Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zappi charge points

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

unkel wrote: »
    Yes, I'll check mine too. I have the figures handy for low / medium and high for the slow charger, but I'm not entirely sure for the EVSE

Don't forget that a granny charger is an EVSE, just a low power one, typically limited to 10A.

The standard allows min 6A, max 32A, so approx 1.3kW to 7.3kW, so that Ioniq granny charger shouldn't be sending less than 1.3kW to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

_dof_ wrote: »
    Don't forget that a granny charger is an EVSE, just a low power one, typically limited to 10A.

Ioniq senses which one it is.

If you connect a granny cable, low, medium and high is 760W, 1400W and 2000W. If you connect an EVSE (32A), low, medium and high is someting like 4kW, 5.6kW and 7.2kW (I'll have to check these again)

So I don't think you can actually charge at 1.3kW from a Zappi. Unless somehow Zappi makes the car think it's a granny cable. Could very well be in the Zappi electronics!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ioniq senses which one it is.

If you connect a granny cable, low, medium and high is 760W, 1400W and 2000W. If you connect an EVSE (32A), low, medium and high is someting like 4kW, 5.6kW and 7.2kW (I'll have to check these again)

So I don't think you can actually charge at 1.3kW from a Zappi. Unless somehow Zappi makes the car think it's a granny cable. Could very well be in the Zappi electronics!

I know it's a kona but he's suggesting here that might not be the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Usually the car decides what rate is delivered but I guess nothing stopping the Zappi in delivering less than what the car is asking for.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I know it's a kona but he's suggesting here that might not be the case?

Looks like Kona works exactly the same as Ioniq

It looks like Zappi emulates a granny charger if you set it to eco ++ and your PV production is low

I've tried with my own EVSE charger and what he establishes doesn't work for me. But I will try again, it would be a major plus if I could get my EVSE to work at low / medium / fast portable (granny) settings

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No additional clamp is required for the standard PV setup, the clamp on the live from the grid is all that is needed. The Zappi knows from that clamp that the surplus electricity is going out to the grid instead of coming in from the grid.

So, if you have the car plugged in and PV is generating a surplus, the Zappi will increase the current going to the car until it detects no more current being sent to the grid and it will constantly vary that depending on the surplus.

Note, the choice of eco or eco+ mode and some other settings will choose when that happens, but in any case, only the grid CT clamp is required.

You can add another clamp on the AC live from the solar PV inverter if you want to be able to display the current coming from the panels, but it's not necessary.

Also, if you have an AC coupled battery, you can add a clamp on the live going to that battery, to be able to display and control current to and from that battery but most PV setups will have a DC coupled batttery.

Thanks for this by the way _dof_, exactly what I wanted to hear. :)

KCross wrote: »
    Usually the car decides what rate is delivered but I guess nothing stopping the Zappi in delivering less than what the car is asking for.

The EVSE (including granny chargers) indicate to the car what the maximum current it can supply. It does this by setting the duty cycle of the pulse width of the pulses on the control pilot pin, and the minimum it should be able to indicate is 6A. The car can choose to draw less current than that if it wishes but it shouldn't draw more.

The Zappi continuously monitors the surplus and varies the width of the pulse to tell the car that it can increase or decrease the current it is drawing.

The Hyundai's menu system must be allowing the car to charge at 50% of the maximum that the EVSE can supply, so while the granny charger is advertising it can supply 10A (1.3kW), when you choose the lower menu selection in the car, it will only draw half of that.

The Hyundai's menu system must be allowing the car to charge at 50% of the maximum that the EVSE can supply, so while the granny charger is advertising it can supply 10A (1.3kW), when you choose the lower menu selection in the car, it will only draw half of that.

But that's it. You don't actually choose the lower menu selection in the car. There's two sections, one for portable charger (granny) and one for normal charger (EVSE)

I will play with this again though when I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Does the Zappi come bundled with 1 or 2 CT clamps ?

championc wrote: »
    Does the Zappi come bundled with 1 or 2 CT clamps ?

One

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Noticed ecarinfra now have these as an option. On it's own, bundled with the Hub or installation integrated with a solar system all listed separately.

Any Zappi owners here have the myenergi hub installed?

I have one on loan at the moment and I like it. Lots of control and the real time energy flow diagram is useful and the reporting looks alright too.

