will go away.

Councils make such a big deal that burning rubbish in your back garden is anti-social with the smell/fumes and prohibit you from doing it by law but seem to turn a blind eye when it comes to what people burn in their open fires in the winter

Can't see your fire from the helicopter.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Can't see your fire from the helicopter.

but they do have council vans driving around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

as quaint as 'old Ireland' is with its Turf smoke (and I used to love the smell of turf fires in Ireland years ago when i came to visit) now I am getting older it really plays havoc with my chest now.

I wonder if the the majority of people in Ireland with Asthma and COPD and other Lung/breathing problems can be attributed (or certainly made worse) by people burning rubbish and turf and smokey coal in open fires? - I'd say it could

Out here it gets blown away so fast I never get a whiff of it. Cleanest air ther eis

Ah a memory though of one day years ago when someone pointed out to me a dark cloud over..... sligo.. of smoke and gunk...

Wheety wrote: »
    Thought this was going to about the buses and people sitting there with the bus steaming up, breathing in everyone else's breath with no windows open. I always have to crack a window open. Can feel the filthies from people.

Yeeeurk.... Thankful I do not use buses and I carry a mask anyways

strange this but i find the exhaust fumes and the turf smoke / open fire smoke quite different. I find car exhaust fumes nasty and stinky yes and can give headache and make feel sick, but open fires and turf fires when they fill the air with smoke really , really acrid kind of fumes and really make my chest tight, sore throat , runny eyes and coughing . Maybe its something medical with me, i dunno. I dont think i have asthma, I have no inhaler or anything

I find the opposite. car exhaust fumes make me wheeze and sick. so used to our clear clean air out here though. love the turf aroma when it is just lit... mmmmmmmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I got just the solution for you OP;

best

CANNED AIR!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I was gonna suggest Andy needs to get out more and step away from the keyboard before starting another random thread but look where that got him ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

strange this but i find the exhaust fumes and the turf smoke / open fire smoke quite different. I find car exhaust fumes nasty and stinky yes and can give headache and make feel sick, but open fires and turf fires when they fill the air with smoke really , really acrid kind of fumes and really make my chest tight, sore throat , runny eyes and coughing . Maybe its something medical with me, i dunno. I dont think i have asthma, I have no inhaler or anything

Turf smoke has always been like that for me too. I'm not sure but I'd hazard a guess that stuff like that would probably have a higher concentration of particulate matter. If I remember correctly peat power plants are some of the dirtiest you can get.

Personally I dislike Turf for other reasons too. We've destroyed so much of our bogs and it's a very rare habitat.

Wheety wrote: »

I'm probably the guy sitting behind you freezing to bits. There have been morning where I think I want to kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭NSAman

If only we'd go nuclear.

While it would absolutely keep the house warm, I’m not so sure that open fires could handle a nuclear reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm always amused by those, principally in rural areas like my own, who defend the burning of turf. It is extremely smokey and high in particulates. It is a pollutant pure and simple. The impact of turf cutting on our natural environment and it's destruction of a major carbon sink is a matter for another thread but those who laud turf as a fuel generally only do so because they get it free or for little or nothing compared to other fuels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'm always amused by those, principally in rural areas like my own, who defend the burning of turf. It is extremely smokey and high in particulates. It is a pollutant pure and simple. The impact of turf cutting on our natural environment and it's destruction of a major carbon sink is a matter for another thread but those who laud turf as a fuel generally only do so because they get it free or for little or nothing compared to other fuels.

There's great heat out of it though.

Patww79 wrote: »

:D Yes, they always say that - when there seldom is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I got just the solution for you OP;

best

CANNED AIR!

I actually tried that before due to the toxic London underground. It's useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭22michael44

it's weird the total blind spot people have with regard to wood-burning and its health effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

it's weird the total blind spot people have with regard to wood-burning and its health effects.

But surely it's been done forever, how can you raise kids without a fireplace?!

