Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Town Planning Consultancy Jobs. How many hours are there in the average days work?

• 27-11-2018 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44

Hey,
    Probably a strange question. I graduated 12 years ago from a Spatial Planning Course.
    I came out straight into the recession more or less. Im looking at coming back to Planning as a career but not sure if I had the right perception of the profession while studying it. It was an interest in urban design and conservation that drew me to the course.

I spoke to some private sector Planners. One worked for a v reputable Planning consultancy based in Dublin.He said he worked 12 hours "every" single day. Great money. No work life balance. Jobs a nightmare sometimes. Work generally involves representing developers in order to get permission for apartments and hotels. I heard that from others.

I've been interviewing for public sector planning jobs, i've panelled a few times but its a closed shop. But thats beside the point.

Does everyone work 10-12 hour days on average in Private Sector Planning consultancies.
    Are there any private sector Planners with any thoughts on this?

TBH, I keep hearing bad things.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

blindmelon wrote: »
    Hey,
    Probably a strange question. I graduated 12 years ago from a Spatial Planning Course.
    I came out straight into the recession more or less. Im looking at coming back to Planning as a career but not sure if I had the right perception of the profession while studying it.

I spoke to some private sector Planners. One worked for a v reputable Planning consultancy based in Dublin.He said he worked 12 hours "every" single day. Great money. No work life balance. Jobs a nightmare sometimes. I heard that from others.

I've been interviewing for public sector planning jobs, i've panelled a few times but its a closed shop. But thats beside the point.

Does everyone work 10-12 hour days on average in Private Sector Planning consultancies.
    Are there any private sector Planners with any thoughts on this?

TBH, I keep hearing bad things.

I’m not a planner but work with a lot of them. The sector is booming. Some weeks are very busy. Some not so. It balances out.

In saying that if that’s yours attitude going in I.e thinking it’s a 9-5 it’s not the sector for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 blindmelon

Thanks for the feedback. I've worked in Engineering and Architectural firms over my career. Now and again I have to work late or come in on a Saturday but I can still have a work life balance. Cheers for your thoughts

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

blindmelon wrote: »

Does everyone work 10-12 hour days on average.
    Welcome to the construction sector
    Average working week 48hours

Advertisement