Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

withdrawing sterling in northern ireland

Options
  • 28-11-2018 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

I have moved close to Northern Ireland and I want to have sterling cash to use.  I am wondering what is the best way for me to withdraw sterling from my Irish BOI current account.

Is it best to use my debit or credit card?  An ATM or buy currency at the bank/currency exchange?

Majella

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi Majella,

Congratulations on your first post!

I can advise you that if you do have an ROI current account with bank of Ireland there will be a cross border handling fee.

If you use your card in a shop or any other Point of Sale you will be charged 2% of your transaction, capping at €11.43.

If you withdraw money from an ATM it's 3.5% of the transaction, capping at €11.43.

If we can help with anything else, give us a shout!

Thanks,

Lorna

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

Hi Majella,

Congratulations on your first post!

I can advise you that if you do have an ROI current account with bank of Ireland there will be a cross border handling fee.

If you use your card in a shop or any other Point of Sale you will be charged 2% of your transaction, capping at €11.43.

If you withdraw money from an ATM it's 3.5% of the transaction, capping at €11.43.

If we can help with anything else, give us a shout!

Thanks,

Lorna
    Is there a difference when using a credit card which has a credit balance or is that the same as using a debit card?

What are the charges on converting euro cash to sterling in a Bank of Ireland branch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Gooser14

majcos wrote:
    I have moved close to Northern Ireland and I want to have sterling cash to use. I am wondering what is the best way for me to withdraw sterling from my Irish BOI current account.

Set yourself up with a Revolut account and top it up with Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: John

majcos wrote: »
    Is there a difference when using a credit card which has a credit balance or is that the same as using a debit card?

What are the charges on converting euro cash to sterling in a Bank of Ireland branch?

Hi majcos,

Thanks for coming back to us.

We would not advise you to use a credit card with a positive balance in the same way as you would use a Debit card. Credit cards are not designed to be used like this. On purchases in Northern Ireland you would be charged 2.25% using your credit card. To withdraw cash from an ATM you would be charged 1.5% to a minimum of €2.54 using your credit card.

If you are converting Euro cash to Sterling in a Bank of Ireland Branch there will be a 1% charge for this transaction. With a minimum of €1.25 to a maximum of €6.35 charged.

Many Thanks

John

Advertisement