Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Filling issues, how common would this be?

• 27-11-2018 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I got a filling a month ago on a front tooth and I was in pain with it ever since. Got it checked over again by the same dentist and they said it was a bit 'high'. After visiting the dentist for the 2nd time, I got told if it still isn't fixed to come back and they'll start it from scratch.

Long story short: it wasn't fixed, pain continued etc. So - went back for the 3rd time to get the filling removed and put back in but now it's even worse looks wise and feels very rough. There's a gap between the filing and I had a feeling something was wrong but I really didn't want to say it at the time since it was the third time going back and I decided I need to see a new dentist.

Today, went to get a 2nd opinion and the dentist agreed it wasn't done correctly. Now I've to wait over a week before another dentist can start from scratch yet again.

Basically what I want to ask is: is this common? Going to the same dentist on 3 separate occasions and it's still not fixed. I'm worried things will only get worse too before I can see another dentist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Cubah

On another note I now have a visible crack at the front of my front tooth that I never had before getting this done :( the dentist that have a 2nd opinion said it isn't a crack on the tooth itself which is good but it's a mess.

I don't even know how to go about telling the original dentist as I never want to go back there again and this simple filling is now going to cost me a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Dianthus

Are you still having pain with the new (replacement) filling, or it it more that the aesthetics is wrong, or both?

Meet with/phone/email/write to your original dentist explaining where you're at.
    &/contact the DCRS (Dental Complaints Resolution Service) for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Cubah

Dianthus wrote: »
    Are you still having pain with the new (replacement) filling, or it it more that the aesthetics is wrong, or both?

Meet with/phone/email/write to your original dentist explaining where you're at.
    &/contact the DCRS (Dental Complaints Resolution Service) for advice.

It looks awful, feels awful (sharp / gap between the tooth and the filling) and I've got some pain since too (yesterday was the third time at the original dentist).

Thanks for that, I must contact them once I get it sorted by another dentist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭dubdev

I had a similar experience this time last year. My dentist recommended I get a filling replaced, I hadn't any issues with the filling but went ahead anyway. Was in desperate pain after for a month, got the filling replaced again, no better, eventually had to get a root canal on the tooth.
    Now that tooth is starting to act up again and it's looking like I may need to get an implant as the original RCT wasn't done completely right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,552 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Did the dentist say why they thought the filling should be replaced?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

I had a similar issue but with a back tooth. Had a childhood filling replaced on recommendation from dentist, was in awful pain afterwards and went back. She did it again and added a bit. It still didn't solve the pain. She mentioned root canal or extraction at that point, neither which were straight forward as the root went into my sinus cavity. Anyway she suggested going to gp to see if there was sign of infection in the sinus and gp gave me an antibiotic. Thankfully it worked and the pain went. Any chance there could be an infection anywhere around the tooth, into the gum??

Advertisement