Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hpv vaccine

• 26-11-2018 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has knowledge on hpv vaccine I got offered it recently from gum clinic, is it worth getting? By the sound of it yes, it’s low risk of effects, and could prevent cancer, so all good right?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

normaldude wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has knowledge on hpv vaccine I got offered it recently from gum clinic, is it worth getting? By the sound of it yes, it’s low risk of effects, and could prevent cancer, so all good right?

Yes, it’s very much worth getting. At the GHMS clinic it is currently available to young men aged 26 and under, though a staff member told me that they were considering making it available to all men under 55 years of age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is that the one that is a course of different vaccines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its multiple shots of the same vaccine. Its definitely worth getting; the value is higher the less potential exposure you have had to HPV already which is why there is an upper age limit - but its probably going to be increased as there is still value.

L1011 wrote: »
    Its multiple shots of the same vaccine. Its definitely worth getting; the value is higher the less potential exposure you have had to HPV already which is why there is an upper age limit - but its probably going to be increased as there is still value.

Is it a live vaccine? I’m on medication which precludes me receiving live vaccines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm 99% certain its inactivated but I'm not a medical professional and haven't even worked tangentially in the sector since 2013 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8 mttdhg

Dunno about the live vaccine part, but the HPV vaccines I received from the clinic (3 in total) were called Gardasil. Im sure a bitta googling might reveal the answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is it a live vaccine? I’m on medication which precludes me receiving live vaccines

Hi. I’m in similar boat. Is it immunosuppressants your on

adam88 wrote: »
    Hi. I’m in similar boat. Is it immunosuppressants your on
    Yes I'm on biologic injections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Gael23 wrote: »
    Yes I'm on biologic injections.

I got the hpv vaccine, well the first dose anyway. So it must be okay to get it while on immunosuppressants

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Irishgay84

Hi Gael,

I got diagnosed with Crohn’s last year and I’m on humira and imuran so I can’t take a live vaccine either. I spoke to my consultant about what vaccinations I should get and he suggested the HPV, Hep A & Hep B seeing as I’m gay. So I went to the GMHS on Baggott Street and explained my situation and despite being over 26 they gave me the HPV vaccine which consisted of 3 injections, one two months after the first shot and another one at six months after the first shot. I also got the Hep B vaccinations there too. Had to go to my own doc for the Hep A.

Hope that helps.

I suggest that you speak to your GP or consultant before getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

The age limit has been extended to under 45. I also got the first shot and due the second soon. I was chatting with a doc mate of mine and asked about the reality of the vaccine. He basically said if you’ve had anal sex before getting the vaccine then it won’t be as effective. The way I look at it is if it does any good at all it’s worth it. It’s also free, a mate in the US was charged $600 and that was with his insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Has anyone tried to get this recently. I rang the GMHS vaccination clinic phone number and have yet to receive a reply. Wondering if there's a huge waiting list like there is for the free Prep clinic or should I just try again at a better time.

Advertisement