Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble with tenant

• 26-11-2018 3:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi guys so I'm having a spot of bother with my tenants, they moved into my house around 2 years ago. Rent was 650 and I reduced it to 600 after a few months as I knew the family that moved in kinda and they were good. They always said they would only be staying a year or so as there buying a house.

But its 2 years later and now houses are going for 800euro, I messaged them 3 months ago saying I was putting rent up to 675 still well under going rates and i wanted to give them plenty of time to look elsewhere etc. 3 months has passed and they still paid only the 600. I reminded them 2 weeks ago.

So I text them the day that 600 was only paid and said it nicely but gave them 3 months notice etc. She then replied with "wow you will be receiving a letter from my solicitor shortly"

For starters I dunno what ground she is on about. I've been nothing but nice to these people.

I'm just wondering what's my best move now? They didnt sign a agreement as I knew them and didnt think would have to. She is expecting and they have 2 other kids around 10 yr and 15yr old.

Thanks

(I'm a regular on this forum just rather stay annom)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Didn't sign an agreement, and communicated by text?

You know there are simple downloadable forms available to landlords that make these situations entirely avoidable? I'm afraid you've dug yourself a bit of a hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

No good deed ever goes unpunished as they say. First mistake you made was thinking they were nice people.
    You need to if its not already register the tennancy with ptrb then make sure your taxes are in order. Sorry i cant help you anymore but you should probably expect a bit of a fight to get them out so you need to do everything by the book.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You need to clarify a few things, was there any lease agreement signed ever?

When you text about this rise in rent did they acknowledge it or communicate with you about it?

As above poster says you have dug a bit of a hole but you arent giving all the info either to paint the full picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 AusVisa123

No there was never a tenancy signed, I know I have went about things the wrong way. I dont know what they will do now that's all I got "expect a letter from my solicitor" so obviously they have already sought advice I take it.

Can they just stop paying rent?

I dont understand what the letter means from their solicitor, as I havent done anything. What could it be about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

AusVisa123 wrote: »
    No there was never a tenancy signed, I know I have went about things the wrong way. I dont know what they will do now that's all I got "expect a letter from my solicitor" so obviously they have already sought advice I take it.

Can they just stop paying rent?

I dont understand what the letter means from their solicitor, as I havent done anything. What could it be about?

That could be just an empty threat to scare you off; seems to be effective.

Call Threshold?

• Advertisement

Yes it may well be a empty threat as I cant possibly think of what they could do to me getting a solicitor involved. I'm in Australia for the year, So I cant do much here and my parents are over visiting.. So I will leave it for now and not contact them again and when my dad goes home he will go in to have a chat with them.

I wonder if they will pay next months rent now or what there intentions are. I guess I just have to wait to find out.

So if there is no agreement is the tenancy registered with the prtb?

You will have no chance of enforcing anything that was agreed by text in terms of a rent increase and should have done so by letter.

Its unlikely you will hear from their solicitor but if you do it will most likely say you have not given appropriate notice of a rent increase by letter in the post and that your texts are irrelevant. Any further communication from you should be done by post regarding remt etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just to add. Use registered post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

A €75 euro increase is 12.5%.

Is it in an RPZ?

Even if it's not you have to give it to them in writing, preferably by registered post.

You're also legally required to give them 90 days notice so you shouldn't feel like you were doing them a favour.

Thanks for all advice I'm getting.

No it's not registered with PTRB , I will have to get that in order now.

I guess the best next move is wait until my dad talks to them when hes home in 2 weeks.

I just want them out of my house now after this messing about. Ive been more than good to them throughout tenancy and even though I'm increasing rent 75euro monthly, let's not forget I decreased it 50 after a few months into tenancy it's still well below market value.

Since I have no tenancy agreement or registered prtb how difficult would it be for me to send them eviction notice and if they didnt comply to have them removed?

• Advertisement

Thanks for all advice I'm getting.

No it's not registered with PTRB , I will have to get that in order now.

