Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NYC Half Marathon

Options
  • 28-11-2018 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Hope this is the right place to put this thread. I've signed up to run the NYC half marathon next March, having little to no running experience in the past, so just wondering what would be the best plan to follow for the next 3.5 months? I was looking at the beginning guide on runireland.com and wondering is it ok to start on say week 5, and then make adjustments if the long days are hard, given that I have about 15 weeks.

I can currently run about 4/5 miles at a pace of 10:30 per mile - so not very fast but I'm more aiming to finishing the race as oppose to set any fast times since the most I've ever done before was a 5k park run.

In terms of the course - I heard that Central Park can be hilly, but in terms of the rest of the route would it mainly be flat or are they many areas that have an incline?

Much appreciate any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

The plan looks reasonable. Make sure weekly mileage doesn't increase by more than 10% week on week (and from what you're currently doing).

I think for HM the Hal Higdon plans are great:
    https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/half-marathon-training/novice-1-half-marathon/

I would start at week 1 of whatever plan you decide. Plenty of time and don't underestimate the risk of injury - I never got injured at 5k/10k distances but did training for first HM (thought I knew more than Hal Higdon!)

Key is to run the easy runs easy, and run slow on the weekend long runs. Have a read of this year's DCM mentored novice thread - it was for marathon distance but a lot of the training advice is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Done the NYC marathon last year, thought the stretch before coming into the park is a tough drag. That's of course if it's a similar route. Central Park rolls a bit so not as bad I thought. Came out in the ballot for the NYC HM too so will start knuckling down in the new year. Really looking forward to it. Never been to NYC for St Patrick's day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

The half is a different course to the full. I have not done this route so can only speak about the route from Times Sq onwards.... which is a slight drag up to Central Park. It's anti clockwise in the park so while rolling the main damage is Cat Hill around mile 10-11. I'd also guess that Manhattan Btidge is also a decent climb. You are spared the worst of the park in the NW corner. It's not the fastest course and certainly tougher than the old course.

PS. Don't rely on your GPS watch around Time SQ and up 7th Ave. the building mess with readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I see that they have changed the route slightly from last year, less hilly at the end.

https://www.nyrr.org/sites/default/files/media-center/UANYCH19_MapCourse_012319%20%281%29.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Only around 2 miles in the park as opposed to 4 last year. Fast first half and a bit of digging in towards the end but looks a better course this year. Training well but I'm not sure of what way to run it. Run to enjoy it or run for a time. Be a great experience so I'm leaning towards taking a few pics and just enjoy it

• Advertisement
Advertisement