Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED Bulbs constantly going

Options
  • 27-11-2018 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

I got the kitchen wired recently to have 6 recessed LED GU10 spotlights on a dimmer switch. I use dimmer switch compatible 500 lumen bulbs.

In the six months since I've had it, the bulbs have been constantly going out. I've replaced at least 5 of them so far, all with the same model of bulb.

I'm wondering, could this be a problem with how it's wired, or did I just pick a dodgy model of bulb?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The issue may be due to low quality lamps.
    Try a good make such as Philips.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I'm currently using Greenlamp bulbs, which were pretty expensive.
    Having a hard time finding dimmable bulbs of a high enough luminance.

How are these Osram ones?

https://www.lights.ie/led-reflector-bulb-120-gu10-7-2-w-dimmable-140956-ie-en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Issue could be the bulbs but I think it could be something else too.

I've replaced a lot of the old 50w spots with Led GU10 and have had no issue with over 80 spots except for in one kitchen of one house. Had to change the same spots (4 out of 6) that worked without any issue in other houses (which should be wired exactly the same) four times and still they don't work for more than a couple of hours never mind the 50,000 they are supposed to.

The owner reckons it's just one of those things and not worth his while paying an electrician 50 euro an hour to get to the root of the problem.

Please don't anyone reply telling me about overheads for tradesmen and traffic and no paid holidays. Just please don't.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

OP - have you confirmed that your dimmer switch is compatible with LEDs?

OP - have you confirmed that your dimmer switch is compatible with LEDs?

This is the kind of stuff that can cure headaches.

Great post.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Please don't anyone reply telling me about overheads for tradesmen and traffic and no paid holidays. Just please don't.
    Perhaps you would prefer them to work at a loss to please you, but in the real world that's simply not going to happen. So you might as well understand why the rates are what they are.

Anytime somebody tells me that a price or bill is exorbitant I tell them to show me how it's unreasonable for a REC. The fact is they haven't a clue what they're talking about. It's not my problem that they have wrongly decided that it should cost tuppence an hour with no basis for such a belief.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Perhaps you would prefer them to work at a loss to please you, but in the real world that's simply not going to happen. So you might as well understand why the rates are what they are.

Anytime somebody tells me that a price or bill is exorbitant I tell them to show me how it's unreasonable for a REC. The fact is they haven't a clue what they're talking about. It's not my problem that they have wrongly decided that it should cost tuppence an hour with no basis for such a belief.

Wrong assumption Risteard, totally wrong.

I live in the real world Risteard, where nobody earns or is paid tuppence an hour and where posters like you are considered boring.

Give it a rest Risteard please, I actually asked before you posted.

I actually asked before you posted.
    You brought the issue up - not anyone else. So you have no right to now suggest that it's not up for discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

Risteard81 wrote: »
    You brought the issue up - not anyone else. So you have no right to now suggest that it's not up for discussion.

Risteard
    I think that Rows Grower was asking that the post not be dragged down this boring, dreary, spirit sapping, off-topic, thread killer of an argument.

I won't be responding to any off-topic responses so please don't attempt to draw me into one.

Risteard
    I think that Rows Grower was asking that the post not be dragged down this boring, dreary, spirit sapping, off-topic, thread killer of an argument.

I won't be responding to any off-topic responses so please don't attempt to draw me into one.

The fact remains that he is the only one to have brought it up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Ok, can we get back on topic now please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Blisterman wrote: »
    I got the kitchen wired recently to have 6 recessed LED GU10 spotlights on a dimmer switch. I use dimmer switch compatible 500 lumen bulbs.

In the six months since I've had it, the bulbs have been constantly going out. I've replaced at least 5 of them so far, all with the same model of bulb.

I'm wondering, could this be a problem with how it's wired, or did I just pick a dodgy model of bulb?
    Is it only LEDs on the dimmer switch or are they mixed with 50w GU10s? Also, is it an LED dimmer? If it's not an LED dimmer then the LEDs will flicker, but they won't flicker if there at least one 50w on the same circuit so take out all the 50w and leave only the LEDs to check this.

alan4cult wrote: »
    Is it only LEDs on the dimmer switch or are they mixed with 50w GU10s? Also, is it an LED dimmer? If it's not an LED dimmer then the LEDs will flicker, but they won't flicker if there at least one 50w on the same circuit so take out all the 50w and leave only the LEDs to check this.

A depth of knowledge, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

They are only LEDs and only have been since they were installed. I specifically asked for the dimmer to be compatible with LEDs. Now, whether the electrician chose the correct model, I don't know.
    I do know the first bulbs I installed, cheapo ones from amazon, caused the dimmer to have a horrible buzzing sound, which went away when I replaced them with the current ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

It's a trailing edge type dimmer you want for leds if I remember correct.

Might be worth looking for a loose connection. I found an issue with cheap b&q fittings once, you know the ones with the awful quality connectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Blisterman wrote: »
    They are only LEDs and only have been since they were installed. I specifically asked for the dimmer to be compatible with LEDs. Now, whether the electrician chose the correct model, I don't know.
    I do know the first bulbs I installed, cheapo ones from amazon, caused the dimmer to have a horrible buzzing sound, which went away when I replaced them with the current ones.

The dimmers May suit LEDs but are the LEDs dimmable?

Advertisement