Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zappi charge points

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Would I be OK to just stick a bit of masking tape around it for now? It's working away fine just a bit worried it would get damaged. Now that I've spotted it I'll make sure I make the first loop loose anymore.

Maybe some amalgamating tape rather than masking tape?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

graememk wrote: »
    Maybe some amalgamating tape rather than masking tape?

Will give that a look, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Where is the cheapest place to buy the Zappi charger now?

I have a local electrician who can install for me but just looking for the cheapest place to pick it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Looking for one too if someone can PM a place, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭davidod1

I purchased a Zappi Hub at a very fair price from https://midsummer.ie/.
    The hub happened to have had an assembly issue and I contacted them about it.
    They said that they would send out a replacement immediately and that they would have the faulty one collected.

On further inspection I realised that I could have sorted the issue out myself and contacted them to let them know, but they insisted on sending the replacement.

Very happy to recommend them both on price and service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

It's listed at 957 with VAT on midsummer. I got mine installed for 1200.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭davidod1

garo wrote: »
    It's listed at 957 with VAT on midsummer. I got mine installed for 1200.

I think it's worth a phone call. My hub came in at significantly less that listed price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Could a power cut have done something to my Zappi? I'm told there was a short power failure yesterday when I was away and since then this keeps happening.

mcGgYTT.jpg

When I reset it, it inevitably happens again. Sometimes seconds later, sometimes hours.

The unit is not in use when it happens and it's happened when there was no other heavy load being used in the house. It also wasn't in use when the power cut happened. I'm not knowledgeable on electrical stuff, so the voltage reading doesn't mean a lot to me, but the figure is usually somewhere around 200 in the error.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

JohnC. wrote: »
    Could a power cut have done something to my Zappi? I'm told there was a short power failure yesterday when I was away and since then this keeps happening.

mcGgYTT.jpg

When I reset it, it inevitably happens again. Sometimes seconds later, sometimes hours.

The unit is not in use when it happens and it's happened when there was no other heavy load being used in the house. It also wasn't in use when the power cut happened. I'm not knowledgeable on electrical stuff, so the voltage reading doesn't mean a lot to me, but the figure is usually somewhere around 200 in the error.

Most likely it's a wider grid issue, esp if there's no big loads on in your house (even a big load shouldn't pull the voltage that low)

It could mean that you might have to contact esb networks and they'll come out and put a monitor on.

Rural or urban? Is the transformer feeding many houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

graememk wrote: »
    Most likely it's a wider grid issue, esp if there's no big loads on in your house (even a big load shouldn't pull the voltage that low)

It could mean that you might have to contact esb networks and they'll come out and put a monitor on.

Rural or urban? Is the transformer feeding many houses?

It's rural and I have no idea where the transformer even is.

Now that you mention a grid issue, I have a vague memory of something like that happening years ago, before EVs, which was affecting other things in houses around, which ESB had to sort out. A call to ESB may be in order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

JohnC. wrote: »

Could be either. Can you check the voltage on another device. You’ll know then which company you need to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hi there,

Just wondering has anyone had any issues with their Zappi? I've mine 2 years and 6 months, and today I noticed the front of the unit looked a bit strange around the LCD screen. I thought it might have been a screen protector I hadn't taken of, and I very gently checked it out.

The plastic crumbled and I can now see the Zappi internals which seems very concerning to me!

Here's the close up...
    555349.jpg

Here's the front on view that first caught my attention, you can see around the screen where the plastic has lifted away which is what first caught my eye...
    555348.jpg

And just a full shot of the install, just a standard install on the front of a standard house...
    555347.jpg

I've pressed the buttons on the main unit about once a year at most. I have the cable holstered on the wall, so just lift the cable from there to the car and back.

I'm getting onto Zappi support now, but wanted to check if anyone here has seen similar or has any feedback. I wouldn't expect this to happen so let's see what myenergi say about it.

Thanks!
    Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just wondering has anyone had any issues with their Zappi? I've mine 2 years and 6 months, and today I noticed the front of the unit looked a bit strange around the LCD screen. I thought it might have been a screen protector I hadn't taken of, and I very gently checked it out.

The plastic crumbled and I can now see the Zappi internals which seems very concerning to me!

Here's the close up...
    555349.jpg

Here's the front on view that first caught my attention, you can see around the screen where the plastic has lifted away which is what first caught my eye...
    555348.jpg

And just a full shot of the install, just a standard install on the front of a standard house...
    555347.jpg

I've pressed the buttons on the main unit about one a year at most. I have the cable holstered on the wall, so just lift the cable from there to the car and back.

I'm getting onto Zappi support now, but wanted to check if anyone here has seen similar or has any feedback. I wouldn't expect this to happen so let's see what myenergi say about it.

Thanks!
    Al.

Looks messy, hopefully support will look after you. Ours burnt out inside after almost 1 year use only. Replacement took 8 weeks to arrive due to messy Brexit parcel post (Irish Customs).
    Looks like yours is on a south facing wall? As ours is. But still shouldn't decay that quickly..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

I assume that it is located in direct sunshine most of the day ?

