Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

download speed issue

Options
  • 28-11-2018 11:05am
    Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, thanks in advance.

i have an issue in work. i work in a very small office (3 person) where we've no dedicate IT person.. its usually left to myself.

Ive been noticing download speed issues over the last few weeks.... it being very fluctuating and irregular. My other colleague in the office uses the very same model PC as me and much the same software.... and he hasnt noticed any issue with download speeds. Both running wirelessly off the same router.

this morning i asked him to do a speed test , and hes getting 31 mb down and 19 up. i tested mine straight away and was getting 12 down and 5 up.
    five minutes later i tested again and was getting 5 down and 4 up, five minutes after that 4 down and 4 up. Yesterday evening i was getting 2 down and 4 up.

both machines have windows defender as standard and i have AVG free running on mine. His has mcaffe but subscription expired a month ago.

ive done AVG scans and malware bytes scans but nothing shows as infected.

could there be some setting on my PC thats affecting it in this manner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Str4ngeBr3w

You could try rebooting into safe mode with networking and retrying a speedtest. If results are much faster then something is definitely up. If not then at least you'll know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Sounds like a hardware issue (WiFi card / USB receiver). Since there are only 3 of you in the office, you'd be far better off running Ethernet cables directly from router to your machine instead. If the distance is an issue, you can use TP-Link Powerline adapters (€30 in Argos).

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5742734.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Disable AVG and try again.

Its intercepting every packet you send or receive to check them, this costs a lot of CPU cycles. And Defender is doing the same thing. Thats a lot of load for an office box thats probably on a low tier i3.

If you're using an enterprise AV solution you're far better off just letting Defender manage things. AV suites often make you less secure rather than more secure by the means they go to in order to function in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

advertsfox wrote: »
    Sounds like a hardware issue (WiFi card / USB receiver). Since there are only 3 of you in the office, you'd be far better off running Ethernet cables directly from router to your machine instead. If the distance is an issue, you can use TP-Link Powerline adapters (€30 in Argos).

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5742734.htm

Check with an wifi analyser app (m/s store) if signal strength is the same for both of you.

Advertisement