Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smyth's extended return policy over Christmas?

Options
  • 26-11-2018 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Does anyone know of Smyth Toys offers an extended return policy over Christmas?

I bought a Xbox one s on offer today and it will opened around the 3rd of January, after their 28 days return policy.
    If there is any problem with the item, will they still replace/fix the item?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

cargen wrote: »
    Does anyone know of Smyth Toys offers an extended return policy over Christmas?

I bought a Xbox one s on offer today and it will opened around the 3rd of January, after their 28 days return policy.
    If there is any problem with the item, will they still replace/fix the item?

If the item is faulty they are obliged by law to replace / repair / refund well beyond the 28 day window.

The 28 days is something over and above your statutory rights where Smyths will exchange or refund unused, unopened items.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

chance of it being DOA are very low. However ... why would you not open it and give it a test run? Ever experience handing a loved one a gift and its broken? why take the chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Used to work in Smyths, not sure if they still do any of the below so you are best off asking in the store!

1. We used to reccomend that parents setup consoles etc. in advance if they can. This does mean unpacking and repacking very carefully but you don't want a DOA console, it's rare but it can happen. In addition to this there can be a lot of updates needed on console's so it's nicer if it's ready to play on day 1.

2. Smyths will have a general swap for anything bought for Christmas. However this is only where possible (i.e. units in the shop to replace) and while it did extend to console's in my day it's never safe to assume.

3. Keep your receipt, don't show up to the counter with the kid and say there's no receipt because Santy bought it. While we generally used to accept this on toys, on a high ticket item like consoles we couldn't. It would lead to some very awkward and tense situations and it's not fair on the staff to have to handle that BS. They've no idea where you bought it or when and for something like that you're going to be swerved to a "discussion" with a manager who's probably stressed up to the eyeballs already.

Smyths are closed on the 26th generally, so it's very important to keep that in mind, if you have anyone in the family technically inclined and don't feel comfortable checking the console first, ask them to do it. Mind you there's usually a registration process so they should do it with your kid in mind (i.e. use an email you have access to, tell you the password). We used to do it in store if a tip was offered (typically €5-10!) but only when it wasn't busy so it was rare enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cargen

Thanks all.
    I will probably unpack and ensure it is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Donutz

chance of it being DOA are very low. However ... why would you not open it and give it a test run? Ever experience handing a loved one a gift and its broken? why take the chance?

+1 for this.

I bought a one x this time last year for a Santa present. Decided to set it up and install the latest firmware a few weeks before Xmas. Turns out the console was faulty so brought it back and got a replacement.

I can only imagine the horror if my child had woken up Christmas morning with no xbox to play.

• Advertisement
Advertisement