Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disillusion- how to stop feeling this way?

• 26-11-2018 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

Brief intro- I'm in my fourth year teaching and have lost all interest/ motivation. Language subjects. I'll explain a bit more. I'm lucky enough to be in a nice school but find myself totally disillusioned with the job. Other factors aside, I have a very heavy timetable and it's so disheartening to see others with the same subjects as me sit drinking tea all day whilst I'm stuck in the classroom marking all of my copies/ tests for my four exam classes. I am very hard working- to be honest I've probably overworked myself in the last few years which hasn't helped. Took the time to correct in summer twice for the benefit of my teaching and found myself acquiring three extra exam classes this year for my trouble (while the teachers get wellbeing/ tutor class/ CSPE/ resource for the same pay as me/ more...).
    I'm just so fed up- terrible pay, demanding students and neverending work. I feel totally burnt out and disinterested. I definitely feel that I made the wrong career choice- I got an excellent Leaving Cert and I find myself looking at other friends who spent three years less than me in college and are earning about €20k more than me. On the surface everything looks fine- I'm working as hard as ever- but in myself I feel that I'm just going through the motions with no real passion or interest. I lack any real enthusiasm and I fear that some day soon this will seep into my teaching. Any ideas? Finding a new job isn't an option- have spent six years in college to qualify as a teacher (more fool me....) and am not financially able to take a risk here. Would appreciate any words of wisdom.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

It happens. There are peaks and troughs.
    Unfortunately, you probably have to bite the bullet for this school year, but it might be a good idea to talk to your principal and tell him/her that you feel like you’re under a lot of pressure and ask for a year with no fifth year class, so that you won’t have a sixth year class the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dublin112321

Hi, thanks for this reply. I appreciate it. I am just finding it monotonous and demanding. Of course there are lots of lovely students but I am finding the demands of others (and laziness) tedious at this point. Has anyone got any other advice? I am now in the mindset of very much getting the work done, but little extra. I just can't seem to reignite any passion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

No advice really. Only that I am too feeling it this year and it’s my 5th year teaching.

No advice really. Only that I am too feeling it this year and it’s my 5th year teaching.

I know. I have a good work ethic and would much rather work for somewhere where I am valued and get paid accordingly. I suppose I have to be savvier. Won't be correcting anymore so that will hopefully eliminate picking up exam classes, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

I would think that a lot of your post and unhappiness is in things you have no control over. Your own wages, your friends wages, the apathy of some teachers around you. You'll have limited influence to change these things but you can do lots to improve your own view towards the job and the great opportunity you have to make a difference to the lives of 100s of people.
    You have 3 extra exam classes. Well that's brilliant for the kids. You are clearly someone who works hard and they are probably very lucky to have you. Rather you than those teachers in the staff room drinking tea. The kids are demanding.....great... better than what a lot of teachers have which is kids with zero interest in school. If they are ungrateful...well they are teenagers, lots are unfortunately but there will be those that recognise the hard work you do and what's more important is that you recognise it....that you know you are doing a good job and are proud of the work. We all know those teachers that do hardly anything, get the so called easy classes, no correcting etc.....but don't envy their apathy....what job satisfaction do they have. Your pay will improve, it is an awful situation. The best and hardest working teacher in our school has only 4 years experience and is on this punishing new pay. I'm sure it annoys him, hell it annoys me to see those 30 years his senior making far more but he gets a lot out of the job, the kids want to be in his class, the parents know he's great and he certainly has the respect of his colleagues (though I would say it is the least of his worries).
    I imagine that you have or had a passion for your subject, don't lose that. If you aren't enthusiastic about it the kids won't be.
    You do sound overworked and I would try and make rules for yourself so that you have time for yourself....and that can be at the expense of the demanding kids. Let them, you can only do so much. Often we think that we have to get something done as the kids are waiting for it...whilst alot of them aren't thinking about it at all!! This can be hard but have a look on the internet for some videos on people who have implemented an 80% rule. Workaholics who have decided that they would do things to 80% of their best to allow for some time for themselves. You will find that your 80% is better than most peoples 100% and will be enough to more than do justice to the job and give yourself space!!
    Don't become one of those teachers on he couch giving out. The student's deserve more than that but more importantly you do! All the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭limnam

I find myself looking at other friends who spent three years less than me in college and are earning about €20k more than me.

