Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Press Release Question

Options
  • 27-11-2018 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭

Guys,

If a press release is sent out and used in a publication will you usually hear back that this is the case ?

Or is the norm to not hear back ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Sometimes you get a note saying just so you know this will be going in on x date but most of the time you don't and just have to keep an eye out for it. Sent our 3 recently 2 got coverage didn't hear anything on any of them but over the summer the same publication has got back with a date. Guess it depends how busy they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You should follow up with a brief call to the news editor to find out -

a) Have they received it?
    b) Are they going to run it?
    c) Is there anything else they’d like to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Thanks guys. Follow up is something I need to do.

I was assuming also that if nothing appears within a day or 2 then it won't be used. But I gather from above this isn't always the case.

Is it fair to say though that if in the vast majority of cases if it does not appear within a day or 2 it won't appear at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Normally yes. Obviously if there's some sort of seasonality to the subject matter they may hold it back but normally if it's a daily it'll go in quite quickly or not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Would like to bring this up again as the world of PRs is all new to me but from what I've seen so far there are few common trends. Some reporters like to ask further questions and then rewrite what is provided while others use the original and drop some paragraphs.

Is this a common experience ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Would like to bring this up again as the world of PRs is all new to me but from what I've seen so far there are few common trends. Some reporters like to ask further questions and then rewrite what is provided while others use the original and drop some paragraphs.

Yes. Depending on the publication topic and their interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

As a journalist who publishes presses releases almost daily, I can say that at times I will ask questions and rewrite the press release. I will also send an email saying thanks for the press release and I will also state when it will be published. If the press release is very interesting I will also ask if they would like to appear on my podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Skimpydoo, what area of journalism are you in!?

Harringtonp, it differs for every journalist. Some ask for a general overview and then rewrite it themselves, others do it by phone and some ask you to answer specific questions. The big thing is to look at the audience to which the journalist will be writing for, and provide information about your business that is of particular interest to that specific audience. e.g. her.ie likes to talk about the next WOW product and how many 5-star reviews it has. The Sunday Business Post wants to speak about what markets you export your product to and how much investment you have received.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

tacofries wrote: »
    Skimpydoo, what area of journalism are you in!?

Harringtonp, it differs for every journalist. Some ask for a general overview and then rewrite it themselves, others do it by phone and some ask you to answer specific questions. The big thing is to look at the audience to which the journalist will be writing for, and provide information about your business that is of particular interest to that specific audience. e.g. her.ie likes to talk about the next WOW product and how many 5-star reviews it has. The Sunday Business Post wants to speak about what markets you export your product to and how much investment you have received.
    I cover anything tech.

Advertisement