Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do er upper query

Options
  • 26-11-2018 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi all,

quick question as not a handyman by any stretch

looking for estimates from boardsies on the below

how much to put new windows in a 3 bed house (triple glaze?

what about insulating a house of f rating

what about pulling the carpet currently there and replacing with decent quality floorboards?

any assistance on these appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

As long as a piece of string.

Call some lads in and get a few quotes. The only way to get some accurate figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

there is no way anyone could even quess at any of that without seeing it first hand. the size and shape of the house will play a huge part in what decides the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

As above, get some quotes, people here could try to give guidance but the margin for error is so massive that it would be pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What era is the house?
    mkdon wrote: »
    how much to put new windows in a 3 bed house (triple glaze?
    Triple glazing is heat and sound insulation and is about 200mm thick overall - is this what you want?

For even a guesstimate, you would need to list the number, sizes (length x height, you may find that several windows are the same size) and material / style of window you want.
    what about insulating a house of f rating
    How much external wall area? How much roof area? What is the approximate slope is the roof? What condition is the roof in?
    what about pulling the carpet currently there and replacing with decent quality floorboards?
    If they are original, timber floor boards (not plywood or other sheet material), you might find that sanding, staining and polishing results in nice floor boards.

What is the floor area?

Will you need to re-do plumbing and electrics? If the house is more than 20-30 years old, you will need to look at that. It might be worthwhile looking at a solar panel and new boiler anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm going through the process of renovating an old house and as others have said here, the cost could be anything from 5 figures to 6 figures to do the work.

When you open the walls to add insulation, you may find damp. You'll then need to apply a damp proof course or similar.
    Taking up floorboards may find other issues. For example, we had to completely replace the supporting boards holding up the floorboards due to dry rot.

Get some quotes, but be aware that the true cost wont come until you open up the walls & floors!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm going through the process of renovating an old house and as others have said here, the cost could be anything from 5 figures to 6 figures to do the work.

When you open the walls to add insulation, you may find damp. You'll then need to apply a damp proof course or similar.
    Taking up floorboards may find other issues. For example, we had to completely replace the supporting boards holding up the floorboards due to dry rot.

Get some quotes, but be aware that the true cost wont come until you open up the walls & floors!

If you are ripping up walls and floors, its just makes long term financial sense to redo the plumbing and electrics too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

If you are ripping up walls and floors, its just makes long term financial sense to redo the plumbing and electrics too.

True enough. We've actually gutted the entire house (exceeded the original scope of the build). The cheapest time to redo all the services is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

OP if you are redoing everything make sure you look at the grants from SEAI / Superhomes there is very significant supports there and you’ll have an A rated home afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭serox_21

I've changed 3 small windows(1200x900) + single back door to triple glazed 2 months ago.

quotes from Dublin suppliers:
    500- 700 for a window
    1200 for the door.

I've imported my windows and door and cost me 1150 total + 200 shipping +300 to install

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

serox_21 wrote: »
    I've changed 3 small windows(1200x900) + single back door to triple glazed 2 months ago.

500- 700 for a window
    1200 for the door.

I've imported my windows and door and cost me 1150 total + 200 shipping +300 to install

Out of interest how hard was this to do. They're bulky and fragile items, and surprised a company did the install for you. Any tips would be great as I've recently got a quote of 12 k to do my entire house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭serox_21

total weight was 255Kg. around 50Kg each window and 100+ door.

They were imported for EU, well packed and delivered by a lorry.

No damage during transport after spending 3 days on the road.

They were installed privately by someone who works on fitting windows/doors on new constructions.

Took around 8 hours for removing old ones(2 of them were on the 1st floor bedroom) and installing them as I ordered wrong size for the windows(1cm more in height) and required some adjustment on existing windows opening.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Someone I work with imported their internal doors, architrave and windows from Estonia (their home country) for a faction of the cost here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

total weight was 255Kg. around 50Kg each window and 100+ door.

They were imported for EU, well packed and delivered by a lorry.

No damage during transport after spending 3 days on the road.

They were installed privately by someone who works on fitting windows/doors on new constructions.

Took around 8 hours for removing old ones(2 of them were on the 1st floor bedroom) and installing them as I ordered wrong size for the windows(1cm more in height) and required some adjustment on existing windows opening.
    Great thanks. Could you pm the company if you don't mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm also looking into windows and I'd really appreciate a PM with the supplier you went with abroad!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Is it really as simple as taking measurements and then ordering windows and doors online or are there other factors apart from finding someone to install?
    I would definitely be interested in going down this road if there is such a difference in price!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Me too please! Thank you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

GaGa21 wrote: »
    Is it really as simple as taking measurements and then ordering windows and doors online or are there other factors apart from finding someone to install?
    I would definitely be interested in going down this road if there is such a difference in price!

Where do you measure from?
    What allowances do the windows have?
    What hinges etc do they use? Can you replace one if they are broken?
    Do they comply with Iridh Building Regulations?
    Do they comply with the Construction Products Regulations, CE Marking etc?
    Are they certified for use?
    Sizes of openings...Fire Regulations, escape etc

All possible, you just need to know what your doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Measuring windows is never easy

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

ted1 wrote:
    Measuring windows is never easy

Oh I know! So what is best way people do it when ordering online from abroad? Get a professional in to take the measurements, order, and the same pro to fit in the windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DubJJ

500- 700 for a window
    1200 for the door.

Please could you PM me the details of your supplier.
    I've been considering doing this for a while but it's a bit of a minefield out there so to have somebody recommended would make a big difference.

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Oh I know! So what is best way people do it when ordering online from abroad? Get a professional in to take the measurements, order, and the same pro to fit in the windows?

Could be one option, but buyer beware the same professional will not stand over any problems or ill fitting units.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The only way to buy windows or doors is to ensure that the person fitting them is also the person who measures and orders them. That way any mistake is their problem. There is nothing more expensive and unsatisfactory than doing a job twice or patching in ill fitting components.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Thread moved to Construction & Planning > Prices & Costs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Get who ever will fit them to measure

Advertisement