I’ve seen pics similar to that and they replaced under warranty so you are definitely not alone.

Dig in and don’t be fobbed off.

MyEnergi are generally very good for support anyway in my experience.

eagerv wrote: »
    Looks like yours is on a south facing wall? As ours is. But still shouldn't decay that quickly..
    championc wrote: »
    I assume that it is located in direct sunshine most of the day ?

Thanks for the replies. It's on a west facing wall and is shade at least half the day .
    KCross wrote: »
    I’ve seen pics similar to that and they replaced under warranty so you are definitely not alone.

That's great to know, thanks!!

Support ticket opened with myenergi now.

Would the cost to re-fit a replacement unit be covered by Zappi? As their unit broke, I'd be incurring a cost because of that. Wishful thinking there I'd assume!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Would the cost to re-fit a replacement unit be covered by Zappi? As their unit broke, I'd be incurring a cost because of that. Wishful thinking there I'd assume!

What cost. Knock it off at the mains and then you can safely open it up and replace it.

championc wrote:
    What cost. Knock it off at the mains and then you can safely open it up and replace it.

Ah ok, sorry I thought only a certified electrician could do that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Ah ok, sorry I thought only a certified electrician could do that job.

When our replacement eventually arrived was fitted free by electrician, who was reimbursed by Myenergi. But was still under warranty..

Dig in and don’t be fobbed off.

MyEnergi are generally very good for support anyway in my experience.
    Thanks for the replies. It's on a west facing wall and is shade at least half the day .

That's great to know, thanks!!

Support ticket opened with myenergi now.

Here is the one I saw before... exact same as you and multiple people had the issue
    https://www.speakev.com/threads/zappi-version-1-screen-cover-plate-delaminating.153571/#post-2893758

It should be an easy DIY fix. I've had the front of mine open. Its not that difficult.... just a few screws. Should be an easy job for them to just pop a new cover in the post to you.

Just make sure you fit it right and get the seal seated correctly. Obviously trip the switch to cut power to it first. Its literally only the cover you are taking off, not the unit itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I had the same issue. The outer plastic had started to peel. I emailed them and they sent me out a replacement front part. I only got around to replacing it recently when it totally gave up. Replacement was easy, but there are about a dozen screws under the main cover.

I am looking for some kind of wooden box I can put around it as it will presumably only last another couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I wonder is there something you could coat the front cover with like epoxy to give it a bit more UV resistance and hold it together of it cracks?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Seems to be a common enough problem. Same happened to me, they sent me a replacement cover which I installed myself.
    Now that cover is over a year old and it's starting to crack so I'm going to make a box to cover the charger and keep it out of the sun, since it's on a south facing wall.

They really should be recalling them and replacing all of them with some new design which is UV stable, but I was happy that they replaced it immediately at the time.

Do ye use the buttons a lot?

I only use the app so no button pressing to wear it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Very rarely. I think it's just the plastic becomes brittle un the UV light and then just cracks

_dof_ wrote: »
    They really should be recalling them and replacing all of them with some new design which is UV stable, but I was happy that they replaced it immediately at the time.

Exaclty, if they replace it with the same cover, surely we'll all be in the same place in 2 years again :rolleyes:

Same, I'd say I've pressed the buttons about once a year at most!

stimpson wrote: »
    I am looking for some kind of wooden box I can put around it as it will presumably only last another couple of years.
    _dof_ wrote: »
    Exaclty, if they replace it with the same cover, surely we'll all be in the same place in 2 years again :rolleyes:

Could be a bad batch too.

You'd hope they'd learn after a few failures and make the replacements better.

I know @dof has said its happening on his replacement but they might have fixed it since.

At least its an easy fix and they are covering it under warranty. Must have a look at my own now!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭47akak

Manual says "The zappi device should be connected to a single-phase 230V or 240V nominal AC supply. The supply should be from a
    dedicated 32A or 40A circuit breaker."

When I'm talking to my installer again should I insist a 40A circuit breaker is used or does it matter in any way? The supply will provide 32A to the charger I'm just curious why there is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ACAandCTA

For zappi chargers,what of the 'additional' accessories would you suggest are necessary?

Presumably you should be able to manage the timed charging from your car app (I am getting an ID 3 in July, so thinking VW We Connect)?

Are the Harvi or Hub worthwhile/beneficial so as to make them a necessity?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

ACAandCTA wrote: »
    For zappi chargers,what of the 'additional' accessories would you suggest are necessary?

Presumably you should be able to manage the timed charging from your car app (I am getting an ID 3 in July, so thinking VW We Connect)?

Are the Harvi or Hub worthwhile/beneficial so as to make them a necessity?

Hub is required if you want to update the firmware at any stage.
    Harvi is required if you have not hard wired a CT clamp from Grid electricity usage but this only really matters if you have a PV setup.
    Hub is also required if you want to use their App.

If none of the above required then you could question your need for a Zappi

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement