Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zappi charge points

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭KildareP

It's also possible one had the mini unit installed inside the meter box (which is against regs) while the other had it installed outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

Yeah OK, I guess I'll just have to get one of the installers out soon and see what they offer in terms of cabling setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I wouldn't be running it around skirting boards, its chunky enough cable no just a little phone cable or that, in my case it went from fuseboard into the space between ceiling and floor and was routed through the joists to the other wall. It will depend a bit on the house whats the best route for it, you could maybe go through attic.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

How does this handle a battery thrown into the equation? With the Zappi on Eco+, 100% green slider selected, and my battery is at 100%.

Will eco+ start draining my battery to charge the car? Or only start if there's 1.4kW of solar being generated - if yes to this, will it only use solar to charge the car or will it take it from the battery too?

• Advertisement

It's a bit hacky. When the battery has fully charged, the excess will start to export. When the Zappi sees export over 1.4kW, the Zappi kicks in and starts charging.

If you have an AC coupled battery (which I believe are not legal here?) then the Zappi can monitor the input/output of that directly with a clamp. With a DC coupled battery it's not so simple. You need to set an export margin on the Zappi and that causes the DC battery to have priority over the Zappi or Eddi. I've no idea how it works, and am very curious.

I have had issues with the battery draining into the car before, but it seemed that having my green slider set at less than 100 was the culprit. Seems to have been fine since I changed it.

I'm curious if it's possible to use home automation to stop charging the car if the battery is draining. An open API for this stuff would be the obvious answer, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

edit: great example just now. It was lashing the solar into the car all afternoon and it just started raining. About a minute afterwards the Zappi stopped charging and the small excess that was left was diverted to the Eddi:

Post edited by stimpson on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

My educated guess is that they were installed at different points in time where the regs had been clarified and you were no longer allowed install a consumer unit inside the meter cabinet and so it now has to be mounted outside the meter cabinet.

Or maybe one of the electricians just didn't care and went for the easy install.

If right is right, when you get someone to look at yours they should be either running a cable back to your consumer unit inside the house or else mounting a new consumer unit on the outside wall which then powers the Zappi.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

Thanks all for the info, will book someone in to take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭denismc

My consumer unit was close enough to an external wall and we only had to run cable a couple of metres, we drilled through the external wall to make the run as short as possible. Hopefully your installer will have done a few installs and will give the best advice .

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Nice one! Until I get my battery I think I'll just set my eco+ green leaf to about 60-70%. I think that way only 30-40% of the required 1.4kW will come from the grid, and with my day rate twice my night rate is cheaper per kWh if I stump up that day rate cost for less night rate usage. Tiny savings, but I get nothing for exporting so why bother. Obviously anything over 1.4kW is more winnings for me.

Does the zappi kick in when there's 1.4 surplus, right? Not just 1.4kW from the panels?

• Advertisement

Yeah, it’s surplus. It does it based on when it sees power going back to the grid, which means the battery is full.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭society4

Anyone recommend a zappi installer south Dublin ? thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Looking for any advice or guidance please.

Got the chance of a Zappi. It had the factory fault of loose live wire which caused some burn out.

Is there any way to fix this or replace the board etc?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Would you try MyEnergi themselves for a warranty replacement, comes with 6 years statutory protection and they have official repair company on the ground now in Ireland for complex repairs…

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

The original owner had it replaced with a new one under warranty.

The installer left the old unit with him which he kindly gave to me to see if it can be fixed and I can keep it.

If all else fails I’ll approach MyEnergi and see if they will cost a replacement as it may be still worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Likely just replace the two relays there (assuming they are relays). The original components will be fully marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Can’t remember where I posted about the libbi before, but might be of interest to those with a zappi

price in the myenergi website says “from £4,595 plus VAT excluding installation”

5kWh inverter built in, meh! too small

More importantly, too expensive.

It would literally never pay for itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

Everyone happy with their Zappi V2.1 after long term use? I was ringing around for installers yesterday and one tried to put me off them for a Pulsar Plus. He said he was finding issues with Zappi's getting faults, especially around the end of warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭joe1303l

If it were cheaper, a few of them linked together would be great to enable people to use solar to charge their EV’s at night and in winter to buy in cheap night rate electricity and use at peak hours. If electricity prices continue to rise and smart meter tariffs start to bite, they might make more sense. I presume it would have a limited lifespan too.

V2.1 only out a few months but very similar to V2 apart from being wireless hub. I had a board part and cable replaced under warranty in 2 years of ownership

It would need to be ALOT cheaper. The theory all makes perfect sense but when you work out the numbers it simply doesn't add up. Batteries are still too expensive.

Solar PV is great. Self-consume as much as you can, divert as much as you can to your car or hot water and just draw the Feed-In-Tariff for the rest.

I presume it would have a limited lifespan too.

Thats the kicker. It will need replacing so it realistically needs to pay for itself in a few short years. If it takes 10,15,20 years to pay for itself you have wasted your time/money.

Yes the cable was mentioned as an issue alright. All the research I did was on the Zappi and I have to admit I never saw any issues being reported hardware wise. Not sure whether to stick with it or change to a Pulsar 2. Any insight would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Like yourself I had it whittled down to the Zappi or wallbox, the Zappi while larger looks neater as the cable winds around the unit, couple of houses near me with the wallbox and it always looks messy, I do plan on getting solar hopefully in 2023 and the Zappi seems like a better fit for that from what I’ve been told but I’m no expert. I got the black Zappi 2.1 from Ecoplex in Dublin and they were very good to deal with.

Exactly my train of thought too. The installer offered to install the hook and connector holder to keep the cable looking tidier. I don't have solar PV yet, but it is in my long term plan. Installer said the Wallbox will manage just fine with that too though.

Wall box does the PV exactly the same as zappi.

I wouldn’t pay the premium zappi charge unless I wanted to stay in the myenergi ecosystem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

€150 is money well spent to keep the minister for the interior happy 😆

• Advertisement

If it’s only €150 more, not so bad. When we were looking for a family member it was €400 more in Dublin. €1600 for Zappi or €1200 for wall box.

Advertisement