Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Layout Question

Options
  • 26-11-2018 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭

Quick question that might be obvious. I'm running a Virgin Media 3.0 router in modem only mode, with a separate router doing all the routing work. I've run out of ethernet ports on the router so picked up an ethernet switch to add in. My question is, can I add the switch between the modem and router, or should I have the router between the modem and the switch?

Edit: will have the likes of the following on the switch : Linux pc, xbox, PlayStation, android box, Philips hue hub, smart TV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I'd go Modem -> Router -> Switch -> All other devices (though you could add some parallel to the switch on spare router ports).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I'd go Modem -> Router -> Switch -> All other devices (though you could add some parallel to the switch on spare router ports).

Is that for routing/network reasons or security?

Mainly routing. It'd limit the ability to connect multiple devices to the internet at once.

The router is the brains of the operation. The modem receives one (external) IP address from your ISP. The router then assigns (internal) IP addresses to all the devices connected to it. This allows the devices to connect to the internet concurrently.

The router would provide some security too (firewall, NAT, etc.), but it's mainly to allow the router to do its job. Putting the switch between the modem and router would likely nullify the switch.

Mainly routing. It'd limit the ability to connect multiple devices to the internet at once.

The router is the brains of the operation. The modem receives one (external) IP address from your ISP. The router then assigns (internal) IP addresses to all the devices connected to it. This allows the devices to connect to the internet concurrently.

The router would provide some security too (firewall, NAT, etc.), but it's mainly to allow the router to do its job. Putting the switch between the modem and router would likely nullify the switch.

That makes sense. Does the VM Hub ditch any routing work when in modem mode?
    Theoretical question to help me get my head around this. If I wanted to get rid of wifi and create an ethernet only network within the house, would I still need the setup to be modem->router(wired)->switch?

Modem mode disables the wireless and routing functions of the VM Hub, passing them on for your own router to handle.

As long as the hub is in modem mode you'll need the router to control your network (either wired, wireless, or both) - the router handles both wired and wireless traffic on your network. For a wired only network you could disable WiFi in the router settings, or if the hub wasn't in modem mode you could ditch your router, disable WiFi in the Hub settings and go Hub -> Switch -> Devices if you wanted to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

That's the one.

Modem mode disables the wireless and routing functions of the VM Hub, passing them on for your own router to handle.

As long as the hub is in modem mode you'll need the router to control your network (either wired, wireless, or both) - the router handles both wired and wireless traffic on your network. For a wired only network you could disable WiFi in the router settings, or if the hub wasn't in modem mode you could ditch your router, disable WiFi in the Hub settings and go Hub -> Switch -> Devices if you wanted to.

Cheers. Had a feeling that was the case when I logged into the vm hub and noticed most of the options gone. Was hoping to move the router without rewiring :D

It occurred to me that I can probably change the VM Hub back out of modem mode but disable the wireless signal from it. Is there any issue with it doing the wired routing and the other router doing the wireless side of things? I've a mesh router with only a single ethernet port Ive been wanting to test out so that would let me swap it in.

Advertisement