Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost to re-roof bungalow

Options
  • 28-11-2018 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi looking for rough cost to re-roof a 1970s bungalow in north wicklow.

Roof is currently cement tiles, look horrible and very worn.

Want to strip old roof tiles and felt and replace with something like thrutone slates and new breathable felt. Roof area is 150m2, with two chimneys.

any idea of cost or how long to do?

I realize planning may be an issue with change to slates but they seem to prefer slates for new builds so I don't think it'll be a problem.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Get 3 quotes

A good crew would do it in a week excluding scaffolding assuming its straight forward

Edit: fascia and soffit may be the following week, probably best to allow for some rotten end of rafters

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

Thanks Bryan, looking for a rough estimate before I waste anyones time getting quotes, if it's too expensive I wont go ahead with it.

Its a straightforward gable roof, standard rectangular bungalow.

Thanks Bryan, looking for a rough estimate before I waste anyones time getting quotes, if it's too expensive I wont go ahead with it.

Its a straightforward gable roof, standard rectangular bungalow.

Look There’ll be someone here who will have done it for a fiver but somewhere in the region of 30k assuming your rural materials will around half that

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Cannot advice on price but stay well away from Tegral thrustone if your looking to improve the look of your house. Tegral slates are poor quality and in my experience a nightmare to deal with. My home was done with thrustone in 2005 and if I’d my way I’d rip them all off tomorrow. Glorified cardboard with a coating of silicone paint...

Thanks for the replies, I think at 30k I'll have to wait for the next recession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would hesitate to suggest 30k, I had a large roof on a plain 70s semi done in the last 6 or 8 years, now granted the tiles were re-used (though we had to buy extra), but it was a quality, professional job, done in two phases and I would think cost us no more than 8k altogether. I think this price was probably less than it should have been, for various odd circumstances, but 10k would have been about right. There was a bit of timber work in addition to the laths. You really need to get quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

If all you're doing is fabric and slates then 10k+. If the entire roof needs to be replaced 25k+.

Thanks guys, ballpark of 10k is much more affordable. All the timbers are fine.

Come back and tell us what it actually cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Factor in a mAssive attic insulation replacement and ventilating the roof while the lid is off...

• Advertisement
Advertisement