Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currys windows 10 laptop €129euro

• 27-11-2018 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭

my lad is after buying a new Geo book 11.6" Laptop from Currys for €129euro - it wouldnt be bristering speed , it has a Celeron Dual core processor and only 2GB ram / 30GB storage (more than likely SSD or soldered on-board) but it has windows 10 64bit loaded and no bloatware which is good.

Sound isn't the best out of it and quite a short power lead length but the laptop has built in webcam, mic's , and bluetooth and wireless lan (most probably N at this price) no DVD drive (most people watch films online or off a USB stick these days anyway) - 2 USB sockets (one is USB 3.0) - micro SD slot

Its an all round decent little laptop/netbook for the money nice and thin and light and supposed to run 6 hours on battery I think. - If its only going to be used for social media , emails skype calling and the like and not for gaming / video editing or storing loads of photos/videos I would say it will be a grand little laptop especially for portability - if the punitive 30gb storage (14.2gb left after win 10 OS is installed) you could always use an external USB hard drive when the internal hard drive gets full or upload to a cloud account like Google Drive / one drive /dropbox etc

If you cannot get into store or they haven't got one in store you can order it from Currys online to be delivered to your door for 4.99eur extra

467037.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Sorry, but the combination of Currys and Bargain don't match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Sorry, but the combination of Currys and Bargain don't match.

do you know of anywhere else where you can get laptop at this price with the same specs for 129eur?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

2gb ram and 14gb hard drive doesn't sound like it's worth anything to me.

I'd probably get rid of windows and install a lightweight linux distro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Wait til the windows 10 updates hit and that space will be gobbled up in no time. I’ve seen a number of these cheap systems stop working due to this and you are left with no way out. You can’t even reformat and reinstall.

Pelvis wrote: »
    2gb ram and 14gb hard drive doesn't sound like it's worth anything to me.

I'd probably get rid of windows and install a lightweight linux distro.

they may have been better installing win 10 32bit - or whats that new one thats out Win 10 s is it?

think i might remove windows store apps and see how much space that will give back

he wont get on with Linux on it - although mint looks OK OS from what i have seen of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It would be a good laptop if we were still living in 1998. The spec and price is more comparative to a tablet than a proper laptop to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Negative_G

bazz26 wrote: »
    It would be a good laptop if we were still living in 1998.

Lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Frunchy

Absolute rubbish, you got ripped off for paying that much. Isn't worth €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

To be fair it's a good deal, yeah obviously it's ultra low end but a brand new laptop with full warranty for €129 from a retail store? Hard to complain about that.

Would be fine for casual few tabs browsing, typing something or watching a bit of Netflix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I would be hesitant even at this price. The spec is awful, reviews suggest a battery life of 3 hours which is terrible for a thin and light machine. I reckon most would be better suited with an android tablet over this. It's just asking for frustration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Wait til the windows 10 updates hit and that space will be gobbled up in no time. I’ve seen a number of these cheap systems stop working due to this and you are left with no way out. You can’t even reformat and reinstall.

You can but its tricky to do. Last update required a clean install on my 32gb netbook. Updates wouldn't install otherwise.

If you are buying one of these machines, minimum spec should be 4GB and 64GB of disk space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

To be fair it's a good deal, yeah obviously it's ultra low end but a brand new laptop with full warranty for €129 from a retail store? Hard to complain about that.

Would be fine for casual few tabs browsing, typing something or watching a bit of Netflix.

Or install CludReady version of ChromeOS. With this specs it will be running quite smooth (my chrome book have lesser specs). And still can watch netflix, use Facebook etc.
    Tom

A Netbook windows 10 can do all those things also.

It would be a good laptop if we were still living in 1998. The spec and price is more comparative to a tablet than a proper laptop to be honest.

haha - yeah but even if you had a 2GB / 32GB storage in 1998 it wouldnt have been an entry level laptop it would have been top range costing over a thousand euro (Punt!) - but it would have included a floppy disk drive

:)

You are way off.
    http://teakdoor.com/computer-news/75894-the-best-laptops-of-1998-a.html

Considering you can surface tablets and iPad Pros with near desktop performance, and you can get laptops and PC with celeron/atom processors describing things a tablets or proper laptops has no meaning.

A quad core atom is about the same as my Core2Duo from 10~12 years ago. Except it can decode FHD perhaps even 4K video without breaking a sweat where as the Core2Duo can't. Also uses a fraction of the power than thus have long batter life.

If it has a decent battery, which the OPs one doesn't.

beauf wrote: »
    You can but its tricky to do. Last update required a clean install on my 32gb netbook. Updates wouldn't install otherwise.

If you are buying one of these machines, minimum spec should be 4GB and 64GB of disk space.

yeah would be more realistic especially if it loaded with win 10 64bit (which it is)

ah feck that - i will disable windows update on it :D

Just means if there is a big update, create a bootable USB and do a clean install. Mine has about 16GB of 32GB free with the current version of Win10.
    Mine originally came with Win8. Some of them have a M2 slot, which solves this problem. Some don't.
    Quality of the screen is also an issue.

Advertisement