Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access BB miles and miles away???

• 25-11-2018 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hi, as per the title, looking to see if it is possible to access a network from a location miles away.

I live in the sticks with BB of 20 down and 5 up, best i can get. Mate of mine had GB BB and is happy to share with me if i go half in on the bill and find out a way of making it work.

Is it a fantasy or a reality to be able to make such work through a vpn or the like?

Any info appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

You need clear line of sight. What distance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

You need clear line of sight. What distance?

No sorry, I'm not talking about transmitter & receiver setup. More of a vpn setup is what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

tiny timy wrote: »
    No sorry, I'm not talking about transmitter & receiver setup. More of a vpn setup is what I'm looking for.

it would work but be absolutely no help to you getting faster internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

it would work but be absolutely no help to you getting faster internet.

Ah right. Fair enough. That ends that!!! Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

if you had LOS then setting up a link is definitely possible, its even possible if you don't have line of sight but makes things quite a bit more complicated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

...unless you hosted your computers at your mates house and connected to them via thin client (example Remote Desktop). Would work well for anything that is not graphics intensive.

Advertisement