Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh air ... or lack of it rather!

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

lawred2 wrote: »
    Bogland is a natural carbon sink so cutting it and burning it has a double whammy effect where carbon footprint so don't be deluding yourself that you're doing a whole lot positive for the environment

You've summed it up - deluded. It suits many in rural areas (and I know, as I live among many of them) to talk up the qualities of turf, even though those same qualities are fallacies. Turf is a pollutant, a low efficiency fuel and is only burned because they get it for little or nothing. Turf cutting destroys an endangered eco system, with the knock on loss of valuable habitat for plants and animals, and burning it releases more CO2. Again, if it was a commodity affecting the health or habitat of Orangutans the same people would be boycotting it amid loud angst at how we are destroying the Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Discodog wrote: »
    I have a stove & I burn Ecobrite - a high quality smokeless fuel. It's more expensive, €19 for 40kg, but works out much cheaper as it generates a lot of heat & burns slowly. The added benefit is no smoke & no soot - the stove looks like new inside.

I bought a bag of ecobrite and a bag of cosyglo 2 weeks ago and I found it to be absolute muck.half it doesn’t burn and the stove smells of sulphur like rotten eggs.as for heat it wouldn’t warm a thrushes Mickey. The grate is full of rotten eggs smelling sand in the morning and the house is cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I bought a bag of ecobrite and a bag of cosyglo 2 weeks ago and I found it to be absolute muck.half it doesn’t burn and the stove smells of sulphur like rotten eggs.as for heat it wouldn’t warm a thrushes Mickey. The grate is full of rotten eggs smelling sand in the morning and the house is cold.

I always get a total burn, very little ash, around a 7 hour burn time & great heat.

A lot of boarsie's use it & they agree. You must of been doing something wrong

I always get a total burn, very little ash, around a 7 hour burn time & great heat.

A lot of boarsie's use it & they agree. You must of been doing something wrong

I filled the grate with it and stove had plenty of airflow with the wheel open to the last.it barely got the rads to Luke warm.

I filled the grate with it and stove had plenty of airflow with the wheel open to the last.it barely got the rads to Luke warm.

Ecobrite will melt the grate bars if you leave the vent open too long - that's how much heat it produces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I have a stove & I burn Ecobrite - a high quality smokeless fuel. It's more expensive, €19 for 40kg, but works out much cheaper as it generates a lot of heat & burns slowly. The added benefit is no smoke & no soot - the stove looks like new inside.

It's not actually "smokeless" though. It might produce less smoke than regular coal, and you can sell in the restricted areas. Peat briquettes are "smokeless" too.

loyatemu wrote: »
    It's not actually "smokeless" though. It might produce less smoke than regular coal, and you can sell in the restricted areas. Peat briquettes are "smokeless" too.

Well I never have to clean the stove glass or the chimney

Ecobrite will melt the grate bars if you leave the vent open too long - that's how much heat it produces.

Is it arigna that makes the one you have

Is it arigna that makes the one you have

Yes.

Yes.

That’s the one I had.unless it was a bad batch.

• Advertisement

That’s the one I had.unless it was a bad batch.

There is a long thread in Bargain alerts about coal. Your's is the first bad comment that I have heard about Ecobrite

There is a long thread in Bargain alerts about coal. Your's is the first bad comment that I have heard about Ecobrite

I was burning polish with turf before that and the house was hot. I was disappointed in the ecobrite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,637 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I was burning polish with turf before that and the house was hot.

Was the fireplace clean and shiny after?

Was the fireplace clean and shiny after?

Harhar very good 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I have it on good authority that a nationwide ban on the burning of smoky coal (and other specified fuels) will be coming into effect in Autumn 2019. This ban will make it illegal to burn and or sell smoky coal countrywide in the Republic of Ireland. - thank God for that.

Good news for people like me with respiratory problems when the air is full of sulfur from the burning of smokey coal in the winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

I have it on good authority that a nationwide ban on the burning of smoky coal (and other specified fuels) will be coming into effect in Autumn 2019. This ban will make it illegal to burn and or sell smoky coal countrywide in the Republic of Ireland. - thank God for that.

Good news for people like me with respiratory problems when the air is full of sulfur from the burning of smokey coal in the winter

That ban was announced nearly a year ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Andy From Sligo. We really need more people like you in this country, we really do...

to emigrate!

ah right - I never heard of it :)

Andy From Sligo. We really need more people like you in this country, we really do...

to emigrate!

that's very harsh ott reaction to someone who just wants to breathe in fresh air :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

that's very harsh ott reaction to someone who just wants to breathe in fresh air :)

Not at all. You come into this country as a self confessed long term smoker.

Now decades later you complain about your breathing & blame the Irish for it!

On your high horse bike with you.:mad:

• Advertisement

Not at all. You come into this country as a self confessed long term smoker...

??? No you lost me after that , I have never smoked a cigarette in my life ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

That ban not in years?Anyway in limerick city it’s no problem getting the smoky coal

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I was in New Delhi at the end of December last year; worst air pollution and smog I've ever experienced. When it gets cold in the Winter, people start burning absolutely everything, and there's nearly 20 million people at it. Couldn't fathom living there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

bigpink wrote: »
    That ban not in years?Anyway in limerick city it’s no problem getting the smoky coal

They announced approx a year ago that a ban on smokey coal would come into effect in 2019 or so. So while you can still buy it for now it will be gone soon

where did you read it was going to be nationwide ban pls ? - I been trying to search for it and couldnt find anything about it, only about a ban in town and city centres

Advertisement