They most likely work 3 months more than you do

Swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

When you say your subject is languages, I presume you mean foreign languages? I know all teachers can become fatigued at some point during their careers but I have noticed it is particularly acute among colleagues of mine who are foreign language teachers. I think this is for a number of reasons.

Languages *are* difficult and many pupils struggle with them, particularly at senior cycle (and yes before people attack me I recognise other subjects are difficult too). But just look at our record of learning Irish and / or the shortage of language teachers. To properly learn a language takes a lot of time, effort and perseverance.

You are listening to bad French / German / Spanish all day long (if you can even get them to speak at all) and this is painful.

You are teaching a subject that is very much skill based. Learning to speak a language is a real skill and not just knowledge based. In addition, you are teaching them not just to write your subject but to speak, listen to and read it. This is exhausting and incredibly challenging (32 pupils × 4 skills).

Most foreign language teachers have invested a long time in their subject (I myself did a 4 year degree, 2 years in the country and a further 2 years in training) and see very little return for their effort. I also feel like when you learn a language and live abroad the language becomes part of you and your life. This may sound cliché but it is demoralising when students refuse to speak it.

I know I will get the wrath of non language teachers here but I just wanted to empathise with you if you are indeed a teacher of languages! I love teaching languages but I do become fatigued with it, particularly when I encounter the apathy of students and colleagues alike. Having taught in other countries, it is also alarming in Ireland to witness how people who earn the most are usually the ones who do the least. Not always obviously but I too am surrounded by it in the staffroom. I strongly believe management positions should be linked to performance and I cannot understand why some of the most incompetent, lazy, and ineffective members of staff are chosen to become Year Heads, etc.

Anyways, to combat the frustration and fatigue in my own subject area I meet up with and speak to friends who are native speakers as much as possible, I routinely go to the cinema to watch films in the foreign language, and I use the longer holidays to travel back to the country / countries where the languages are spoken. All of this reminds me why I love my subject so much and while it may not be a skill which is always appreciated in school, it is one which has changed my life beyond the insular classroom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Hi, thanks for this reply. I appreciate it. I am just finding it monotonous and demanding. Of course there are lots of lovely students but I am finding the demands of others (and laziness) tedious at this point. Has anyone got any other advice? I am now in the mindset of very much getting the work done, but little extra. I just can't seem to reignite any passion.
    Having been at home with my own kids I went back subbing in September, since then I have worked in five different schools .This is what I think from that experience, teachers are being pulled in too many directions ie. kids being taken out of class for matches and trips, some new school initiative that has to be implemented, dept. meeting, s and s, technology hiccups, planning, testing, paper work, extra curricular, mountains of stuff. Teaching was always busy but now more so.If only teachers could get on with teaching their subject but as I say I saw it all everyone running around like mad, mayhem.

I came home exhausted and decided that I would adopt a new strategy regarding class planning.I would plan around text types and do a sheet for each text type with a list of classroom teaching activities for text exploration and skills development. I have made some already wrote them out then typed them up, now I have a good framework and know I can pick a text, look at the skills that I want them to develop or the type of text exploration I want to do and I have a framework. Of course I will still need to know and explore the text myself but the framework is there and I think this is something I can work with.

The other problems I have no answer for teachers are just overworked and it is not good, how can tired over stretched teachers perform well. I would agree with Williant that it is good if you can do thing that help you switch off and travel for your summer holidays.I think the planning required now places great demands on teachers and it seems very hard to get on top of it not because teachers aren't able to but because as I said I think they are being pulled in far too many directions and everyone ends up over stretched. Maybe ultimately there is another type of school that would suit you or you could consider getting into the area of adult education.You sound like a brilliant teacher with a lot to give but you don't want to burn yourself out either.You probably know a lot of this already anyway, it's tough.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I would advise you to talk to your Principal. Put it in writing. I really dont believe your friends are earning 20k more than you. At What? As pointed out you do have 3 months plus time off. You have a secure job etc
    Dont correct over the summer you have done it so no need to do it again.

