Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free physical Revolut card

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 squonkie

Just back from Vegas and it was a godsend over there so you should have no problems in NYC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

OmegaGene wrote: »
    how does the second virtual card work ? does it come from the same account just different card details ?
    i just got a virtual visa

Yes it's just another card for the same account. It's handy to have a virtual card for sites like IPTV etc that don't take PayPal, enable the card for a transaction on the site you're concerned about and disable it after. I'm wondering now that I have a virtual card can I delete it and add a new one free of charge? Would be great if I could

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭tenreds

I just transferred money from my current account to my Revolut account about an hour ago, how long does it take to show up in my Revolut account as I’m not seeing it yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Only took seconds when I transferred €10 to set it up

I transferred it from current account using visa debit card.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Only took seconds when I transferred €10 to set it up

When I set it up a couple of weeks ago the €10 did take a day to go in to account but I thought that was because it was a new account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Driving licence or public service card won't word to activate the card for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

tenreds wrote: »
    I just transferred money from my current account to my Revolut account about an hour ago, how long does it take to show up in my Revolut account as I’m not seeing it yet
    Bank transfer? That's not going to be instant. Using your bank debit card would be.
    Jeff2 wrote: »
    Driving licence or public service card won't word to activate the card for me.
    I used my passport and it worked perfectly. We don't have a national ID card, which I believe is the other option.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Don't do bank transfer, you will be waiting days, top up using the revolut app and it will be instant.

Wheety wrote: »
    Bank transfer? That's not going to be instant. Using your bank debit card would be.

I used my passport and it worked perfectly. We don't have a national ID card, which I believe is the other option.

Sorry but how do use my debit card to transfer money,thanks for your help

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Frunchy

Does a standard Revolut account support Google Pay on Android?

• Advertisement

To top up your revolut card, open the revolut app, click the + icon, it will prompt you to add details of your bank card. Add your card details. Now you can top up instantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Press the "+" icon to top up using a debit or credit card, bank transfer or even Google Pay.

Frunchy wrote: »

Mastercard, yes. Visa, no. Source: https://support.google.com/pay/answer/7352140?hl=en

Only if your revolut card is mastercard, not if it's visa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Only if the Revolut card is Mastercard. Currently the standard revolut card is Visa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Top up button on the top left brings you to a menu where you can add cards or use Google Pay.

You can top up TO Revolut using any card in Google Pay or you can make payments FROM Revolut using Google Pay if it's a Mastercard Revolut card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

So can I set one up in my son's name,he's 13,or do I set one up in my name and let him use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

A little bit off topic, but if anyone uses Transferwise (which is pretty much the same as Revolut) they have started giving cards for free to irish users too. I like Transferwise's browser interface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

Lashes28 wrote: »
    So can I set one up in my son's name,he's 13,or do I set one up in my name and let him use it?

You have to be 18+ and there is ID verification so you will need to set up the account yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

cormie wrote: »
    I see on the exchange tab, that £329 is currently €369.74, and it changes every second or so up and down, then I probably need to deposit about €375 to cover any fluctuation between time of deposit and time of payment, and possible fees?

I made this payment about 12 hours ago and it said it went through both on my revolut account and for the seller too. The amount it says on the transaction is €369 and it also says 0 for fee. At the top though, it says pending... I mean if it goes through at €369, that's better than the exact rate when I wrote the above post, but I'm guessing the pending means fees are yet to be applied? If not, and I only get charged the €369, well that would be awesome :)

I made this payment about 12 hours ago and it said it went through both on my revolut account and for the seller too. The amount it says on the transaction is €369 and it also says 0 for fee. At the top though, it says pending... I mean if it goes through at €369, that's better than the exact rate when I wrote the above post, but I'm guessing the pending means fees are yet to be applied? If not, and I only get charged the €369, well that would be awesome :)

There are no fees. That's the price

• Advertisement

But if I got an even better rate than the "exchange" rate they were showing me earlier on the app, well, how do they make money off that transaction?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

camz09 wrote: »
    Hmm that's interesting..I'm arriving Sunday and would need to top up my Oyster card.

No need to top up your Oyster card as you can use your Revolut card as an Oyster card. You just need to have a minimum balance of £10 before you first tag on.

http://revolutapp.tumblr.com/post/146212645837/touch-it-tap-it-rev-it-welcome-to-revolut

Ok, very strange...

I have added two cards from two different bank accounts, but both with the same Irish bank, both with that banks logo on the card.. Both visa debit..

Revolut recognises one as the correct bank, the other it's saying it's a Royal Bank of Scotland card :confused:

Furthermore, if I put in the GBP amount of £329 to deposit... with the "Royal bank of Scotland" card, you see the £4.23 fee, but with the other, no fee displayed, it only displays "minimum topup is £10"

:confused:

The card that Revolut is adding on a fee for, I assume this is a business/commercial card? Under EU law, Revolut is allowed to add on a processing fee for business/commercial cards - that is all that is happening here. To avoid this fee, top up by electronic bank transfer from your business account.

The main thing to remember, if topping up from a euro bank account, always top up in euro! If you top up in GBP or any other currency, your bank will do the currency conversion which defeats the whole purpose of using Revolut.

Once you've topped up in euro, you can immediately convert to GBP in the Revolut app if you want to try and get the euro amount you've topped up by to exactly match the GBP amount you need.

Thanks a lot Quackster, you're right, it was a business account so that makes sense now. I think I saw something on Google about Royal Bank of Scotland buying some Irish banks, so maybe that's what's up with the card title then too?

The two accounts I have, in the same bank, are linked to the one login etc on internet banking, so what i did, was just deposit the amount from a non business account, and once I know the exact rate charged, I'll transfer that amount then from the business account to the non business account, so no hanging around for bank transfers.

