Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Combi boiler in the attic

• 29-11-2018 12:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Installer has recommended putting combi boiler in the attic, with controls on the landing. My reason for getting one is partly to make space as it's a small house (2 bedroom, one bathroom), so it makes sense. He also suggested trying it without a pump and installing one if needed (€400).

1/ Is installing these in the attic a good idea?

2/ Is it worth splashing out for a Viessmann rather than an Ideal Logic?

3/ Do they sometimes work well in Ireland without the need for a pump?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭youtheman

I'm not a plumber, so I can't really give you a definitive answer. But as an engineer I'm curious how a boiler could work in the attic without a pump if the radiators are at a lower level. Normally a boiler will come with a manual that explains exactly the limitation for installation (heights, distances etc.). Ask him to show you the installation manual that demonstrates that it can be fitted as he proposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

youtheman wrote: »
    I'm not a plumber, so I can't really give you a definitive answer. But as an engineer I'm curious how a boiler could work in the attic without a pump if the radiators are at a lower level. Normally a boiler will come with a manual that explains exactly the limitation for installation (heights, distances etc.). Ask him to show you the installation manual that demonstrates that it can be fitted as he proposes.

I had one in the attic for years it had a separate pump and zero issues. I believe some boilers have integrated pumps also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭derekbro

Could he be talking about a pump for the hot water to taps/shower (combi boiler) if the mains is not powerful enough, rather than pumps for the radiators?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

derekbro wrote: »
    Could he be talking about a pump for the hot water to taps/shower (combi boiler) if the mains is not powerful enough, rather than pumps for the radiators?

Yeah, that's what he's talking about. Install it in attic without a pump and check water pressure on hot taps/shower etc. And if it's not good enough, then install pump in the attic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Tusky wrote:
    3/ Do they sometimes work well in Ireland without the need for a pump?

Be very careful here. You will have a circulation for the heating so no worries there. The correct way to install a combi boiler is not off the mains supply as this is against regulations. It comes from the cold water tank & pumped to the combi. The cold water will also be pumped so you will have equal pressure.

If you have your hot water from the combi boiler at mains pressure & your cold water from the cold water tank in the attic your shower will have maybe a bar of hot water pressure and a quarter bar of cold water supply. The shower mixer is designed for equal pressure & you won't be able to control the water temperature in the shower.

A plumber from Finglas I have heard about fits combi boilers from the mains & then tells his client to get out of the shower & go to the boiler (in the attic in your case) to adjust the water temperature and then get back into the shower.

You need a pump & your plumber should be telling you this. Most plumbers won't install a combi the way he's suggesting. You will want a good quality brass body pump. Brass body pumps are much quieter than plastic body pumps. You will spend 400 to 550 on a good pump with a five years warranty.

I can't speak for the rest of the country but DCC regulations state mains water should only be used for cold water at the kitchen tap. Everything else should come off the cold water storage tank in the attic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭dathi

Sleeper12 wrote: »

I can't speak for the rest of the country but DCC regulations state mains water should only be used for cold water at the kitchen tap. Everything else should come off the cold water storage tank in the attic

its all the country taken from the building regulations TGDs part G

1.3 The cold water supply to the kitchen sink should
    be taken directly from the service pipe supplying
    water to the dwelling; the cold water supply to the
    bath or shower and the washbasin and to other
    appliances in the dwelling should be from a cold
    water storage cistern. The bath, shower, washbasin,
    and sink should also have a piped supply of hot
    water, which may be from a central source or from a
    unit water heater.

dathi wrote: »
    its all the country taken from the building regulations TGDs part G

1.3 The cold water supply to the kitchen sink should
    be taken directly from the service pipe supplying
    water to the dwelling; the cold water supply to the
    bath or shower and the washbasin and to other
    appliances in the dwelling should be from a cold
    water storage cistern. The bath, shower, washbasin,
    and sink should also have a piped supply of hot
    water, which may be from a central source or from a
    unit water heater.

I didn't know if it was in the building regs or not. I just knew it's a DCC requirement. So the above installation will be against the regs anywhere in Ireland.

Thanks for the update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

How noisy will the boiler be? And if you have to add a pump will that make even more noise?
    We put our boiler and pump in the back garden (it was originally planned to go in the kitchen). Am very pleased it's outside!
    Would that be an option?

How noisy will the boiler be? And if you have to add a pump will that make even more noise?
    We put our boiler and pump in the back garden (it was originally planned to go in the kitchen). Am very pleased it's outside!
    Would that be an option?

Old boilers were never that noisy. I still have a gas back boiler in our sitting room. Modern boilers they don't make any noise. Quite often you have to look for the pilot light to know that it's actually fired up.

I have a 3 bar brass body pump inches from my head as I sleep. It's that quiet I can't hear it on the other side of the wall. If ypu buy the right pump they are super quiet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Old boilers were never that noisy. I still have a gas back boiler in our sitting room. Modern boilers they don't make any noise. Quite often you have to look for the pilot light to know that it's actually fired up.

I have a 3 bar brass body pump inches from my head as I sleep. It's that quiet I can't hear it on the other side of the wall. If ypu buy the right pump they are super quiet

Can you link me to one of these brass pumps please? Budget is an issue so I'd be looking at one of the cheaper ones.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote:
    Can you link me to one of these brass pumps please? Budget is an issue so I'd be looking at one of the cheaper ones.

I can't link on my phone but search for Stuart Turner monsoon brass body or salamander brass body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I have a system boiler installed in my attiic and it's a great solution for me, it keeps the boiler off a wall in the house.
    The pump is likely recommended for boosting the hot water supply as with the boiler in the attic there is no head to build pressure in the hot water supply.
    I have a pump to boost my HW supply installed in the hotpress.
    1 word of advice for the pump would be ensure the installer makes it as stable as possible on installation, they can be very noisy.

Advertisement