You have power over yourself-dont kill the golden goose by burning yourself out. If you do-you have only yourself to blame.

If the Principal wont heed your appeal then step back from all voluntary work. Including class tutor. This you do have power over. I hear too many new teachers complaining of stress but who literally agree to do everything they are asked to do. Even after they have contracts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

Bobtheman wrote: »
    You have power over yourself-dont kill the golden goose by burning yourself out. If you do-you have only yourself to blame.

If the Principal wont heed your appeal then step back from all voluntary work. Including class tutor. This you do have power over. I hear too many new teachers complaining of stress but who literally agree to do everything they are asked to do. Even after they have contracts

That's putting all the responsibility on them though ...who wants to be the one with the balls to stand up and say no when so few others do, it can still have lots of potential disadvantages

The system itself/management should bear some responsibility to not overburden/exploit workers, they shouldn't keep com8ng back to the well asking for more and giving nothing in return.

"Reforms" if the recent ones benefit students at all should also come hand in hand with reforms that benefit the teacher and student like reduction in pupil teacher ratio, reduction in contact hours, proper resourcing, proper disciplinary back up, an inspectorate that functions as support and identifies how the teacher can be given the tools they need to do the job rather than functioning as some sort of schizophrenic bogey man...

If less yellow packing was going on this thread might not exist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭derb12

I don’t teach a language, but here is what one of my colleagues does now after years of plowing through piles of copies weekly. At the start of class, students swap copies and correct while she projects the answers on the board and deals with any “what about” questions for about 5 or 10 mins. While that are working through some classroom activity later in the class, she calls up 4 or 5 students and checks back over the last week or two of work and makes notes. She found that essays they were producing from home were heavily google translated so she got them to prepare an essay at home and produce it under exam conditions in a class test. That way she was only correcting their actual work. If anything her students learnt more and her workload dropped dramatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

derb12 wrote: »
    I don’t teach a language, but here is what one of my colleagues does now after years of plowing through piles of copies weekly. At the start of class, students swap copies and correct while she projects the answers on the board and deals with any “what about” questions for about 5 or 10 mins. While that are working through some classroom activity later in the class, she calls up 4 or 5 students and checks back over the last week or two of work and makes notes. She found that essays they were producing from home were heavily google translated so she got them to prepare an essay at home and produce it under exam conditions in a class test. That way she was only correcting their actual work. If anything her students learnt more and her workload dropped dramatically.

Fantastic idea!!! Thanks for your post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

I am in exactly the same situation. It’s like I read my own thoughts online. I have been saving for a year to go back to college to train for a total career change. My advice to you: get out while you’re still young enough to retrain and cut your losses. Nepotism is alive and well and you will continue to be worked while others drink tea. It’s not worth the stress or the “holidays”. Leave.

Many thanks for all of your replies. It really is much appreciated. For those of you that plan to leave, what are you retraining as?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭acequion

derb12 wrote: »

As a language teacher I also find this post excellent, fantastic advice there on working smarter. I have mainly English these years and I'd use a similar system of peer marking for their shorter pieces in order to cut down on the volume of correcting. It can get overwhelming.

A fantastic post also some time back by Williaint on the trials and tribulations of teaching languages. Agree with practically every word of that post. I'm hugely passionate about languages having learnt to speak three fluently and I also feel very frustrated by the general attitude to languages in this country. In fact I stopped asking for French on my timetable when my school decided to adopt mixed ability classes at senior cycle. Wherever else mixed ability classes might work, not a hope in hell in languages. Very demoralising and it's why I much prefer teaching English.