However, the first few days it was flaky enough when accessing it... showing "Data not current" for a while. I had to talk to support to get it working and then when they did get it working I got another message a day or so later saying the servers had crashed.

Its working perfectly now again for the last few days.

So, just wondering what are other peoples experiences with the hub.
    Is it reliable and would you recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Any Zappi owners here have the myenergi hub installed?

I have one on loan at the moment and I like it. Lots of control and the real time energy flow diagram is useful and the reporting looks alright too.

However, the first few days it was flaky enough when accessing it... showing "Data not current" for a while. I had to talk to support to get it working and then when they did get it working I got another message a day or so later saying the servers had crashed.

Its working perfectly now again for the last few days.

So, just wondering what are other peoples experiences with the hub.
    Is it reliable and would you recommend it?

I haven't one as yet but interested to hear of others experiences as well.
    How do you hook it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

If you have a Zappi - you should get the hub to be honest.

I find it useful to monitor the grid/car usage. The hub must be close to the Zappi - from what I have experienced.

It does not work for me if I have the hub on the opposite side of the house to the zappi!

I find the app a bit slow in fairness, but I have not updated the firmware yet. Others may be able to advise you what the latest version is like.

Nedved85 wrote: »
    I find the app a bit slow in fairness, but I have not updated the firmware yet. Others may be able to advise you what the latest version is like.

Updating firmware is why I have it on loan. The Zappi needed a firmware update and myenergi sent me the hub to do that (warranty issue) so I am on the latest firmware now.

Im considering just hanging onto it but if its giving people issues and isnt stable I'll not bother.
    eagerv wrote: »
    I haven't one as yet but interested to hear of others experiences as well.
    How do you hook it up?

Simple enough.

CT clamps on whatever devices you have so that it can sense the flow of energy.
    e.g. Solar, Zappi, diverter and mains.

It connects wirelessly to the Zappi/eddi/harvi (which is what the clamps are connected to) so it has all the info it needs then to do its thing.

And it obviously needs to connect to your house internet to send/receive the data to the myenergi servers which your phone app then pulls from.

Architecturally it would be better if the app just pulled the realtime data directly from the hub but it seems the app has to go to their servers for the data so if there is anything wrong on their end the app doesnt work.... which was what happened in my case.

Updating firmware is why I have it on loan. The Zappi needed a firmware update and myenergi sent me the hub to do that (warranty issue) so I am on the latest firmware now.

Im considering just hanging onto it but if its giving people issues and isnt stable I'll not bother.

Simple enough.

CT clamps on whatever devices you have so that it can sense the flow of energy.
    e.g. Solar, Zappi, diverter and mains.

It connects wirelessly to the Zappi/eddi/harvi (which is what the clamps are connected to) so it has all the info it needs then to do its thing.

And it obviously needs to connect to your house internet to send/receive the data to the myenergi servers which your phone app then pulls from.

Architecturally it would be better if the app just pulled the realtime data directly from the hub but it seems the app has to go to their servers for the data so if there is anything wrong on their end the app doesnt work.... which was what happened in my case.

Thank you for that, sounds a neat enough system. We have a Harvi in the ESB box at one side of the house which I assume talks to the Zappi on the other side of house near the distribution board. Probably best then to install the myenergi hub near the distribution box. Does it need power or does it take from the clamp?

eagerv wrote: »
    Thank you for that, sounds a neat enough system. We have a Harvi in the ESB box at one side of the house which I assume talks to the Zappi on the other side of house near the distribution board. Probably best then to install the myenergi hub near the distribution box. Does it need power or does it take from the clamp?

Needs power and internet and within wireless distance of the zappi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

I’ve had the hub for about a year now. Had it on loan for an update and decided to keep it. Very handy.

Had a look at it online (Which I should have done before asking questions:))

I think it's a worthwhile investment of £85.

Needs power and internet and within wireless distance of the zappi.

Wireless might be interpreted by many as Wifi wireless - it's not this type.

MyEnergi use 868mhz wireless, which is a very low power required protocol. It's far more reliable than wifi and has far better range too.

All of my solar kit is in my shed at the end of the back garden. So my CT clamps for both the Solar Inverter and the Storage Inverter are both connected to a Harvi, which talks wirelessly to the Zappi which is on the front corner of the house.

A word of warning though - my CT's in the shed were dropping in and out. It appears that it didn't like the long tail cables on the clamps. Once I trimmed off the slack, they have been fine.

