Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green waste removal/ disposal cork

Options
  • 28-11-2018 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hey.

I've read a few old threads here and none seem to help.

I'm planning on clearing a decent size garden. It's extremely overgrown. For exams the neighbours tell me there's a swing in the garden. I havent seen it due to the growth. 15 years of neglect they reckon. There's a green house to apparently.

Point is how will I dispose of all of this?

Trees,brambles, and vines of some sort. Lots of vines.

A mulcher and a skip would work but that's big bucks. For example I cleared just the side passage and that filled a one tonne skip bag!

Do the council do a collection for a fee or are there companies that collect green waste?

Many thanks for any advice or help you can give me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

pegdrums wrote: »
    Hey.

I've read a few old threads here and none seem to help.

I'm planning on clearing a decent size garden. It's extremely overgrown. For exams the neighbours tell me there's a swing in the garden. I havent seen it due to the growth. 15 years of neglect they reckon. There's a green house to apparently.

Point is how will I dispose of all of this?

Trees,brambles, and vines of some sort. Lots of vines.

A mulcher and a skip would work but that's big bucks. For example I cleared just the side passage and that filled a one tonne skip bag!

Do the council do a collection for a fee or are there companies that collect green waste?

Many thanks for any advice or help you can give me.

Buy a goat and close the gate.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What size is "decent"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'd be amazed at how little space all the vegetation would take up once properly mulched. and you can hire a shredder; but the issue could be access, if it's a back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agree about the mulching, but if you just cut back the top growth and stack it all in a heap it will quickly reduce by at least 50% in volume.

I try and keep all organic material on site as a matter of policy. The only exception is Cordyline leaves which are unshreddable and uncompostable so get taken to a green waste centre once a year.

If you're talking proper large quantities of overgrowth, e.g. over 100sqm, you're best off getting in professionals with heavy machinery and a big towed shredder. Vines and brambles are hellish to deal with using hand tools.

An even better idea is to get a quote for full landscaping to grass, since that's also difficult to do DIY.

Get a fixed price quote and let them get on with it.

But maybe hold fire chopping any trees down until you can see....the wood for the trees.

I adopted a piecemeal approach to a similar clearance exercise and it ended up consuming vast quantities of time, money and blood. I still have the scars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pegdrums

Buy a goat and close the gate.

I might rent one.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Lumen wrote: »
    What size is "decent"?

Roughly 50 sq metres

you'd be amazed at how little space all the vegetation would take up once properly mulched. and you can hire a shredder; but the issue could be access, if it's a back garden.

It is indeed a back garden. I was thinkibg if mulching and then disposing of it in stages but that could take an age.

Any good rental places in cork for a mulcher?
    Any idea of a price?

Roughly 50 sq metres
    Ah right, That's small enough to clear DIY if you have the patience, but it depends what you're dealing with. It took me a whole weekend earlier this year to clear about 10sqm of particularly viney hedge.

If you're using hand tools I'd suggest slash hook, secateurs, a quality pruning saw and a mattock.

When you have it piled up, rent a diesel chipper, mulch it all and pile it up in the darkest corner for use later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you mean 50 metres square, or 50 square metres?
    if it's 50 square metres, the overgrowth must be extremely impressive to have lost a swing set and greenhouse in it!

• Advertisement

do you mean 50 metres square, or 50 square metres?
    if it's 50 square metres, the overgrowth must be extremely impressive to have lost a swing set and greenhouse in it!

I'll have to claim ignorance as to the difference there sorry.

I'll have to claim ignorance as to the difference there sorry.

50 square metres would by 10mx5m, 7mx7m, etc.

50 metres square is 50m x 50m.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Ah right, That's small enough to clear DIY if you have the patience, but it depends what you're dealing with. It took me a whole weekend earlier this year to clear about 10sqm of particularly viney hedge.

If you're using hand tools I'd suggest slash hook, secateurs, a quality pruning saw and a mattock.

When you have it piled up, rent a diesel chipper, mulch it all and pile it up in the darkest corner for use later.

I'd include a heavy duty secateurs called a loppers for cutting larger stems, a good clippers for cutting away lighter growth, a garden fork for moving and digging and a very solid pair of boots in the list of tools to use. If the overgrowth is cut up and stacked away from the house it can rot down over time itself if you have the patience.

50 square metres would by 10mx5m, 7mx7m, etc.

50 metres square is 50m x 50m.

Cheers. Yea it's about 50 square metres.

I have tools to do the work with it's purely disposal.

I'm reluctant to.leave it in a pile and let it rot. Ideally I'd like to have it gone. Just not in a 300 euro skip is all.

I'll get a photo up tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 6 greenmandave

depending on where you are in Cork
    Bandon, Bantry, Rafeen, Kinsale road, Carrigtwohill All take green waste,

maybe borrow a trailer !!

depending on where you are in Cork
    Bandon, Bantry, Rafeen, Kinsale road, Carrigtwohill All take green waste,

maybe borrow a trailer !!

I would but no towbar on the Micra.

Thanks again to all for the advice. Looks like were gonna nust go with a skip. We've a few odds and ends need chucking too. Healys do a good size one for 230 quid. I'm just worried the whole thing will drag on forever otherwise.

If it's of interest to anyone the garden is cleared.
    Main tools were macchettis, rakes and shears and a few willing mates to help.

7 cubic yard skip took everything plus the skip bag full of cuttings from the side passage done previously. 280 quid from mulcahys skip hire. They were great to deal with. Highly recommended.

One photo is from back in November

7 cubic yard skip took everything plus the skip bag full of cuttings from the side passage done previously. 280 quid from mulcahys skip hire. They were great to deal with. Highly recommended

7 cubic yard skip took everything plus the skip bag full of cuttings from the side passage done previously. 280 quid from mulcahys skip hire. They were great to deal with. Highly recommended

Can't seem to upload pics.....4mb limit it says

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Wasn't Japanese Knotweed was it?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I really, really, REALLY hope it was Russian Vine, or something even less invasive...

Russian-vine%20(Fallopia%20baldschuanica)%20%20Hedge%20near%20Aston%20Firs%20Campsite%20Sapcote%20SP%204626%209392%20(taken%2016.8.2006)..JPG

So do I! I'm trying to find an old pic of the vines in flower but quite sure it wasn't knotweed

So do I! I'm trying to find an old pic of the vines in flower but quite sure it wasn't knotweed

Any tips on uploading photos? Can't get it to work

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you have them saved somewhere, you can add them as attachments, but you have to click on "Go advanced". You should then see a paper clip icon. Click on that, select your file, then scroll to the right of the pop-up box and click on "upload". The file should appear as a link just under that, before the list of uploadable files. Select that link and copy it, then close the box. On thread, then, if you want to embed the image, click on the picture icon, remove the extra http:// and paste your link. Click on "Post" (or whatever) underneath the text box, and and there you have it, it should work. :)

Advertisement