And OP,unfortunately I have no words of encouragement for you. I agree with the poster who advised you get out. It's not going to get easier. I'm coming to the end of my career but up to the recession and the consequent slaughter of pay and conditions, plus naked hostility from the public I was very happy in teaching. But I've found the last few years exhausting with all the crap that's been flung at us, though I still like to teach. And if I were 10-15 years younger I wouldn't hesitate to retrain for another career. Life is too short to force yourself to continue in a situation you have no passion for. Like a bad marriage you'll eventually end up hating it. Bleak words, I know but you really need to think long and hard.

As for the comments re teachers hanging out in the staff room drinking tea,I'm quite amazed at that as I haven't seen it for many years. Maybe it still happens in some schools,but less and less from what I hear. My school is a bee hive where young and not so young buzz at speed from the second they arrive in the morning. It has all become quite crazy. People actually worked a lot better back in the days where they had more breaks to chat and laugh in the staff room and not take it all so seriously

But best of luck to you,OP, I appreciate that it's not easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

This thread has caught my attention as I'm also a languages teacher, but in training in England atm, where the pay and conditions are absolutely atrocious with no work/life balance. Seeing it in my placement schools has been awful and it has really put me off the profession over there, but I would need to do an NQT first to be eligible to come back here and teach. Is it really bad in Ireland too? I don't want to not do the NQT and end up unable to teach here and regretting it, but equally I don't want to put myself through it all to a) not find a job here or b) find one and hate it.

On that note, for all the talk about a shortage of languages teachers, there are very few jobs posted online in all the time I've checked. Even when there are, they are almost exclusively maternity leave covers. Is it even worth the while trying to get into it here anymore?! Or am I not looking in the right places?

And to you OP, I would first commend your work ethic; as others have said you definitely make a difference to the kids in exam years, but if they're demanding and ungrateful I can totally understand how that would get on your nerves. I've had quite demanding kids this year but they were always very appreciative of the work I did, which makes a big difference. I'd second the idea about peer assessment - it works particularly well with short pieces of homework that you can ask others to translate, and it's a bit of fun for them to read their friends' work :) Little strategies like that to lighten your workload with no discernible difference to the kids' work (after all, any small errors that might be missed, either they wouldn't have processed it anyway or they'll ask / you can do spot checks) are invaluable in this profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Teacher0101

Leaving isn't always that handy.

Put less focus on school at home. The students will still get their grades, you'll still get paid.

If others are doing less, just do less. Department wants professionals, they can pay us like them and sort out post 2011
    pay scales.

And parents - kids are an accessory that they want you to bring up. Just be nice to them, but just float along. **** it. On your deathbed are you
    going to regret trying that trendy new lesson plan.

Thanks all. Glad to know others are in the same boat. I have definitely taken a step back of late. I feel as though I have no energy left to argue with students. If they don’t want to do the work there’s not a lot I can do about it, especially if parents are unsupportive. Wary of pushing the kids too hard so I will take a step back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 funkypumpkins

Thanks all. Glad to know others are in the same boat. I have definitely taken a step back of late. I feel as though I have no energy left to argue with students. If they don’t want to do the work there’s not a lot I can do about it, especially if parents are unsupportive. Wary of pushing the kids too hard so I will take a step back.

Same as Canard, I am Irish, but trained over here and live in the UK as a Languages Teacher (I am an NQT). The problem I am finding is kids don't appreciate having to put the work in to learning a foreign language (unless they really like it, take to it). It's a subject that you need to have some independent work ethic, which, over here, teens generally do not have. . We can do all the flashy Powerpoints all you want over here, Interventions, but if the kids don't want to do homework, parents don't support you/don't care/don't value languages despite Brexit, then there is not much you can do).

The reality is teaching can be very rewarding yet can be a very thankless job. Obviously, the Irish context is quite different to over here, so I am mindful of my reflections but I guess you have to look after yourself first and foremost. You can differentiate and plan till the cows come home sometimes and the desired effects might not work and/or be appreciated. Languages are a very tricky subject sadly and the co-operation of the kids is needed and some independent work is needed to do well, despite any interventions or attempts you make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

Honestly, It happens in every job as far as I can see.