I guess the best next move is wait until my dad talks to them when hes home in 2 weeks.

I just want them out of my house now after this messing about. Ive been more than good to them throughout tenancy and even though I'm increasing rent 75euro monthly, let's not forget I decreased it 50 after a few months into tenancy it's still well below market value.

Since I have no tenancy agreement or registered prtb how difficult would it be for me to send them eviction notice and if they didnt comply to have them removed?

Doesn't matter if it's in an RPZ.

I'm not sure what happens now if it's not registered with the PRTB and with no lease? Does anybody know? Do they have part four anyway?

Chasing this when you're not registered or have all of the proper paperwork might blow up for you.

troyzer wrote: »
    A €75 euro increase is 12.5%.

Is it in an RPZ?

Even if it's not you have to give it to them in writing, preferably by registered post.

You're also legally required to give them 90 days notice so you shouldn't feel like you were doing them a favour.

It's not RPZ, I gave them 3 months notice by text of rent increase or 6 months to find a new place and keep rent at 600.. that was 3 months ago..

If they now make me send them a letter for 90 days notice I may as well make the rent market value at 750 - 800 if they want to be like that.

It's not RPZ, I gave them 3 months notice by text of rent increase or 6 months to find a new place and keep rent at 600.. that was 3 months ago..

If they now make me send them a letter for 90 days notice I may as well make the rent market value at 750 - 800 if they want to be like that.

A text doesn't count as written notice.

You could increase it to that much if you wanted. But they might have you by the balls seeing as how you never registered the tenancy.

This is all irrelevant - you didnt do any of it through the proper channels. A text is not vaild so you may as well not have ever sent it in the first place.

The attitude of ‘if they want to be like that’ will get you nowhere either. If you approach things that way you will find yourself in a very long drawn out case and things wont be in your favour because you failed to do things properly to begin with.

If they are there between 1-2 years then the number of days required is 42 days but you have to have grounds to terminate the tennancy under part 4 - you dont have any at the minute based on what you posted.

https://www.threshold.ie/advice/ending-a-tenancy/how-your-landlord-may-end-your-tenancy/

A civil chat with them might be the best place to first start since you havent got any proper agreement in place and its not registered with the prtb. If that doesnt go anywhere then you are going to have to get your stuff in order registering with the prtb and go from there.

I understand, thanks for your help all.

I will update in 2 weeks after my dad has a chat with them.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You need to stop texting and issue with correct notice by post and you could hand deliver also but as suggested use registered post for everything.

It's the RTB now they dropped the P.

Are you tax compliant?

You need to get it registered ASAP.

If you go over or send your dad be very careful as they may build a case against you for harassment or just end up stop paying any rent at all.

You will find it very difficult and expensive to get them out if payment stops as could take a year or more while you get nothing.

Try and explain nicely if you can and in your rent increase letter show proof of other similar properties in the area going for the higher rate and show you aren't looking for the same thing.

Just do it by the book and don't deviate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Graces7 wrote: »
    Call Threshold?
    Don’t call Threshold, OP.

Grace says mad stuff. It’s kind of her job on here.

To be honest no I'm not fully tax compliant as this is my primary residence and have rented it and moved to Australia to help me clear arrears which I have and help pay off a good chunk of mortgage before moving home. I bought house young and lived in it up until 2 years ago when recession hit it hit me but now I'm trying to make up for it and just as I'm back on track I have hit another obstacle that I could do without as if things werent stressful enough.

I may be reading into it too much but the fact she sent the message "expect a solicitors letter" I know this now can set very messy for me. But there no saints either, they have 2 northern cars parked at my house she was doing cash in hand while receiving benefits. But look I dont want to go down this road. I will see how it plays out first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

You're one the bad ones OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You need to register with the RTB, pay the late registration fee, and send a rent increase of the correct form with the correct notice. Bear in mind if they're paying rent direct to you they should legally be retaining 20% for Revenue as youre a non-resident landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

One other thing which has not been mentioned is that since you are living abroad, the tenant should be withholding 20% of the rent and paying it to the revenue commissioner, that is unless they are paying it to an agent in Ireland.

