Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Decent Whiskey increase in Price for Xmas

• 28-11-2018 8:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

I noticed in my local SuperValu all of the >€50 Whiskey has increased in Price over the last week. For example Dingle Batch 3 was €89 and is now €99 do they price increase knowing people like buying a Good bottle of whiskey for Xmas gifts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Generally no, and mid range stuff usually ends up on sale more frequently approaching Christmas

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yeah, that's an odd increase.
    Just store specific I'd say.

Even in the likes of O'Briens there is usually a Whiskey sale on for December on bottles up to 180 Quid or more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭beachhead

You said Supervalu.That's enough.Otherwise prices do not increase specifically for Christmas and if,they do,they will drop again.

Suprevalu.That's enough

Who is sugh? I said enough.This is my 3rd attempt at enough!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They could be bumping up the prices now so closer to christmas they can offer 'massive' discounts?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭FlicFlak

Dingle batch 3 was €89 now up to €99?? In my local Supervalu its always €69, was on offer at €65 at one stage but then went back to original.
    Ive never seen it any higher than that, even in O'Briens!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

FlicFlak wrote: »
    Dingle batch 3 was €89 now up to €99?? In my local Supervalu its always €69, was on offer at €65 at one stage but then went back to original.
    Ive never seen it any higher than that, even in O'Briens!!

Earlier in the year in the same SuperValu I paid 65 for batch 3 for the collection, but the last 2-3months the 2nd bottle they had was €89 and now jumped to 99

I know that 2 Super Valu local to me have it, one is priced at 68 with a few on the shelf, the other has it at 78 and has loads on the shelf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I know that 2 Super Valu local to me have it, one is priced at 68 with a few on the shelf, the other has it at 78 and has loads on the shelf!

location?

• Advertisement

eusap wrote: »
    location?

Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

eusap wrote: »
    I noticed in my local SuperValu all of the >€50 Whiskey has increased in Price over the last week. For example Dingle Batch 3 was €89 and is now €99 do they price increase knowing people like buying a Good bottle of whiskey for Xmas gifts?

I bought it for 68 and used money off so 62. Still at 68 in some. I did see it at 90 ish in Bantry a few weeks ago.

Supervalu and Obriens listed it at 68 ish when many other shops were asking 80. Cheapest at the moment (winesearcher) is 75 with others at 90. There is high demand for Dingle generally.

I would give credit to Supervalu overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,675 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

No, quite the opposite, by using the 10 off 40 or 10 off 50 vouchers widely available from Tesco, DS, etc., Xmas is the best time to buy whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Over the course of watching prices for the last year I noticed a lot of Scotch prices increased significantly and stayed up but in general this time of year prices decrease (although perhaps not to last year's lowest price).

Advertisement