Thanks OmegaGene too...
    So I guess if they aren't charging any fees, they aren't making any money off such transactions and maybe operating a loss leader to attract as many customers and then make money off the likes of the business fees etc?

I wonder how much £329 would have ended up costing me if I just paid with my bank debit card, so how much savings I made? :)

Great thanks again for your help!

So with regards to withdrawing cash in the UK or other countries, there's no charge there either? If I have EUR in my account, revolut just does the exchange at live rate and charges no fee, but there's a chance that particular ATMS/Banks will charge a fee for providing the service, right?

Thanks a lot Quackster, you're right, it was a business account so that makes sense now. I think I saw something on Google about Royal Bank of Scotland buying some Irish banks, so maybe that's what's up with the card title then too?

Ulster Bank is part of Royal Bank of Scotland group. I'd say what's happening is that Ulster Bank use a separate number range for Visa debit cards used on business accounts and the information available to Revolut is that that number range is used by RBS itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Chieftain

Hey folks,

Just used Revolut for the first time to buy something on Amazon for about 80 sterling. Didn't realize that online transactions were disabled and I'm seeing that an Amazon charge of €1.13 was declined. I have the online transactions enabled now. Just wondering what happens with the order now? And should the charge of 1.13 not been in sterling?.

Thanks

€1.13 was declined? Sounds like a £1 charge test which failed. Seems you'll have to try to pay again. Surely your Amazon order says something about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Chieftain wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Just used Revolut for the first time to buy something on Amazon for about 80 sterling. Didn't realize that online transactions were disabled and I'm seeing that an Amazon charge of €1.13 was declined. I have the online transactions enabled now. Just wondering what happens with the order now? And should the charge of 1.13 not been in sterling?.

Thanks

Check your order history on Amazon, they might not have dispatched/charged you yet, but you might have to reorder.

The charge is in Sterling, but if you haven't converted in the app, it'll show it in whatever currency your balance is in.

• Advertisement

The £1 test is normally done and then the full amount will be pending until it’s despatched

I was expecting the £1 charge alright, was just wondering if that being declined will mean they cancel the order altogether. Have the online transactions enabled now alright

I was expecting the £1 charge alright, was just wondering if that being declined will mean they cancel the order altogether. Have the online transactions enabled now alright

Ask Amazon. No idea why you're asking us here.

Ask Amazon. No idea why you're asking us here.

I was asking in here because it was the first time I had used the Revolut card and the thread contains numerous questions about the usage of the card. It was quite possible someone else in here would have had the same issue, and most people on here are very helpful.

is the item still in your basket ? it should be and if its not then add it to the basket and checkout

All seems ok with the order at the moment anyway. They have taken payment for one part of it anyway so should be all grand.

Thanks to all the helpful people in here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭camz09

Quackster wrote: »
    No need to top up your Oyster card as you can use your Revolut card as an Oyster card. You just need to have a minimum balance of £10 before you first tag on.

http://revolutapp.tumblr.com/post/146212645837/touch-it-tap-it-rev-it-welcome-to-revolut

Oh that's pretty cool. Will give it a go then. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭ozmo

Hey folks,
    .. I'm seeing that an Amazon charge of €1.13 was declined. I have the online transactions enabled now...

Happened to me - It was a sale item too that had gone up in price - so I just waited and they tried take it again - successfully this time.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Is the only way to top up through your visa debit?

You can bank transfer

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

I used Google Pay to top up......which is connected to my Visa Debit....

It's the quickest. Probably Mastercard debit too?

You can also use a credit card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Got the same a few mins ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

Got same email..... but putting a €10 on it to get it is new???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

RTÉ News: New geo-blocking rules come into effect today.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/1203/1014869-new-geo-blocking-rules-come-into-effect-today/

Does this rule out the need for revolut to buy on uk sites?
    What about using Amazon Prime UK?

RTÉ News: New geo-blocking rules come into effect today.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/1203/1014869-new-geo-blocking-rules-come-into-effect-today/

Does this rule out the need for revolut to buy on uk sites?
    What about using Amazon Prime UK?
    Doesn't really make a difference to Amazon Prime.
    The reason for using Revolut on UK sites is for the better exchange rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

My new card arrived yesterday in a fancy little presentation box/sleeve type thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

received my card and as poster above its packed quite nicely :), one question using it first time do i use pin thats displayed in my app settings under card, and how much to take out 10-20e for it to activate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

scamalert wrote: »
    received my card and as poster above its packed quite nicely :), one question using it first time do i use pin thats displayed in my app settings under card, and how much to take out 10-20e for it to activate?
    You can activate it by buying something, I used a Tesco self service checkout to activate the card, only bought something for a euro

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Can you add your Revolut Virtual Card to Apple Pay (ie same as your AIB Debit Card)? Or do you have to access the app when paying in a shop etc? Going to London at the weekend and not 100% on it. You don't need WiFi/Data to access the Virtual Card on the App I assume?

Revolut don't support paying by Apple Pay yet: https://www.revolut.com/help/exploring-revolut/spending/can-i-pay-with-apple-pay

Seems you can top up using Apple Pay though?! :/

callaway92 wrote: »
    Can you add your Revolut Virtual Card to Apple Pay (ie same as your AIB Debit Card)? Or do you have to access the app when paying in a shop etc? Going to London at the weekend and not 100% on it. You don't need WiFi/Data to access the Virtual Card on the App I assume?

You can't use the virtual card in a shop. The Revolut app can not be used with NFC terminals.

Can only use it for shopping online, unless you can add it to Google Pay/Apple Pay. As above, Apple Pay doens't support Revolut cards yet and I don't think you can use the Visa Revolut cards with Google Pay so you won't be able to use it in a shop.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement