Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zappi charge points

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Note: The EV charging standard does not support charging below 1.4kW.

While that’s technically true, many cars do allow charging below 1.4kW and the Zappi will allow it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Agreed, may as well just hook up the Granny Cable if going that route

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Duine_Eigin

Depending on the cost difference between your day and night rate, it sometimes makes sense to reduce your Min Green Level. I was on an SSE rate a few years ago and the night rate was half the cost of the day rate. It made sense to reduce my Min Green Level to 65% so I would pull a maximum of 500W from the grid during the day. That 500W during the day was the same price as 1kW at night rate but I was getting the extra 900W from solar effectively for free. It meant I could use more of the solar for charging the car rather than putting it in the Eddi. So if you charge your car at night anyway, it makes sense and will save you in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Does that only kick in if solar excess drops below 1.4kW ? You wouldn't want to have 2kW excess and be paying for importing any power.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Duine_Eigin

Yeah, as dof said, it only relates to export below 1.4kW. Once the export is above 1.4kW, only the export is given to the charger and nothing comes from the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Well got my Zappi installed on Wednesday and it went well as I had all the infrastructure in place, new build house so I pulled cables to an external wall and put in an isolator.

Only issue was when the dude was wrapping up and he was showing me how it works I noticed it was showing I was importing energy but in fact I was exporting (I have 6kWp PV) and I could see I was exporting about 1kW at the time. Anyway I think he was told (only second Zappi he put in) the arrows should be flowing towards the house...9 times out of 10 most installs would be this as they would not have PV. Got it sorted in the end. Now to actually get an EV !

One or two questions....

What's the story with connectivity??? Do I have to get this Harvi hub to connect to it...it doesnt seem to have Wi-Fi and the manual is saying to pair with the hub???

What's the story with the myenergi account, when I log in it wont let me save my basic location. I enter all the data but its not accepting it. either in on the mobile app or a web browser? this was the last few days so not a recent thing

Thanks

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The Harvi and Hub are 2 different products

Harvi is if you need a CT sensor a long distance from the Zappi and don't want to run a cable

The hub plugs into your router and gives you an internet connection for your Zappi. It'll let you use the app to monitor usage and also allows firmware updates

Beyond that, there isn't anything the hub does that you can't setup on the Zappi

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Cool Ill look into that, I'm running home assistant and I will be separately logging the EV circuit to record consumption etc. so I might not need another app. Once the settings are set as you want them on the Zappi I presume there should be minimal messing around with it.

Unfortunately the timed charging on it doesn't work, so you'll need to use the boost timer on the Zappi to charge overnight

On the plus side, VW have promised a fix in Software version 3.0 which should be coming later this year

Do you have a delivery date yet on yours?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

We have a Zappi 2. When I had the VW I used to plug in when home then turn off charging on app. Then before going to bed (Never go before 12) turned on again on app. Worked flawlessly, charging to 80% or higher if needed.

Funny thing though when I do the same with my Model 3 I only get 3.6kW charging after restarting on the app, so use the timer which works perfectly tbtg and get the full 7.2kW. Asked Tesla why and they say that there can sometimes be a problem with Zappi and Tesla if starting and stopping charge.

Its being built this week...checked with my salesman this morning and not in production yet but I presume they are working 7 day weeks. I am hoping for delivery mid to late June?? but might be July

Okay you'll get software 2.3 unfortunately which means the timed charging doesn't work

Tbh, since you have solar you'll probably want the Zappi to control the charging and not the car anyway

Actually I've noticed when I'm using the timed boost that if the charging drops down because of the grid limit, it often doesn't come back up even when the grid consumption has dropped

I wonder is it a VW thing or Zappi thing 🤔

Dunno, but I remember Zappi had problems with some cars, but I thought updates had sorted all that..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Random questions: I recently had a Zappi installed and there is some strange behaviour and wondered if there's something up with the configuration or the install.

Strange behaviour 1:

When charging the EV, it shows ~1.6-2kW draw from the grid on the Zappi, the car shows 7-8kW. The Zappi reports the rest coming from Solar or renewables - I definitely don't have Solar or a Battery. I've tried to check the config, but can't see any way to correct this so it correctly records and reports the source of the energy. Could this be related to the Harvi or CT wiring or config?

Strange behaviour 2:

With no EV attached to the Zappi, the unit is reporting that it is using about 0.3kW from the grid. Does it really take that much energy to keep the LCD screen running or is there something else at play here (e.g. a configuration setting that can be changed)?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I would think there is either a CT clamp in the wrong place or a ct clamp the wrong way around somewhere.

Thanks - I'll ask them to come out and take a look at it again. Is it actually using that much electricity (0.3kW) when it has nothing attached, or is it just reporting incorrectly?

What would be the expected power draw for it sitting 'idle'?

The idle draw is very very low. Your .3kW sounds like the background house usage which the Zappi will also show

With no EV attached to the Zappi, the unit is reporting that it is using about 0.3kW from the grid.

That value it shows on the main screen is the amount of energy your whole house is using, not the amount of energy the Zappi is using.

The Zappi reports the rest coming from Solar or renewables - I definitely don't have Solar or a Battery.

Its configured wrong. If you have no Solar or battery the top left of the screen should not be showing any Solar/sun icon. Your installer needs to sort that out and configure the settings correctly and double check the CT clamp he has installed.

Thanks again to everyone for your help on this one. Good to learn that the Zappi is also showing the draw from the whole house and that it's not just burning electricity to power the LCD 😀

I'll ring the installer again to have them check it and correct any installation issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Has anyone ever got myenergi to send out parts? Back home they had a short on the Zappi v1 lower PCB caused by some insect. I fixed it but I'd prefer to replace the PCB if it's not too expensive.

Customer support are insisting on me sending back the entire unit for inspection to see if it can be repaired or needs to be replaced. The whole point is I'm trying to avoid a repair and go straight to replacement, plus it's working now so they would unnecessarily be going without a means of charging the car at home (bar an extension lead) while it's being inspected. Unit is out of warranty and I'm asking to buy a replacement part so I'm not sure what the issue is.

I've got parts from them under warranty. No quibble, they just posted them without any returns/inspection required.

Two parts I got were the LCD screen and the front cover. Pictures of the issue for both and they sent the new parts.

Can't see why they wouldn't send you the PCB if you are willing to pay for it. Maybe offer to send the old PCB back once you have it replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

I had some issue on mine (V2), and they shipped a part out and arranged an installer to fit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Might depend on who you get on the other end of the support line so, were you both in warranty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Anyone update to the recent firmware release 3.171 ?

Has anyone got one of the new units with the built in Wi-Fi?

Advertisement