Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights set for country roads (100 euro budget!)

Options
  • 27-11-2018 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Sorry if there are related threads already, a quick search showed a few but most were outdated, not taking into consideration the latest technologies!!
    Have recently taken up cycling as a new venture, usually only getting out on weekends since the dark evenings have arrived. Looking to buy a front and rear light set on a budget of around 100 euro. I will by cycling on unlit, dark country roads usually. Ideally I would want the lights to last at least 3 hours. What would I be looking for with this spec or can anyone recommend something that might suit? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

tadgho wrote: »
    Sorry if there are related threads already, a quick search showed a few but most were outdated, not taking into consideration the latest technologies!!
    Have recently taken up cycling as a new venture, usually only getting out on weekends since the dark evenings have arrived. Looking to buy a front and rear light set on a budget of around 100 euro. I will by cycling on unlit, dark country roads usually. Ideally I would want the lights to last at least 3 hours. What would I be looking for with this spec or can anyone recommend something that might suit? Thanks in advance!

Here is what I use and am pretty happy with the setup for cycling on country roads,

For the front I got the "Trelock LS 950" last year(€77) and couldn't fault it, the light is focused where its supposed to be so less likely to blind cars. The strength is adjustable and it gives a reading on how many hours are left(6+ on the highest setting). I also ride with a second front light(a cheaper one) incase of a problem with one.

For the back I have 2 reasonably good lights but honestly am not too worried about how bright they are, were I cycle at night there is zero other light most of the time so they don't need to be super to stand out, I worry more that they might be blinding drivers. I always use 2 incase one stops working and I don't notice.

I also stick on a small running hi-vis if cycling at night

Edit: I should mention that one of my rear lights is a garmin varia, so I get a bleep from garmin when a car is approaching from the rear, but I wouldn't see it as required at night as you see the headlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

I picked up a Moon Nebula for the rear recently and find it excellent. There are plenty of online reviews. Cost about 30 euro. Rechargeable.

I also picked up a couple from way out east. Good light but the cover on the usb port does not look very robust. For dry nights only. So I would stick with EU for reliability.

For the front have a look at the other thread currently on page one. There are some great front lights out now with lots of light and little glare.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sprite0

I have a Moon Meteor Storm Pro on the front. Great light and long run times on the mid settings which a plenty bright for rural roads. Has a handy remote also for changing the setting. Also has a brilliant daytime flash mode that will get you noticed.£71 on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Takca wrote: »
    Here is what I use and am pretty happy with the setup for cycling on country roads,

For the front I got the "Trelock LS 950" last year(€77) and couldn't fault it, the light is focused where its supposed to be so less likely to blind cars. The strength is adjustable and it gives a reading on how many hours are left(6+ on the highest setting). I also ride with a second front light(a cheaper one) incase of a problem with one.

For the back I have 2 reasonably good lights but honestly am not too worried about how bright they are, were I cycle at night there is zero other light most of the time so they don't need to be super to stand out, I worry more that they might be blinding drivers. I always use 2 incase one stops working and I don't notice.

I also stick on a small running hi-vis if cycling at night

Edit: I should mention that one of my rear lights is a garmin varia, so I get a bleep from garmin when a car is approaching from the rear, but I wouldn't see it as required at night as you see the headlights.

I would take issue with this. You need good rear lights.
    Suppose you're just cycling along and a car approaches you from the front at the same time as a car is approaching you from the rear. The car behind you may not see you unless you have a good bright rear light.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I would take issue with this. You need good rear lights.
    Suppose you're just cycling along and a car approaches you from the front at the same time as a car is approaching you from the rear. The car behind you may not see you unless you have a good bright rear light.

I wasn't thinking of that scenario, I still think the rear lights I have are bright enough, but your correct it does matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just whatever you do, don't put red on front or white on the back. See it all the time unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

My rear light has a white option and a flashing red and white, god only knows what that is for.

Bought these but I think I'd like a second set to be safe

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B076PYZ63M?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Wear one of these too at the moment in case one of my lights runs out of charge

http://www.halobelt.com/buy-led-safety-belt/halo-belt-led-safety-belt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Hub dynamos are the way to go for any distance or commuting.

Start here and here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I still want to get the dynamo hub set up, but got this in the meantime

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-accessories/lezyne-power-drive-1100i-loaded-front-light/11509389.html

I've mainly used it on commutes, but I was impressed when I was in work late and cut through an unlit path. I got it with the Power Strip rear light - they're doing the bundled for under €100

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I have a Trelock LS950 and cateye 400 on the front and a cycliq fly 6 on the back. I have a second non-brand rear light and another red light for my rucksack.
    This set up is over your 100 euro budget, but the front lights will last well over 4-5 hours, longer if used at lower settings although I'm not sure how long the cycliq lasts ( I usually charge it in work each evening after less than 2 hours use, but the beep indicator tells me there's 75% charge left)

• Advertisement
Advertisement