Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zappi charge points

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

championc wrote: »
    Since you will already have the CT Clamps in place, once you install the Zappi, it will appear on the MyEnergi app. You can then drag the Zappi icon to 10 o'clock position, with the Eddi below it. The Zappi will then receive charge once excess exceeds 1.4kw

I don’t have the MyEnergi App.
    My Eddie is hardwired right next to the consumer unit of that makes any difference.

I know I don’t have the hub or Harvi as it wasn’t required at the time.
    The zappi I’m looking at comes with the Harvi now if that helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

So for any prioritization to work, you need 2 x CT Clamps - one connected to the AC output of your Inverter (to measure the Solar PV being generated) and one on the cable coming in from the Grid (to measure Import or Export). So I certainly expect you have the Grid CT Clamp right now. If you have one on the Inverter - then perfect.

You are not likely to need a Harvi. They are only to wirelessly bring a Grid or Inverter reading to a Zappi or Eddi if it's impossible or impractical to run a cable. However, what I'm not sure about is whether you need a hub or not. I'm not sure if the Zappi talks directly to the Eddi or whether the Zappitalks to the Eddi via the Hub. You can certainly set the priority of the Zappi over the Eddi on the Zappi control panel

So for any prioritization to work, you need 2 x CT Clamps - one connected to the AC output of your Inverter (to measure the Solar PV being generated) and one on the cable coming in from the Grid (to measure Import or Export). So I certainly expect you have the Grid CT Clamp right now. If you have one on the Inverter - then perfect.

You are not likely to need a Harvi. They are only to wirelessly bring a Grid or Inverter reading to a Zappi or Eddi if it's impossible or impractical to run a cable. However, what I'm not sure about is whether you need a hub or not. I'm not sure if the Zappi talks directly to the Eddi or whether the Zappitalks to the Eddi via the Hub. You can certainly set the priority of the Zappi over the Eddi on the Zappi control panel

Thanks. I’ll ask the solar guy tomorrow as they are MyEnergi suppliers here and they installed the eddi for me as part of the PV array.

I wouldn’t be able to get a cable from the charger to the fuse board at this stage without ripping apart the house.

Gumbo wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be able to get a cable from the charger to the fuse board at this stage without ripping apart the house.

So it depends on whether you already have 2 x CT's (or if the required two can be connected directly into the Eddi). If so, then the Zappi will learn everything from the Eddi, and the Zappi just needs it's electricity mains cable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Silly question. Assume Zappi is compatible with a Tesla. I am getting a Type 2 cable and Chademo with the car. Do I ask for tethered or untethered? Will a tethered Zappi v1 even work?
    Also, do you need to buy a new charger to claim the SEAI grant? Or will a second hand one do?

• Advertisement

garo wrote: »
    Silly question. Assume Zappi is compatible with a Tesla. I am getting a Type 2 cable and Chademo with the car. Do I ask for tethered or untethered? Will a tethered Zappi v1 even work?
    Also, do you need to buy a new charger to claim the SEAI grant? Or will a second hand one do?

1. Any charger works with any car. It’s the cable for that decides what car it’s limited to. Type 2 is what you need for Tesla. The chademo adapter with the car is for eCars fast chargers. You can get 47kw Charging with it but obviously by paying the ESB fees. You won’t use this at home.

2. Tethered or untethered is a personal requirement. For untethered, Some don’t like taking the cables out of the boot and connecting at home. Takes 30 seconds but still. For tethered means you just walk up and pick up the cable and attached. I’ve had both. I wouldn’t mind either but the tethered was a lot handier. And type 2 is here to stay so even if you move on from the Tesla it will
    Work with all EV’s into the future.

3. Zappi V1 will work providing the unit itself is in good order.

4. SEAI Grant can be got with second hand unit. I don’t it myself. Safe electric registered sparks is still Required though.

So it depends on whether you already have 2 x CT's (or if the required two can be connected directly into the Eddi). If so, then the Zappi will learn everything from the Eddi, and the Zappi just needs it's electricity mains cable

Is that something I can check by looking at the CU?

3. Zappi V1 will work providing the unit itself is in good order.

4. SEAI Grant can be got with second hand unit. I don’t it myself. Safe electric registered sparks is still Required though.

The Zappi v1 I am looking at is tethered with an 8ft Type2 lead. So the Type2 will work but I am wondering if the 8ft might be too short for where I want to put the charger.

