Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would like to Appeal 2 week Radio Ban

Options
  • 28-11-2018 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭

Would like to start this. Have already engaged with the Mod.

She suggested I appeal, providing the link for same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just wondering if there's any update on this?

Hi folks,

It's been a week already and still no reply to this....any chance of an update as to next steps please?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Apologies for the delay - I've just flagged this for the Entertainment CMods

Beasty wrote: »
    Apologies for the delay - I've just flagged this for the Entertainment CMods

Hi,

Thanks for this. I had left a note on the other thread you commented on obviously simultaneously to you typing the above.

I'm 8 days into this ban that I've been trying to appeal since Day 1. It's somewhat frustrating that these take so long to review, as should I win said appeal, I've already lost significant time due to a failure to process the appeal in a more timely manner. I understand modding is voluntary, but appeals are something I believe should be fast-tracked and prioritised in the interests of fairness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hi Butters,

I'll try and review this for you by the end of the day.

If you can post or forward me any relevant pms please, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hi Butters,

Having received the pms from the mod, I've reviewed this and I am upholding the ban.

You were given a 1 week ban from Radio last month for your poor record in the forum and ignoring mod warnings to stop bickering etc with other users in the Ciara Kelly thread. This 2 week ban is for the same issue in the very same thread. As a result, everything I said in your previous DRP pretty much applies to this one as well. Looking through the thread in question it seems like you've resumed where you left off before the previous ban. A lot of back and forth bickering, mostly with the same user.

As I said before, I think the mods have been more than fair to you. They've given you multiple warnings about this behaviour in the past. They have exchanged dozens and dozens of pms with you and continue to do so despite the fact that you don't seem to be taking onboard what they are saying. The've also told you that from now on sanctions will increase, which means if you continue on this path your next ban will be 4 weeks long. You've complained about the modding of the forum, yet by taking up so much of the mods time you are negatively impacting that modding. I really don't know what else to say to you except you should know better by now.

As discussed before, what action has or hasn't been taken against other users is not relevant to this DRP.

Apologies for the delay with this. I am conscious that you've been left waiting a few times now and I did get to this as quickly as I could. Let me know if you want an Admin to review this.

Hi Butters,

Having received the pms from the mod, I've reviewed this and I am upholding the ban.

You were given a 1 week ban from Radio last month for your poor record in the forum and ignoring mod warnings to stop bickering etc with other users in the Ciara Kelly thread. This 2 week ban is for the same issue in the very same thread. As a result, everything I said in your previous DRP pretty much applies to this one as well. Looking through the thread in question it seems like you've resumed where you left off before the previous ban. A lot of back and forth bickering, mostly with the same user.

As I said before, I think the mods have been more than fair to you. They've given you multiple warnings about this behaviour in the past. They have exchanged dozens and dozens of pms with you and continue to do so despite the fact that you don't seem to be taking onboard what they are saying. The've also told you that from now on sanctions will increase, which means if you continue on this path your next ban will be 4 weeks long. You've complained about the modding of the forum, yet by taking up so much of the mods time you are negatively impacting that modding. I really don't know what else to say to you except you should know better by now.

As discussed before, what action has or hasn't been taken against other users is not relevant to this DRP.

Apologies for the delay with this. I am conscious that you've been left waiting a few times now and I did get to this as quickly as I could. Let me know if you want an Admin to review this.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The reason i referenced other posters was not to cry "woe is me"; but to show what I believe to be different/preferential treatment given to other posters on the Ciara Kelly Thread. I could not do this without giving examples.

I have to disagree however with your comment in bold, as well as finding it unfair. I have repeatedly asked for clarification on one point - namely asking the mods why a poster can deliberately edit a quoted post to make it look like the original quoted poster had said something they didn't and how this is acceptable - and not once has any mod replied to this. On a very basic level that is just rude. It can't be an oversight as it has been asked and ignored so often and I don't think it's that difficult to explain either way. If it's allowed, then just say so and let the games begin so to speak; if it's not allowed, then surely you'd agree stopping this behaviour would de-escalate a lot of the arguments that have arisen?

Whilst I have PM'ed the mods a lot it has mostly been for clarification of the above. Just 1 reply addressing that issue would have eliminated the resultant need for follow-ups - so I can't see how I am 100% responsible for that and the mods 0%? Communication is a two way process.

To say I'm taking up their time when they mostly ignore the messages is a little rich tbh. It's almost suggesting that they can't mod the thread because they're busy replying to me - which they're not. I also had the ridiculous situation on that forum where I did as instructed by a mod and rather than engage with a certain poster reported the comment. Nothing was done so I enquired why over 2 weeks later. I was told that yes, the reported post should have resulted in a ban but as 2 weeks had passed since it was reported without a mod reviewing it there was nothing the mod could do - a response that was frankly ridiculous and can only frustrate. I didn't hound any mods during this time.

This ban came with no warning. During my previous ban the thread escalated into a mess far worse than any that I have allegedly started and multiple final warnings (ironic it itself) were given without action. I didn't get personal with the other poster, she did, and admitted as much. I reported said posts and again, no action was taken. When a mod eventually waded in, both of us were banned, but yet I get the longer ban - and all my reported posts were ignored.

On the delays, it's also frustrating. It took several weeks after my last 7 day ban ended to close the case. My 2 week ban is almost up and I've waited over a week of that for the process to start despite some prompting. I appreciate you're volunteers, but it doesn't increase my faith in the system TBH.

And yes, I'd like an Admin to look at this please.

Thanks.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Hi Butters, I'll take a look at this but it will be some time tomorrow before I can get to it in any meaningful way.

Hi Butters, I'll take a look at this but it will be some time tomorrow before I can get to it in any meaningful way.

Thank you, I do appreciate that.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I have reviewed the matter.

It's straight-forward enough - you were warned to disengage from your personal toing-and-froing on a number of occasions and even after having been banned for a week for it, you came back and engaged in exactly the same personal toing-and-froing in the same thread that gave rise to the prior one-week ban.

In fact, the exact same issue has been going on for in excess of 6 months at this stage and during that period you have picked up 5 warnings and two bans over it.

That is the extent of the analysis required and the balance of your points are irrelevant to the decision-making process here.

The moderator correctly gave a further ban and correctly escalated it.

As above, your record in the Radio forum over the past 6 plus months does not make for good reading. You are benefiting from an exceptional level of leniency and patience from the moderators in that your 5 cards were yellow "warning" cards rather than escalating on the usual basis to yellow --> red --> short ban --> medium ban --> long ban --> permanent ban. If you were treated in line with that practice, you would already be at permanent ban.

As a result of the foregoing and the fact that there doesn't appear to be any acknowledgment on your part that you are causing this issue yourself, I am going to uphold the ban in the first instance and put your account on probation for 3 months in the following terms: if you receive any further moderator actions for personal bickering within the next 3 months anywhere on the site, you will receive a one-month site ban.

Cheers,
    H.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement