Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh air ... or lack of it rather!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

lawred2 wrote: »
    ah jaysus

You called?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

as quaint as 'old Ireland' is with its Turf smoke (and I used to love the smell of turf fires in Ireland years ago when i came to visit) now I am getting older it really plays havoc with my chest now.

I wonder if the the majority of people in Ireland with Asthma and COPD and other Lung/breathing problems can be attributed (or certainly made worse) by people burning rubbish and turf and smokey coal in open fires? - I'd say it could

used to be banished to my nan's place in Mayo regularly - they had their own bog for cutting..

fires used to be on even in summer

I had childhood asthma and would quite literally struggle to breath for the entire duration...

madness - would never subject my kids to such an unhealthy environment now

Patww79 wrote: »
    There's great heat out of it though.

there isn't though

it's one of the least efficient fuels for electricity generation

• Registered Users Posts: 16,257 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The unfortunate fact is that if it was rain forest habitat being lost, or an endangered environment elsewhere at risk, people would be calling on a ban on the use of the commodity responsible but when it suits their own pockets they ignore the impact to our native flora and fauna.

Plus a lot of it happened before we became aware what great carbon sinks they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Some people in very rural areas will burn anything in the stove, I saw a fella put in his old pair of runners once after he found a hole in the sole :eek:

But fuel smells are one thing. I spent two and a half hours yesterday on a train choking in the carriage-wide stench of Monster Munch and dirty bum, a memorable fragrance broken only occasionally by the reek of cheap lager when my traveling companions laughed too loud and too long at stuff that was not even remotely funny. Gah. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,637 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Graces7 wrote: »
    Last winter I used coal, which we bring over on the ferry. Expensive and mucky. and not half the heat of a good turf fire. Imported as against local? No contest.

Turf ash is wonderful stuff too..

Turf is worse than coal for indoor air quality on account of the higher levels of PM2.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭22michael44

Zorya wrote: »
    Some people in very rural areas will burn anything in the stove, I saw a fella put in his old pair of runners once after he found a hole in the sole :eek:

But fuel smells are one thing. I spent two and a half hours yesterday on a train choking in the carriage-wide stench of Monster Munch and dirty bum, a memorable fragrance broken only occasionally by the reek of cheap lager when my traveling companions laughed too loud and too long at stuff that was not even remotely funny. Gah. :(

yeah people just don't think. even something like varnished wood can be extremely bad for you if you chuck it in the fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

yeah people just don't think. even something like varnished wood can be extremely bad for you if you chuck it in the fire.

Round here they think you're a sissy if you don't burn plastics in a barrel in the back garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

here's one of the cleanest fires you can get , electric one - looks nice too , makes you feel warm just looking at it, no smell, no emptying out of ashes , no bringing in coal from the outside, no draughty chimney needed, no cinders to shoot out and catch alight the rug , safe for children to be around, no fire guard needed..... all at a click of a switch...

466962.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

here's one of the cleanest fires you can get , electric one - looks nice too , makes you feel warm just looking at it, no smell, no emptying out of ashes , no bringing in coal from the outside, no draughty chimney needed, no cinders to shoot out and catch alight the rug , safe for children to be around, no fire guard needed..... all at a click of a switch...

466962.jpg

No heat and an absolute fortune to run. Basically an expensive ornament that you can look at while wearing a coat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

466962.jpg

With elecricty supplied from Lough Ree peat burning power station!

(It probably isnt)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,784 ✭✭✭lertsnim

LirW wrote: »
    Kid you not, saw a girl last year at a friend's place chugging her baby's poopy nappy into the open fire...

Dirty bitch.

Lovely blazing fire here in front of me on free timber :), can’t beat it!

Patww79 wrote: »
    No heat and an absolute fortune to run. Basically an expensive ornament that you can look at while wearing a coat.

haha - absolute fortune to run :D theres 2 LED 7w bulbs in it :)

no, no heat admittedly but thats why kerosene oil central heating was invented for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Beijing air quality right now https://aqicn.org/city/beijing/

With elecricty supplied from Lough Ree peat burning power station!

(It probably isnt)

Less than 5% of electricity fuel mix is from peat.

Is that not peat burning?

(Everyday is a learning day)

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Beijing air quality right now https://aqicn.org/city/beijing/

New Ross has had levels of PM2.5 that exceeded levels in Beijing in 2008 during 'the most polluted Olympics ever.

The location - being in something of a valley -
    doesn't help. Nor does the use of solid fuel.

this is what it looked like when i went outside the other day in Sligo ... :)

_58016604_013739691-1.jpg

Is that not peat burning?

(Everyday is a learning day)

It is.

It shouldn't be part the mix at all

• Advertisement

this is what it looked like when i went outside the other day in Sligo ... :)

_58016604_013739691-1.jpg

Burning coal to power the coffee machine for all your free top ups.

Burning coal to power the coffee machine for all your free top ups.

well done for resisting to bring that up as late as this ...

that reminds me its nearly been a year since that happened - I shall have a re-visit and see if anythings changed :)

It is.

It shouldn't be part the mix at all

So it is a peat burning power station...?

So it is a peat burning power station...?

Lough Ree? Yup. The smallest one.

Lough Ree? Yup. The smallest one.

Right. As i though.
    This confused me:

Right. As i though.
    This confused me:

The fuel mix for electricity is provided by the CRU. Less than 5% of the fuel mix for electricity generation is from peat. Wasnt saying Lough Ree doesn't burn peat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

lawred2 wrote: »
    there isn't though

it's one of the least efficient fuels for electricity generation

Yes great heat if you know how to use it properly. Rejoicing to be back in deep rural with turf and clean air. Supporting local economy and not buying coal that has left a carbon footprint importing it and as for oil...

And the cost of electricity.....

What use avoiding local fuel and risking hypothermia? Had a brush with that last winter. Not funny.

I never get asthma here either. or sinus trouble. I can heat the dwelling well as turf cut behind the dwelling costs less.

OF course towns and villages are different from one off houses, and out here we have vast wildlife areas set aside... blanket bog that can never be touched. As it right. One Mayo National Park has extended to a vast tract of north Mayo. Wonderful to drive through.

Bogland is a natural carbon sink so cutting it and burning it has a double whammy effect where carbon footprint so don't be deluding yourself that you're doing a whole lot positive for the environment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

QUOTE=lawred2;108740149]Bogland is a natural carbon sink so cutting it and burning it has a double whammy effect where carbon footprint so don't be deluding yourself that you're doing a whole lot positive for the environment[/QUOTE]

:eek: :rolleyes::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have a stove & I burn Ecobrite - a high quality smokeless fuel. It's more expensive, €19 for 40kg, but works out much cheaper as it generates a lot of heat & burns slowly. The added benefit is no smoke & no soot - the stove looks like new inside.

Advertisement