I trained as a teacher and taught for a few months, found out it was not for me and left to study something else, which lead me to where I a now. Teaching qualifications can lead you in all sorts of paths. Mine lead me to finance, management, consultancy and currently working in a job that I love.

You have to roll with the punches in life. Even if you trained for one career does not mean that it is the career that fulfills you mentally and emotionally.

Change is good, far too many people are scared of it. If you have been teaching for a few years, maybe it is time for a change?

(just my two cents)

• Advertisement

Canard I did the exact same route as you in England and then came home so keep at it! I just wanted to offer some words of encouragement.

Yes, you will have to complete your induction in England before the TC will register you. As I'm sure you're aware, the NQT will involve more observations, scrutiny and criticism but it is a necessary evil no matter where you plan to teach in the world. I actually found it easier than my PGCE due to an horrific mentor I had during my training but it all depends on the school.

I also competed a Masters in Education before returning to Ireland to ensure I had no shortfalls compared to the PME here. I wanted to do the Masters anyway, and the TC led me to believe I absolutely had to have one, but I now know there are plenty of people in my staffroom in Ireland who trained post 2014 and they don't have Masters so maybe the PGCE and NQT are enough!

So to answer your question: the system is a lot tougher over there with way more scrutiny and accountability but it will all stand to you when you come home. Ireland is the other extreme where there is no accountability and you have *some* of the most ineffective and incompetent individuals in management positions who could not manage their way out of a paper bag. In England they would be removed from their post if they weren't up to it.

But I would argue that the politics and cronyism is way worse in Ireland. Yes longer holidays and better pay (if you get full-time) but in Ireland you are judged on how long you have been in the school and who you know. In England you are judged on how well you teach and how good you are at your job.

The experience in England will stand to you and once you finish your PGCE you will most definitely get full-time employment over there including teaching exam years, so no faffing around on part-time contracts. With languages you will definitely get work in Ireland, I got permanent full-time straight away but I did have several years teaching experience in England and elsewhere. Don't judge the job opportunities on what you see mid year, May / June is the best time to judge what is available in Ireland.

Keep at it and all those targets, results analysis, meetings, etc will stand to you! Mark my words!

Canard wrote: »
    This thread has caught my attention as I'm also a languages teacher, but in training in England atm, where the pay and conditions are absolutely atrocious with no work/life balance. Seeing it in my placement schools has been awful and it has really put me off the profession over there, but I would need to do an NQT first to be eligible to come back here and teach. Is it really bad in Ireland too? I don't want to not do the NQT and end up unable to teach here and regretting it, but equally I don't want to put myself through it all to a) not find a job here or b) find one and hate it.

On that note, for all the talk about a shortage of languages teachers, there are very few jobs posted online in all the time I've checked. Even when there are, they are almost exclusively maternity leave covers. Is it even worth the while trying to get into it here anymore?! Or am I not looking in the right places?

And to you OP, I would first commend your work ethic; as others have said you definitely make a difference to the kids in exam years, but if they're demanding and ungrateful I can totally understand how that would get on your nerves. I've had quite demanding kids this year but they were always very appreciative of the work I did, which makes a big difference. I'd second the idea about peer assessment - it works particularly well with short pieces of homework that you can ask others to translate, and it's a bit of fun for them to read their friends' work :) Little strategies like that to lighten your workload with no discernible difference to the kids' work (after all, any small errors that might be missed, either they wouldn't have processed it anyway or they'll ask / you can do spot checks) are invaluable in this profession.

williaint wrote: »
    Ireland is the other extreme where there is no accountability

I would completely disagree with this! You mustn't be long back in Ireland if you're not aware of the current obsession with accountability. Granted it's not as bad as in England where teachers and school managers are inspected to within an inch of their lives, but to say there's no accountability here is a thousand miles wide of the mark.

Oh so do principals and deputy principals lose their posts if an inspection doesn't go well? This is news to me but maybe it does happen in Ireland! This happened in the first school I worked in, a deputy principal who was lovely to me when I was a NQT was gone within 6 months of an inspection. When I talk about accountability I mean your pay being frozen or losing your post of responsiblity, I don't mean having to fill in some extra paperwork...

