Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike review sites

Options
  • 25-11-2018 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭

anyone able to recommend a site which gives fairly good bike reviews? I'm researching new bike for friend and want to read bit more than what the manufacturer's reviews give. I'm kinda going around in circles myself. I've tried cycling weekly and few others but the bike most interested in isn't there.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Have you searched this forum? Plenty of feedback and suggestions covering most disciplines/activities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I've searched here but dont see any reviews of it I can show her. She's looking at a Liv Langma Advanced 1 carbon, Ultegra. Ahyone got one and got any pros/cons about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

What's wrong with googling "Liv Langma review"?

Whyner wrote: »
    What's wrong with googling "Liv Langma review"?

Theres nothing wrong with doing that and I obviously did that. However I'm only getting the manufacturer's reviews and was looking for something independent - as said previously

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

?

The first half dozen hits are independent reviews of the Langma.

Missus almost bought one earlier this year, was only swayed in the end by a great deal on an Argon 18 but it was close. The Langma is a climbers bike, nice and light, and in the right frame colours a beautiful bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to be fair, most of the reviews i can see are for the advanced pro disc, which is STG£3k, or the near £8k model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Have been through this twice in last few months

My advice is ride it ride it ride it and try and ensure different bikes she rides are set up similarly and tires are same ish pressure (to avoid one feeling more comfortable / quicker for reasons unrelated to bikes)

Online reviews have to be taken with pinch of salt as a lot of those sites are really just advertising vehicles

Even if not, "serious" cyclists tend to come with serious prejudgment as to what is required ("the rules" etc) and have assimilated years of marketing as opposed to necessarily being able to give a genuine objective assessment of the merits of a bike

Having said that road.cc I think seems to be reviews by actual hobby cyclists

Youtube is also a good source for bloggers buying the same bike and giving their impressions at different stages

But ultimately there's only so much you can learn from someone else's review. Sooner or later she's going to have to jump and pick something and that is better informed by how it felt when she actually rode the bike than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Also useful to consider what she wants to do on the bike for the purposes of choosing - gear ratios, tire clearance, wheels and tyres that come with the stock bike etc

to be fair, most of the reviews i can see are for the advanced pro disc, which is STG£3k, or the near £8k model.

exactly my point. most of them are not for the bike we're looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Awful name, but a nice looking bike. If it's DNA is TCR based then I'd be sure of it being a very good bike indeed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement