Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Issue with Carbon monoxide - please read in full before replying

• 27-11-2018 2:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine has his elderly parents living in the northwest. The house adjoining theirs recently had a stove installed, and since then there have been several issues of real concern. It is not known who installed the stove, i.e. whether they were professional or not

When the neighbours light this stove, my friend's parents notice that

• The party wall downstairs is very warm to the touch, suggesting the stove may be installed right up against the wall.
    • There is a strong smell of smoke and "combustion" in their bedrooms
    After that, Carbon Monoxide detectors were placed in the upstairs room where the smoke and associated smells were noticed. These detectors were triggered, indicating the presence of Carbon Monoxide.

The neighbours were approached over this out of genuine concern but they became defensive, and strongly denied that the issue was anything to do with them or the stove.

My friends parents contacted both the council, Gardai and the fire brigade and they cannot assist here. It appears that there is no state agency that can investigate this or enforce any remedial works that may be required.

The neighbour concerned still continues to use this stove and the smoke / fumes are persisting. They are not using the room worst affected and are leaving windows open to ensure adequate ventilation. This is a totally unsatisfactory situation for a couple of their age to endure.

Would anyone have any advice on how to deal with this, and if there is some means of getting "official" assistance with this? Without the diligence of those who brought the Carbon Monoxide detectors, this could've been a far more serious and potentially fatal issue.

Comments

If you find a RGI/Oftec engineer who is happy to do a room safety CO test then this will document the precise level of CO in the room which would allow you to present this as fact enabling you to talk to a solicitor, TD or liveline but without building inspectors to call upon I’m not sure who you could talk to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057932689/1

Current thread. Exact same issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057932689/1

Current thread. Exact same issue

See page 9. OP got some satisfaction today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

This issue is resolved. The installer was a travelling tradesman. He didn't install the flue correctly. The affected neighbour sent a solicitors letter, after which a more reputable installer carried out the required remedial work.

Advertisement