I wouldn't depend on MyEnergi app for my data. The app is good for a quick view of Live data, but it's not accurate. I wish their figures would go to 2 decimal places.

I'm still waiting for the day when EV charging can be prioritized over my Battery Storage. People with Powerwalls will have the same problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

I have the hub. It works out about 130 euro including shipping from Irish sources.

I mainly got it to do firmware updates. I used it a couple of times to check if car was charging or had charged OK. I also used it to switch from timed night rate to charge asap when I needed car in evening. My commute is fixed so energy usage is same daily. In fact its not connected at the minute. It might improve over time and is needed for firmware updates which might add handy features

However at that time it didn't really have useful long term graphing and I haven't used it in months.

If you have one why bother return it, but I would not rush out and get one if I did not need one.

Also my car does not have an app, so I can't remotely turn off the car timer, if it did there would be less need to remotely control zappi.

When I got mine on loan and decided to keep it, myenergi charged around half the RRP.

Not sure if this is still the case.

When I got mine on loan and decided to keep it, myenergi charged around half the RRP.

Not sure if this is still the case.

I am supposed to return it via the enclosed DHL prepaid package after 3 weeks.

I might just keep it if they give me a discount on it. Its not like its hundreds anyway and the firmware updates to the Zappi are something I'd be interested in too and you need the hub for that.

I might just keep it if they give me a discount on it. Its not like its hundreds anyway and the firmware updates to the Zappi are something I'd be interested in too and you need the hub for that.

Definitely worth making contact and asking what would the cost be if you wished to hold onto it.

I got the loaner too, for updating the firmware, and the pack included the DHL return envelope too, but the letter in it explained that I could choose to keep the hub for a discount price. That's exactly what I did and I'm happy with it.

I do agree with other posters, the signal strength isn't great, it needs to be pretty close to the Zappi to keep connected. Also, the app doesn't have good support for graphing historical data, but I'm sure that will come.

If you didn't get a letter explaining you could keep the loaner hub, then maybe they've discontinued that scheme (since it was a handy way of getting a hub at nearly half price).

I got the loaner too, for updating the firmware, and the pack included the DHL return envelope too, but the letter in it explained that I could choose to keep the hub for a discount price. That's exactly what I did and I'm happy with it.

If you didn't get a letter explaining you could keep the loaner hub, then maybe they've discontinued that scheme (since it was a handy way of getting a hub at nearly half price).

I got the same letter but it didnt say how much.

What did you pay?

I do agree with other posters, the signal strength isn't great, it needs to be pretty close to the Zappi to keep connected.

Seems to be working OK for me from that perspective. No issue really with communicating to the Zappi and it is a good bit away from the Zappi, going through several walls including the external stone wall.

The issues I had seemed to be more the comms between the app and their servers.

It sounds like it was just a blip and its working OK for most people. Its working for me now over the last few days.

I got the same letter but it didnt say how much.

What did you pay?

Don't remember exactly, it was around 2 years ago, I'm thinking maybe 80 euro, but could be less. It was definitely a good discount over buying it directly anyway.
    Seems to be working OK for me from that perspective. No issue really with communicating to the Zappi and it is a good bit away from the Zappi, going through several walls including the external stone wall.

Mine's about 4 meters from the Zappi, through 2 block walls and sometimes it loses the connection. Mind you, one of the walls has dry lining on the inside with foil backed insulation panels, so maybe that cuts down the singal strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

Hi guys, I got my zappi installed today, and was trying to connect the hub this evening using the myenergi app.

For the life of me I can't find the 'registration code' on the charger, it is not on page 2/4 of the information menu. Can you guys tell me where you found it or if I need to do something to make it appear.

Thanks

NTC wrote: »
    Hi guys, I got my zappi installed today, and was trying to connect the hub this evening using the myenergi app.

For the life of me I can't find the 'registration code' on the charger, it is not on page 2/4 of the information menu. Can you guys tell me where you found it or if I need to do something to make it appear.

Thanks

The third last line on that screen says Registration Code, with the code of letters and numbers, hyphenated in the middle, on the second last line

• Advertisement

The issues I had seemed to be more the comms between the app and their servers.

The Zappi v3.00 beta should be ready for deployment any day now, so there may well have been server work going on in the background

Advertisement