I understand about the Sparks and the paperwork. Was just confirming there is no requirement for a new unit.
    Thanks.

PS: Just checked my fusebox and there isn't room for any more RCBOs. Is that a requirement to get a new ring off the fusebox? I believe v1 doesn't come with its own RCD?

The Zappi v1 I am looking at is tethered with an 8ft Type2 lead. So the Type2 will work but I am wondering if the 8ft might be too short for where I want to put the charger.

I understand about the Sparks and the paperwork. Was just confirming there is no requirement for a new unit.
    Thanks.

PS: Just checked my fusebox and there isn't room for any more RCBOs. Is that a requirement to get a new ring off the fusebox? I believe v1 doesn't come with its own RCD?

1. Yes I was looking at the same unit. It’s a bit pricey at €400 in my opinion, especially with the short cable. You need 5m at least.

2. Deffo not. No invoices or anything.

3. Yes it will need a 40a RCBO to be placed in the CU. But talk to your sparks. There may be another way.

:P I guessed as much when I read back just now and saw the unit you were looking at comes with a Harvi. I agree it is a bit pricey especially since I am on a new install so don't really need a Harvi unlike you who would rather not run another cable to the charger. The v1 was 600 new. The Harvi is ~100.

My CU is actually ancient and inside is a mess. The PV installers actually got the CT clamps wrong the first time and it was painful to fix it. No room to work. And it has a slightly dodgy trip switch. I might take the opportunity to get a new CU installed.

PS: I think he is wrong about the 8ft though. I researched and Zappi1 came with 5m and 8m options only. No 8ft option.

• Advertisement

Is that something I can check by looking at the CU?

Go into the Eddi Menu and look at the CT Config menu and the Linked Devices menu. You do not need to worry about locating the physical CT Clamps - just remove them for now from configuration

You could simply have an RCBO in it's own enclosure, separate from the existing panel. Also, new regulations now require an external AC Disconnect switch beside the outdoor unit.

While Zappi v2's are getting firmware updates, Zappi v1's are not following to the same extent. If you plan to use it with Solar PV excess, it might be best to bit the bullet and get a tethered v2. The cable is 5m. A cable will get dirty on the ground, so tethered is the way to go, rather than curling up a dirty cable and putting it in the boot

:P I guessed as much when I read back just now and saw the unit you were looking at comes with a Harvi. I agree it is a bit pricey especially since I am on a new install so don't really need a Harvi unlike you who would rather not run another cable to the charger. The v1 was 600 new. The Harvi is ~100.

My CU is actually ancient and inside is a mess. The PV installers actually got the CT clamps wrong the first time and it was painful to fix it. No room to work. And it has a slightly dodgy trip switch. I might take the opportunity to get a new CU installed.

PS: I think he is wrong about the 8ft though. I researched and Zappi1 came with 5m and 8m options only. No 8ft option.

I thought he may be wrong with the 8 foot cable but it does look kinda short in the pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Goldmark

I have zappi charger for last 1.5yrs and it has been working perfect with my Hyundai Kona. Yesterday evening when I plugged it in no handshake as if the charger not communicating with the car. I powered down the charger and then tried it again but no luck.

I plugged in the granny cable and handshake and charging straight away.

Go into the Eddi Menu and look at the CT Config menu and the Linked Devices menu. You do not need to worry about locating the physical CT Clamps - just remove them for now from configuration

Menu
    Linked Devices Info
    1-EDDI 0W

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Goldmark wrote: »
    I have zappi charger for last 1.5yrs and it has been working perfect with my Hyundai Kona. Yesterday evening when I plugged it in no handshake as if the charger not communicating with the car. I powered down the charger and then tried it again but no luck.

I plugged in the granny cable and handshake and charging straight away.

Maybe take a look at the pins in the connector to see if they have rusted, especially if you have been using the stupid rubber cover which isn't waterproof

Menu
    Linked Devices Info
    1-EDDI 0W

So you have no Harvi ? Ok so

In the CT Config menu, have you Generation or Grid against CT1 and / or CT2 ? If so, set them to None. Then you're good to go with linking all together. At that point, the Zappi will be visible on the Eddi's Linked Devices

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Goldmark

_dof_ wrote: »
    Maybe take a look at the pins in the connector to see if they have rusted, especially if you have been using the stupid rubber cover which isn't waterproof

They seem fine I have been using the plastic fitting screwed to the wall that the charger fits into and it works well to keep out water.