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

when we first moved to Ireland we burnt peat and briquettes - it really , really wasnt that much heat out of it compared to coal (and smokless coal wasnt around then .. it was that Polish coal we used to get and that was hot) and emptying out the grate after a turf fire was nasty, if you saw a shaft of sunlight in though a living room window you would see all the particles from turf in the air and the dust went everywhere , you would have to be dusting every day just settles everywhere (or your breathing it up though the nose or through your mouth) - had a range , tried turf in that - rubbish didnt get the water hot enough , using coal in it was the biz , used to get the ol central heating pipes banging under the heat and the rads would scald you as you walked past them :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

what the hell do people be burning in their open fires these days - just been outside for a bit o fresh air and got a lung full of acrid smoke .. coughing me bleeding guts up now ...

Don't worry the sjw's and greens are ready to eradicate man's greatest discovery any day soon....

Little do those knobs realise that's the end of civilisation as we envisage...

when we first moved to Ireland we burnt peat and briquettes - it really , really wasnt that much heat out of it compared to coal (and smokless coal wasnt around then .. it was that Polish coal we used to get and that was hot) and emptying out the grate after a turf fire was nasty, if you saw a shaft of sunlight in though a living room window you would see all the particles from turf in the air and the dust went everywhere , you would have to be dusting every day just settles everywhere (or your breathing it up though the nose or through your mouth) - had a range , tried turf in that - rubbish didnt get the water hot enough , using coal in it was the biz , used to get the ol central heating pipes banging under the heat and the rads would scald you as you walked past them :)

In my nine years on a small North Sea island I burned only local peats ( turf). It heated all the water for running radiators, kept the entire cottage warm... hot baths daily.. kept it in 24/7 .

There is as they said " a way with the peat"... and work for local folk cutting it for those who could not.

As now, keeping the money on the island. Last winter I used coal, which we bring over on the ferry. Expensive and mucky. and not half the heat of a good turf fire. Imported as against local? No contest.

Turf ash is wonderful stuff too..

Graces7 wrote: »
    In my nine years on a small North Sea island I burned only local peats ( turf). It heated all the water for running radiators, kept the entire cottage warm... hot baths daily.. kept it in 24/7 .

There is as they said " a way with the peat"... and work for local folk cutting it for those who could not.

As now, keeping the money on the island. Last winter I used coal, which we bring over on the ferry. Expensive and mucky. and not half the heat of a good turf fire. Imported as against local? No contest.

Except
    http://www.ipcc.ie/a-to-z-peatlands/peatland-action-plan/extent-utilisation-of-irish-peatlands/
    The original extent of raised bog in the Republic of Ireland was 308,742ha. IPCC monitors the status of the resource on an on going basis. Developmental pressures on raised bogs are intense, particularly extraction for fuel and horticulture mainly due to the development of new markets for these products and the establishment of numerous peat producing businesses. The most serious impact of mechanised peat extraction in Ireland has been on the Midland raised bogs accounting for a loss of 24% of the resource in less than 50 years. Hand peat cutting accounts for a staggering 64% loss and afforestation accounts for 2% of the loss of habitat in the Republic of Ireland. This leaves 10% of the raised bogs remaining, which are deemed suitable for conservation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

maybe if people started burning modern cleaner fuel (well cleaner smelling) like gas oil and electric and smokeless coal for the house heating/central heating it will go away.

Councils make such a big deal that burning rubbish in your back garden is anti-social with the smell/fumes and prohibit you from doing it by law but seem to turn a blind eye when it comes to what people burn in their open fires in the winter

They need a warrant to come into your gaff.
    Do can just rock up to your back garden, easier to catch.
    If they could be arsed

Graces7 wrote: »

you must have better quality Turf /hotter burning Turf down your way then :D

Grayson wrote: »

The unfortunate fact is that if it was rain forest habitat being lost, or an endangered environment elsewhere at risk, people would be calling on a ban on the use of the commodity responsible but when it suits their own pockets they ignore the impact to our native flora and fauna.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSULexjSA0Cufzi2hSLFz05Cq3NIaJcicgUqYkRVAaiwUzWl1aq

A nuclear power station is not a bomb nor can you make a bomb from the fuel no matter how much you try. We really are mad not to have a nuclear power plant in the country.

you must have better quality Turf /hotter burning Turf down your way then :D

Even if the moisture content of turf can be got below 20% it is proven to be an inefficient heat source. And proof of it's impurity is readily available by looking at the deposits on flues and seeing the amount of soot and creosote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

LirW wrote: »
    Kid you not, saw a girl last year at a friend's place chugging her baby's poopy nappy into the open fire...

ah jaysus

Advertisement