Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrapping Daylight Saving time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

CramCycle wrote: »
    Am I really the only person who wants it stuck to winter time hours if it goes ahead. It just makes more sense to me. Days are long enough from now till November, an hour one way or the other makes no difference.

Nope, I'm with you.

For one thing I don't relish the hell that is morning school run traffic happening in darkness from late November to early February. Plus what chance do we have of getting kids to walk/cycle to school if they're going to have to have lights?

On the other end of the day, an extra hours daylight means nothing to me if it's still dark when I get home from work.

Also, for a bunch of reasons such as drivers still tucked up at that hour, able to get back at a reasonable time to do kids stuff, and just the fact that I'm a morning person - I love getting up and out for a 2-3 hour spin early at the weekend. As of this week, sunrise has now gone back to 7am which will curtain that without faffing around with lights for the next few weeks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Training, I could get up, get out, and be back in bed before anyone even knew, in daylight. Forgot about the club league to be honest.

Same, just leisure cycling and a bit of fitness but love to get up at 5am sneak out for a spin on empty roads and be back before anyone else is awake. Best time of the day to be cycling mid-week for me where evenings can be a bit hit and miss in terms of getting out of work on time and having to deal with heavier traffic. Sunrise in the hills is also a bit magical.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

daylight at 5am? in the winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dark mornings all the way. Keep the little feckers asleep for as long as possible.

Under the "new" regime it'll be dark until 8am on 1st March and from there will drift about 2 minutes per day. So you'll get your 6am starts by 1st May. 5:20am if you're happy to jam some lights on and get out in the dawn hour.

If you're the kind of person who'll hit the road at 6:30am on 1st March for a quick spin, then I can see how this would be annoying, but you are unfortunately in the minority. There's a reason why the roads are empty at that hour ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'd probably settle for starting Summer time earlier in the year, start of March maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i can't remember why the current clock change in the winter happens less than two months before the solstice, but doesn't change again until more than three months after. seems a little unbalanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

i can't remember why the current clock change in the winter happens less than two months before the solstice, but doesn't change again until more than three months after. seems a little unbalanced.
    Probably because we want nice long mild autumn evenings but the spring evenings are still too cold...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Raam wrote: »
    I'd probably settle for starting Summer time earlier in the year, start of March maybe.

I could live with this idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

it's curious that spain is on CET (portugal is not); madrid is further west than london.

maybe it *is* purely down to having longer evenings.

Its because of the Germans. When Franco was buddying up to Adolf in the 1930s he changed Spanish time to be on the same time as the Germans.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

neris wrote: »
    Because Hitler

Did you just Godwin the thread?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

daylight at 5am? in the winter?

Was brighter at 6am yesterday that it was today ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭plodder

Raam wrote: »
    Was going to say the same thing. It was unusually late this year, because the last Sunday was the last day of the month. I'd prefer the US approach which is the second Sunday of March and we'd have had the extra hour for the last three weeks.

As far as I know, this still has to be approved by the council of ministers, which I hope will ensure it gets more scrutiny than it has so far. One interesting aspect will be whether all the countries of the CET zone can agree on which of Summer or Winter time to choose. I could imagine countries to the east like Germany, Austria might want Summer time, but that might not suit France or Spain, who are already out of kilter with their "natural" timezone. Spain has been considering a switch to GMT anyway. And what about Switzerland then, which isn't in the EU? It could be very messy if different countries go different ways.

So, I don't think it's a done deal yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭plodder

Did you just Godwin the thread?
    Don't mention the war ...

Apparently, the Germans invented DST and now they are leading the charge to get rid of it ..

http://fortune.com/2019/03/30/germany-daylight-saving-time-eu/
    As for the unpopularity of sommerzeit in Germany, he proposed a concise theory.

For many people, he said, “complaining is an extremely important part of life.”

Plastik wrote: »
    On the east coast, sunset for the summer solstice would be 9pm give or take if we stayed on winter time. Sunrise would be 4am. 4am? D'fcuk use is that to anyone!

If only there was some incredibly simple yet clever system for moving that hour from the start of the day to the end of the day in the summer.

We could call it 'daylight savings time' and it would mean long summer evenings, not TOO much light in the mornings in the summer, and no long dark mornings in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

I don’t understand the need to change this, it suits Ireland perfectly. I’m a big fan of the current daylight savings system. Maybe because I don’t struggle to change a car clock?

The more I think about it, the better Raams idea sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The more I think about it, the better Raams idea sounds.

Who do I send the invoice to?

was just listening to this, just under 10 mins long; about heart attacks and whether the clock change does cause an upswing:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p073pcdb

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

was just listening to this, just under 10 mins long; about heart attacks and whether the clock change does cause an upswing:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p073pcdb
    Given what they say about the way sleep schedules for most people lurch around in the context of a single week, this once-a-year event bring the words of one J. Christ on straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What is wrong with you people?

ENDLESS SUMMER!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

I was thinking about all the clocks I wouldn't have to change if daylight savings ended, and how nice that would be.

Then I realised the amount of clocks that change automatically that I'm not able to change the firmware on - my bedside alarm, the boiler control panel, etc. - and realised that I'll have to change those instead. :rolleyes:

buffalo, on sunday morning (audio is definitely NSFW):

https://twitter.com/SusanSmythSL/status/1112394035908493313

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

flatface wrote: »
    I don’t understand the need to change this, it suits Ireland perfectly. I’m a big fan of the current daylight savings system. Maybe because I don’t struggle to change a car clock?
    No struggle with the car clock (another reason bikes are better - my bike computers just update time automatically :) ), but definitely found the last few mornings a struggle...

I'm not doing most of my training/ exercise in the morning, so last week up in the mountains was lovely. But already we've already gone 2 for 2 with family walks in in evenings that wouldn't have worked before the change.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Given what they say about the way sleep schedules for most people lurch around in the context of a single week, this once-a-year event bring the words of one J. Christ on straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel to mind.

Ahem. Twice-a-year event.

well, once a year in that they do say the effect is noted only at spring forward; it does not seem to occur at fall back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Why not a compromise and move the clocks forward half an hour and leave it that way .

I definitely find the Spring switcheroo harder to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I definitely find the Spring switcheroo harder to deal with.

Me too.

'having an hour extra in bed is easier than having an hour less' shocker!

• Advertisement

Ahem. Twice-a-year event.

It only goes forward once a year (I didn't listen to the podcast),

Advertisement