Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB device not recognised malfunctioned

Options
  • 27-11-2018 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

Hi all

Mouse added to lap top not recognised, its in pwo light on etc but this msg keeps coming up - USB device not recognised malfunctioned

I have used this mouse before - I tried the option of troubleshooting and system failed to fix it- its not a wireless mouse

Help greatly appreciated as I have a lot of word to do type up and prefer the mouse to using the touch mouse on the lap top which is working perfectly
    thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Is other USB devices working OK - possible bad connection/USB controller issues

Is there many other USB devices used same time - disconnect anything else, possible insufficient power(USB power is shared for multiple ports).

Try same mouse on different USB port - possible bad connection/possible insufficient power(USB power is shared for multiple ports).

Try different mouse, if avail - possible faulty device(mouse).

Try same mouse on different PC, if avail - possible faulty device(mouse).

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

many thanks got it sorted its the usb port thats banjaxed!! can only use one now back to the wireless mouse, would it be better to buy a new lap top or i have an offer of one my son non longer uses, would it be a big job to transfer the data?? just curious , thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

It might be bit of challenge if USB port(s) is dodgy.

If only couple GB of data, you can offload it to cloud storage(G Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox), then download on other device.
    You could pull disk out and and place it into enclosure - copy/paste to other device, or "share" directories and copy/paste data over LAN

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Some laptops have USB ports on a "daughter board" that connects vis a ribbon cable to the motherboard. Check ebay with your model. Or does it have a PCMCIA/Expresscard slot? USB adapters available for these.

Advertisement