So you have no Harvi ? Ok so

In the CT Config menu, have you Generation or Grid against CT1 and / or CT2 ? If so, set them to None. Then you're good to go with linking all together. At that point, the Zappi will be visible on the Eddi's Linked Devices

No, no Harvi.
    I also have no CT Config menu in the eddi .
    It just goes menu, linked devices info......

I haven’t got the zappi yet. Still considering if it’s worth it as I get 7kw charging already from my current commando set up.

No, no Harvi.
    I also have no CT Config menu in the eddi .
    It just goes menu, linked devices info......

I haven’t got the zappi yet. Still considering if it’s worth it as I get 7kw charging already from my current commando set up.

Go into Settings > Advanced > 0 0 0 0 > CT Config

The Eddi only needed a Grid monitoring CT clamp, so you'll need to have a CT clamp reading the AC output from the Inverter. This can then be wired into EITHER the Eddi or the Zappi, whichever is the most convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

I don't think more than one CT clamp is strictly required unless you have an AC coupled battery or some 3rd party diverter. The system only needs to know if there is a surplus to be distributed to a Zappi or Eddi and it can determine that from the grid CT clamp.

A clamp on the inverter with a DC coupled battery can't determine if the current flow is due to PV or battery discharge anyway.

If you have an AC coupled battery then a clamp on the cable to that battery can be used to control draining of the battery etc, but the AC coupled batteries are quite rare I think.

• Advertisement

Go into Settings > Advanced > 0 0 0 0 > CT Config

The Eddi only needed a Grid monitoring CT clamp, so you'll need to have a CT clamp reading the AC output from the Inverter. This can then be wired into EITHER the Eddi or the Zappi, whichever is the most convenient.

CT Inputs
    CT1 : Enabled.
    CT 2 : Disabled

CT Inputs
    CT1 : Enabled.
    CT 2 : Disabled

On an up to date firmware, that Enabled would now be Grid.

You'll need a hub if you want to update the firmware on devices. I don't think you need a hub to link the Zappi and Eddi. I think you might get away without the need for a CT Clamp to read the Solar surplus since the Zappi could possibly work off the excess which it sees being exported to the grid,

So you might get away with just adding the Zappi.

Any thoughts here on a Zappi v1 used installed for 850 vs. a new Zappi v2 for 1300?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

That crowd myenergie are very helpful via phone tech support for.setting up clamps zappi and eddi config as I couldn't handle it myself from the manuals....got all confused. Rang them and 5 min later all sorted.

Any thoughts here on a Zappi v1 used installed for 850 vs. a new Zappi v2 for 1300?

Both have the grant available yeah? So €250 V €700 outlay?

Buy a v2 from midsummer.ie, do a self install and get RECI Registered sparks signoff. The important part of regulations now is that you MUST have an AC Disconnect beside the unit.

Both have the grant available yeah? So €250 V €700 outlay?

Indeed. When you put it that way....

Buy a v2 from midsummer.ie, do a self install and get RECI Registered sparks signoff. The important part of regulations now is that you MUST have an AC Disconnect beside the unit.

I pay 21% VAT off midsummer vs trade 13.5% VAT. Couldn't be bothered with a self-install to be honest. Two walls to drill through for a neat install and I would rather pay someone for the hassle. I did the sums and the 1300 quote leaves ~360 for the install with the isolator switch, RCBO and cabling. The best install-only quote I have had so far is 450 which I am using for the v1 used 850 above.

Indeed. When you put it that way....

I pay 21% VAT off midsummer vs trade 13.5% VAT. Couldn't be bothered with a self-install to be honest. Two walls to drill through for a neat install and I would rather pay someone for the hassle. I did the sums and the 1300 quote leaves ~360 for the install with the isolator switch, RCBO and cabling. The best install-only quote I have had so far is 450 which I am using for the v1 used 850 above.

Did you check what’s coming with the new car?
    If it has the UMC and blue commando plug you can get this done for less.

I just recently removed my charger and using the commando set up.

What’s UMC? It does command with the blue commando plug. I am looking to use my excess solar though. I know I will never make the money back yada yada.

• Advertisement

What’s UMC? It does command with the blue commando plug. I am looking to use my excess solar though. I know I will never make the money back yada yada.

This set up. I've attached a PDF.

I see no problem paying for the Zappi if you want to utilise the PV, its not always about the money, sometimes its about using the power generated instead of sending to grid.

What size PV system do you have?

Advertisement