Posts of responsibility are reviewed annually and if you are not performing well (e.g. Year Head, etc) the school advertises the post and you are obliged to re apply along other candidates. I certainly don't see A or B post holders (or whatever they're called in Ireland now) in my school fretting about their performance or worried the post may be taken off them. It seems once you hold an A or B post, you have it for the rest of your teaching career even if you are the most ineffective person in the school. Correct me if I'm wrong as I have been teaching in several countries, not just Ireland. And yet, I hasten to add, there are *some* amazing postholders in my school who go above and beyond the duties of their post, and they also deserve recognition.

Finally, just a note on the system in England, most state schools are academies which means they are private limited companies. Teachers are paid by the school or trust, not the Dept of Education, so schools have absolute authority over pay. They can set, freeze or increase your pay as they wish, all based on performance. For me, this is real accountability. I'm not arguing it's right or justified, just explaining my understanding of accountability in teaching after having taught elsewhere.

acequion wrote: »
    I would completely disagree with this! You mustn't be long back in Ireland if you're not aware of the current obsession with accountability. Granted it's not as bad as in England where teachers and school managers are inspected to within an inch of their lives, but to say there's no accountability here is a thousand miles wide of the mark.

williaint wrote: »
    Oh so do principals and deputy principals lose their posts if an inspection doesn't go well? This is news to me but maybe it does happen in Ireland! This happened in the first school I worked in, a deputy principal who was lovely to me when I was a NQT was gone within 6 months of an inspection. When I talk about accountability I mean your pay being frozen or losing your post of responsiblity, I don't mean having to fill in some extra paperwork...

Posts of responsibility are reviewed annually and if you are not performing well (e.g. Year Head, etc) the school advertises the post and you are obliged to re apply along other candidates. I certainly don't see A or B post holders (or whatever they're called in Ireland now) in my school fretting about their performance or worried the post may be taken off them. It seems once you hold an A or B post, you have it for the rest of your teaching career even if you are the most ineffective person in the school. Correct me if I'm wrong as I have been teaching in several countries, not just Ireland. And yet, I hasten to add, there are *some* amazing postholders in my school who go above and beyond the duties of their post, and they also deserve recognition.

Finally, just a note on the system in England, most state schools are academies which means they are private limited companies. Teachers are paid by the school or trust, not the Dept of Education, so schools have absolute authority over pay. They can set, freeze or increase your pay as they wish, all based on performance. For me, this is real accountability. I'm not arguing it's right or justified, just explaining my understanding of accountability in teaching after having taught elsewhere.

The end of your post comes across as much more reasonable as the sarcasm at the start is uncalled for!!

I'm relieved to hear that you're not advocating that the cut throat system in England be applied here. There is a reason why they can't attract people into the profession there and why those in are leaving in droves.

While we might not lose our jobs here we are certainly held accountable. Accountable for our exam results. Accountable for every special needs child in our classes. Accountable for our disciplinary methods. Accountable to the inspector, to school management, to collegues within subject departments, to parents and indeed to the students themselves. There are many kinds of accountability and many ways to hold people accountable and it's certainly not lacking in modern education in Ireland. We now have public fitness to teach hearings,which are akin to public floggings imo. As I'm neither a post holder,nor in management,I can't really comment there, but just because somebody doesn't lose their jobs if the inspection doesn't go well it doesn't mean they don't suffer. Ireland is a small and very finger pointing country. And much and all as I'm wont to criticise management for often not adequately supporting staff, it's been a very long time since I've come across incompetence.

While I have never taught in England,nor would ever have wanted to, I have taught in schools in France, Belgium and Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

It's the department, minister and powers that be should be held accountable if you ask me.

Provide decent pupil teacher ratios, reduce contact hours, proper resourcing, give teachers actual authority and support systems to deal with continuously disruptive pupils that don't seek to shift blame back to teacher regardless of where it should go (ie: proper disciplinary backup etc)...then we can talk about accountability.

Advertisement