If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is screen burn in defined on OLED tv's

Options
  • 27-11-2018 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of getting an LG OLED 55" screen with 6 year guarantee but have seen a mention elsewhere that any blemishes that appear onscreen will be classed as BURN IN and the 6 year guarantee is as good a a f**t in a space suit.

Is this correct and if not how do I distinguish between BURN IN and a fault like banding?

I dont want to shell out 2k and be sold a pup.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

swoofer wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting an LG OLED 55" screen with 6 year guarantee but have seen a mention elsewhere that any blemishes that appear onscreen will be classed as BURN IN and the 6 year guarantee is as good a a f**t in a space suit.

Is this correct and if not how do I distinguish between BURN IN and a fault like banding?

I dont want to shell out 2k and be sold a pup.
    Hi Swoofer.

You are correct our guarantee would not cover screen burn as this is usually caused by misuse.

We have sold thousands on OED screens and only ever seen two of the early versions get screen burn.

Any issues we would send out the manufacturers engineers and they would make the call if its a faulty or misuse.

Our 6 year guarantee is there for piece of mind should you TV develop a fault that we will cover it.
    Burning a SKY sports logo or speed dial for gaming into the screen can not be classed as a fault.
    Just like plasma when image retention was a serious problem.

If every OLED had issues they would not sell.

Its just like anything ever made, some of them can and will go faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Misuse, interesting. What exactly is misuse classified as. Not stirring the pot I'm genuinely curious. If I watched mixed material i.e broadcast Tv and game for a few hours a night and I still get burn in is that considered "misuse"? Nearly every TV channel has a static logo or the likes of Sky Sports News etc.  with huge red banners/tickers etc. Is it misuse if I watch this content?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

@Swoofer

Thanks for the post - Banding is completely different to screen burn - as Kenny has said it is remarkably difficult to get screen burn on the later generations of OLED - however if you do spot burn-in then there is a pretty efficient screen wash routine that fixes it - However, if you do watch one channel for many hours a day with an especially vivid screen log and you don't want to use the screen wash routine then I'd say don't get an OLED - stick with a QLED.

To be fair if Customers are aware that because of their particular usage that there is a risk and that risk is well publicised then our advice would be to avoid the potential for risk!

With regard to your comments about our 6 year warranty being
    'as good a a f**t in a space suit.'

I'm sure many Customers who purchased a TV from other retailers 3, 4, 5 , 6 years ago with an issue on their TV would probably wish they had purchased their TV from us and had the benefit of our 6 year warranty - our 6 year warranty offers an at home engineer call-out service and free repair, up to replacement for 6 years after the date of purchase - again if you don't think it's worthwhile then of course you don't have to avail of it.

Finally I'm not sure many Customers, reviewers or experts refer to any OLED as 'pups' they genuinely all offer pretty superb PQ and represent the biggest advance since Plasma - but we do respect your opinion and again if you are worried I'd recommend a QLED which have different qualities OLED and that may suit your particular requirements better.

@ Moolers - hopefully I have answered your query above and as Kenny has said we have seen single figure instances of screen burn, pretty much each of which has been resolved by the built in routines without requiring service - but again there IS the potential for screen burn with OLED

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks for the reply John, so if you get screen burn is it classified as misuse regardless of how much care you may taken to avoid prolonged (how long is too long) static or high contrast images. Even though its nearly unavoidable in 2018!! Just trying to understand the stance of RS and manufacturers, not looking to rattle any cages here.

Is it more or less prone to burn than a plasma? I have used plasmas for approx 15 years and avoided burn without too much difficulty or thought to what I was watching, a bit of temporay retention here and there but that quickly dissappears.

Thanks
    Moo

Moolers,

where did I say?
    'so if you get screen burn is it classified as misuse regardless of how much care you may taken to avoid prolonged (how long is too long) static or high contrast images.'

That is not what I said at all and you are misrepresenting me.

What I did say was:
    ..as Kenny has said it is remarkably difficult to get screen burn on the later generations of OLED - however if you do spot burn-in then there is a pretty efficient screen wash routine that fixes it - However, if you do watch one channel for many hours a day with an especially vivid screen logo and you don't want to use the screen wash routine then I'd say don't get an OLED

As you say you have avoided screen burn with a Plasma for 15 years - then you will not have any issue with an OLED - they are far less prone to screen burn than Plasma - but again it is a possibility - if a user is aware of a  potential issue and they ignore issue then the Customer is somewhat liable for the issue - however this is somewhat academic as we have yet to have an unresolved issue with OLED screen burn and we have sold 1000's of OLEDS locally in Ireland.

