Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric callers

• 28-11-2018 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just wondering what most of you are using, I had one that I bought about 10 years ago and paid over €200 for it.

I lost it in a field a couple of weeks ago :( so I'm now in the market for a new one. I have seen u callers for around €80 and have seen others for over €200.

Are they really worth the difference? The main purpose is for foxes and maybe magpie

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

pm. wrote: »
    Hi all

Just wondering what most of you are using, I had one that I bought about 10 years ago and paid over €200 for it.

I lost it in a field a couple of weeks ago :( so I'm now in the market for a new one. I have seen u callers for around €80 and have seen others for over €200.

Are they really worth the difference? The main purpose is for foxes and maybe magpie

Thanks

A lad I know uses an app on his phone and a rechargeable bluetooth speaker - said the whole lot cost him under €20 and works great. He has dozens of different calls on the app, and he just has to take to speaker out of his pocket and put it wherever he likes while he can hide out of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

Well why didn't I think of that. Something new every day :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭pm.

Gravelly wrote: »
    A lad I know uses an app on his phone and a rechargeable bluetooth speaker - said the whole lot cost him under €20 and works great. He has dozens of different calls on the app, and he just has to take to speaker out of his pocket and put it wherever he likes while he can hide out of sight.

Great idea ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Do you know the name of the app, the app store has a lot of callers just tried a few and they are pure sh1te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

Great idea ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Do you know the name of the app, the app store has a lot of callers just tried a few and they are pure sh1te

+1 on the name of the app

Great idea ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Dunno the name but I’ll text him and let you know.

• Advertisement

He uses an app called Primos, but saidnthe best fox caller he has is an actual recording of a squeaking rabbit he recorded on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

If you put a bit of effort into searching google, you will find some excellent calls. I came across one a few years ago, that was an actual recording of a squealing rabbit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,461 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Has anyone ever used the old-fashioned 'sharp blade of grass between the thumbs' squealing/screeching sound?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Has anyone ever used the old-fashioned 'sharp blade of grass between the thumbs' squealing/screeching sound?

Yea but it only attracted a kangaroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭skipking

i think it is illegal to use an electric caller to call and shoot foxes. ok to use them to call up and take a photo.

• Advertisement

I bought the app today, tbh not great for foxes. I will give the mouse squeeze a go, all going well I'll get a nice photo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Esel wrote: »

I still use a glass bottle and some polystyrene and also a short piece of the old cassette music tape sandwitched between 2 lolly pop sticks.(showing my age) Still works for me on foxes.

In my opinion, the best method is using the palm or back of your hand to call in fox's. Fair enough, some are better than others at it, but if you have the nack, it can be deadly. Also, no query over it being legal or not.

Ya that's the one we use. Works good and you don't need an extre pocket to put it in;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

I use an icotec gc500 it’s good quality sound and really good remote control range you can put your own calls on it.👌ðŸ»It’s downside is it’s big and can be awkward if you’re walking solo trying to carry it around.
    Another call I use and find excellent is the Nordic pro plain pain call it has brought in heaps of foxes for me it is cheap to at €15 one side is high pitch for close in calling and the other is low pitch for long distance.
    I also use another electronic caller called a mini colibri it’s brilliant it’s super loud and tiny to fit into your pocket also great for getting a magpie’s attention.

Just looked up the mini colibri thing. It's £200 feck that :-( I'll have to stick with the back of me hand

Benny mcc wrote: »
    Just looked up the mini colibri thing. It's £200 feck that :-( I'll have to stick with the back of me hand
    It’s a brilliant little call though and can be found a lot cheaper than £200.Its speaker is super loud

tikkamark wrote: »
    It’s a brilliant little call though and can be found a lot cheaper than £200.Its speaker is super loud

Looks great but tbh can't find it for much less than €200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭skipking

i use the icotec 500 as said before good caller but big, only use it if i am calling near the jeep,other wise i use a
    lockvogel caller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Damoeire33

I just use my phone with downloaded mp3 files & the ruger hunting app that came with a speaker that I no longer use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Bordglas

skipking wrote: »
    i think it is illegal to use an electric caller to call and shoot foxes. ok to use them to call up and take a photo.

Call him, take a photo and shoot him !!!

tikkamark wrote: »

Looks great but tbh can't find it for much less than €200
    I had 6 fantastic photos the last two weekends with the kitten distress and rat distress last Saturday and the hare distress the weekend before it’s worth every cent of whatever you pay for it trust me! :D

Advertisement