The tenant then returns a R185 form to revenue at the end of the year to record the withholding tax paid on your behalf.

It might be worth having your father or someone else in Ireland act as agent to receive your rent and also file your tax return for any rental income. Your agent would also manage your tax on your rental income. This would avoid depending on your tenant to ensure your tax is in order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

This is the kind of crap that gives decent landlords a bad name, picking and choosing the parts that suit you. It will likely be an expensive lesson to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

OP - you need to correct how you have been handling things.

Register with the RTB. Pay the late fee.
    Sort out your Income Tax situation in Ireland.
    Part IV already applies here so only certain set reasons are permitted to end the tenancy.
    If you want to increase the rent then do it properly in writing.

Ok thanks guys I will look into all of this.

Ok obviously I'm due them few comments but I'm not really a landlord as such. I got into difficulty and made some decisions while you think it's bad.

I think it's bad when someone has the money but chooses not to pay mortgage as they know they wont be evicted etc.

I may not have went about this the right way, I only made the decision to move out of my house for a few years and go to Australia to help me pay my mortgage. I've paid tax working all my years. I wasnt avoiding this tax. To be honest I just never thought too much about it and I hate paperwork.

I will look into correcting it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Ok obviously I'm due them few comments but I'm not really a landlord as such. I got into difficulty and made some decisions while you think it's bad.

You are renting out your house to somebody but you are not a landlord? What category do you fall into? I am interested to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,228 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think it's bad when someone has the money but chooses not to pay mortgage as they know they wont be evicted etc.

I may not have went about this the right way, I only made the decision to move out of my house for a few years and go to Australia to help me pay my mortgage. I've paid tax working all my years. I wasnt avoiding this tax. To be honest I just never thought too much about it and I hate paperwork.

Your 'not a landlord as such' .... I am sorry but you are renting out a property to someone for money....so how are you not a landlord?
    You have made a hash of this, sounds like you will hopefully learn a lesson from this at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I've paid tax working all my years. I wasnt avoiding this tax. To be honest I just never thought too much about it and I hate paperwork.

You mean you've only paid the tax that someone else has already taken from you, you haven't actually paid all the taxes you should have paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Look OP, I understand that you were under pressure but you seem to have made big life decisions without looking into the legal/tax/other consequences of doing so.

Please don't put your head in the sand on this. Take the steps to correct things now.

Look it wasnt the tax issue I was avoiding, It was the fact that it's my primary residence, I felt if I declare it as being buy to let my mortgage would change and I didnt want to get into all of that. It's not big money were talking.

Right maybe I've went about this the wrong way. I bought my house the year before the big crash. At one stage it was under half the value of what I paid for it. I continued paying my mortgage even though I could have thrown the keys back but accept I owe the money. I fell into some arrears throughout the year but have it fully rectified now. I never got a deal either or a write off which some people have. My mortgage outstanding to this day is still about 20% above market value. So please dont slate me without knowledge of what I've been through. I'm trying to do the right thing I may have went about it wrongly.

The banks are screwing us, The governments. But that's another story. I'm just trying to get by. Maybe the best thing for me was to throw keys back. Then that's putting a hell of a lot back on the taxpayer anyway. Without talking houses I would be very surprised if everyone of you with the negative comments is 100% tax compliant in every area. I didnt realise not registering my tenancy was this bad. But as I said I will look into and sort it and do it right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

1) register the tenancy with the RTB, even with the late fee/penalty it's not much.
    2) issue your tenant with a formal notice of rent increase with the appropriate notice period.
    3) find an accountant to consult with.

When the rent increase comes into effect, you can follow the arrears process if the tenant fails to pay the increased rent.

Tip: Don't confuse the thread or yourself by throwing in rants about the government or the banks. They are entirely irrelevant to your current situation.

Advertisement