I'm happy to continue with the discussion but again we do not have any unresolved OLED screen burn issues.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Moolers,

where did I say?
    'so if you get screen burn is it classified as misuse regardless of how much care you may taken to avoid prolonged (how long is too long) static or high contrast images.' That is not what I said at all and you are misrepresenting me.

What I did say was'
    '...as Kenny has said it is remarkably difficult to get screen burn on the later generations of OLED - however if you do spot burn-in then there is a pretty efficient screen wash routine that fixes it - However, if you do watch one channel for many hours a day with an especially vivid screen logo and you don't want to use the screen wash routine then I'd say don't get an OLED'

.as you say you have avoided screen burn with a Plasma for 15 years - then you will not have any issue with an OLED - they are far less prone to screen burn than Plasma - but again it is a possibility - if a user is aware of a  potential issue and they ignore issue then the Customer is somewhat liable for the issue - however this is somewhat academic as we have yet to have an unresolved issue with OLED screen burn and we have sold 1000's of OLEDS locally in Ireland.

I'm happy to continue with the discussion but again we do not have any unresolved OLED screen burn issues 

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Salty much! I didn't quote you John, just trying to understand, obviously a touchy subject, I'll leave it there, I reckon I would chance it regardless. 

Moolers,

where did I say?
    'so if you get screen burn is it classified as misuse regardless of how much care you may taken to avoid prolonged (how long is too long) static or high contrast images.' That is not what I said at all and you are misrepresenting me.

What I did say was'
    '...as Kenny has said it is remarkably difficult to get screen burn on the later generations of OLED - however if you do spot burn-in then there is a pretty efficient screen wash routine that fixes it - However, if you do watch one channel for many hours a day with an especially vivid screen logo and you don't want to use the screen wash routine then I'd say don't get an OLED'

.as you say you have avoided screen burn with a Plasma for 15 years - then you will not have any issue with an OLED - they are far less prone to screen burn than Plasma - but again it is a possibility - if a user is aware of a  potential issue and they ignore issue then the Customer is somewhat liable for the issue - however this is somewhat academic as we have yet to have an unresolved issue with OLED screen burn and we have sold 1000's of OLEDS locally in Ireland.

I'm happy to continue with the discussion but again we do not have any unresolved OLED screen burn issues 

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Salty much! I didn't quote you John, just trying to understand, obviously a touchy subject, I'll leave it there, I reckon I would chance it regardless. 
    No worries Moolers.

Moo,

it's not in any way a touchy subject - but the initial terms that the OP used are just not the way we do business ( I think you know that over many years..)- I do understand that everyone has to be cautious but we do always try to be fair in how we handle service issues - but there cannot be a carte blanche that says if my TV has an issue because I ignored advice and warnings that it should be repaired or replaced free of charge.

.. Again, we do not have a single issue ( that I can recall :confused:) where we had OLED screen burn that we could not resolve to our Customer's satisfaction - every service issue is unique but whilst the greater responsibility and duty to resolve will always lie with us as as retailers, Customers also have a duty to care for their equipment and use it within the manufacturers guidelines and each OLED manufacturer gives advice on using the TV with static images. 

..Really in our experience it is a potential issue - with the emphasis on potential ;)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭banie01

well take a look at this picture and say what the fault is??

The picture you have added is so low Res that it is useless for diagnosing any picture issue as zooming only creates pixelation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Snipped by Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Banie01,

Please take a moment to read the Charter for this forum, queries here are for Richersounds to answer, Boardies opinion/advice is not appropriate, this is not a discussion forum.

Ritz.

Swoofer,

thanks for the post - I'm not sure if the query is a general one or for us - but honestly I cant tell what the issue is - if you purchased the TV from us I'm happy to get an engineer out to you to have a look and identify the issue,

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Registered Users Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭swoofer

Thank you richersounds for great replies.  I have learnt quite a bit so will keep an eye on new developments and will check out QLED stuff but not going to change the TV I bought from you about 10 years ago any time soon. Its a Pioneer:D

Thank you richersounds for great replies.  I have learnt quite a bit so will keep an eye on new developments and will check out QLED stuff but not going to change the TV I bought from you about 10 years ago any time soon. Its a Pioneer:D
    No problem at all Swoofer.

It was a Pioneer that I used until I switched to OLED. The Pioneer is now resigned to the bedroom and it took 3 of us to carry it there :)

I play lots and lots of games for many many hours and have had no issue with image retention on my B6. The new generates have gotten even better at combating this.
    The way I view my OED is the same as I treated my plasma and I've had no issues.

Several of my friends use OLED and one has QLED all gamers and have no issues with their panels.

Do drop us a post or PM should anything take your interest in the future.

Swoofer,

thanks a mill and as ever keep us posted ( as you can tell Kenny & I are both fellow Pioneer Anoraks :) )

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.