Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial buildings in Galway City and changes over the years

Options
  • 29-11-2018 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

According to a report published last week in the online edition of the Irish Independent, it seems that Barnacles Hostel (and associated businesses) has been part of a sale which also involves Barnacles Hostel premises in Dublin. The hostel located on Quay Street next door to Number 10 convenience shop is located right opposite the popular Quay's Bar. Another hostel operator in Galway City which operates under the brand, Snoozles Hostel on Forster Street (near New Coach Station) is to add the former Barnacles Hostel on Quay Street to it's hostel accommodation portfolio.

https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/barnacles-dublin-and-galway-hostels-sold-for-over-12m-37552350.html

Earlier this year another hostel called "Nimmo's Hostel" located in the West End on 1 Upper Dominic Street closed down suddenly. One would wonder if Nimmo's will ever re-open as a hostel in the future or; if the building will be sold altogether? Nimmo's was previously known as Archview Hostel in the '90's and was probably the cheapest for hostel accommodation in the city however; the hostel premises has required major investment for quite some time and would probably most suit a buyer that is already operating in the sector. Galway can never have enough hostel accommodation especially in the "budget/economy segment" of the market as it can be rather expensive to stay at some of the other upmarket hostels such as BUNK or Kinlay in Galway City on weekends not to mention the busy Summer festivals period between June-September. Nimmo's entry on Google's search engine suggests it is "permanently closed" although; a recent walk past it still showed Nimmo's Hostel painted on the wall despite having been closed since before last Summer! It will be interesting to see if the premises has a future as a hostel. I recall back in the late 1990's "The Great Western House" close to Ceannt Railway Station had once operated as a large tourist hostel in the city.

Another building in Galway's Shop Street has been all boarded up for over 20 years and I think it was once occupied by Taaffe's. Many people set up stalls or busking pitches right in front of the now "boarded-up" premises and I've even witnessed the facade being painted when Galway was pitching to be the host city for the European Capital of Culture in 2020. Just seems such a waste in a prime spot thinking back during the so called "Celtic Tiger" boom trading period. I wonder what the story is with the building just sitting there all this time in a busy retail shopping sector of Galway City Centre? Below links show photos of the premises (i) Appearance of the exterior boarded-up facade in recent years and (ii) the shop front facade as it operated in it's heyday!

Former TAAFFE's Shop boarded-up in recent years:
    https://connachttribune.ie/one-in-seven-commercial-premises-empty-in-galway-011/

Former TAAFFE's Shop during it's heyday!
    https://www.facebook.com/loughcorribireland/photos/pcb.1247489122017246/1247488912017267/?type=3&theater

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The Taafes 'building' is just a wall, it's an empty hole behind that wall.

It's perfect location for a multistory apartment building with parking, possibly with commerical units underneath like what Edward Square is/was.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Taafes would make a great H&M or Zara, I think Zara was meant to move in their years ago but it fell through?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Not according to Google maps, there is a building and open space behind it. I spot dense greenery behind Brown Thomas as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

FitzShane wrote: »
    The Taafes 'building' is just a wall, it's an empty hole behind that wall.

The building itself is still standing, it's just in a condition that would make restoring it impractical and would probably be knocked.
    Thre's a large yard to the rear though.

It's perfect location for a multistory apartment building with parking, possibly with commerical units underneath like what Edward Square is/was.

There's no road access to the building from any side.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The front onto Shop St should be commercial on all levels: there's way too much street noise for it to be viable as residential. Also there's only one narrow vehicle access, not sure if parking would be viable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

bicycle parking, obliviously ;)

The building itself is still standing, it's just in a condition that would make restoring it impractical and would probably be knocked.
    Thre's a large yard to the rear though.

I used to live in Edward Square up until last month (which also has no road access onto it) and could see right in behind the wall. It's an empty hole!! It's full of rubbish and traffic cones.

No reason why a doorway path into a building can be built there, like the 2 on either side of Edward Square. It's actually possible to extend the current Edward Square one into the back of Taafse's building I would imagine also.

EDIT: Maybe what I could see is the yard, if it is, then it's a pretty large yard and adding that onto the building would make a large area very capable of holding residential units.
    The front onto Shop St should be commercial on all levels: there's way too much street noise for it to be viable as residential. Also there's only one narrow vehicle access, not sure if parking would be viable.

Again, there is no parking in Edward Square blocks, but they fill the apartments. Students wouldn't care about noise levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I used to live in Edward Square up until last month (which also has no road access onto it) and could see right in behind the wall. It's an empty hole!! It's full of rubbish and traffic cones.

No reason why a doorway path into a building can be built there, like the 2 on either side of Edward Square. It's actually possible to extend the current Edward Square one into the back of Taafse's building I would imagine also.

EDIT: Maybe what I could see is the yard, if it is, then it's a pretty large yard and adding that onto the building would make a large area very capable of holding residential units.

Again, there is no parking in Edward Square blocks, but they fill the apartments. Students wouldn't care about noise levels.

You could see the back of the building and the large yard behing it and H Samuels, have a look at satalite view on google maps, the building is intact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

According to a report published last week in the online edition of the Irish Independent, it seems that Barnacles Hostel (and associated businesses) has been part of a sale which also involves Barnacles Hostel premises in Dublin. The hostel located on Quay Street next door to Number 10 convenience shop is located right opposite the popular Quay's Bar. Another hostel operator in Galway City which operates under the brand, Snoozles Hostel on Forster Street (near New Coach Station) is to add the former Barnacles Hostel on Quay Street to it's hostel accommodation portfolio.

https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/barnacles-dublin-and-galway-hostels-sold-for-over-12m-37552350.html

Earlier this year another hostel called "Nimmo's Hostel" located in the West End on 1 Upper Dominic Street closed down suddenly. One would wonder if Nimmo's will ever re-open as a hostel in the future or; if the building will be sold altogether? Nimmo's was previously known as Archview Hostel in the '90's and was probably the cheapest for hostel accommodation in the city however; the hostel premises has required major investment for quite some time and would probably most suit a buyer that is already operating in the sector. Galway can never have enough hostel accommodation especially in the "budget/economy segment" of the market as it can be rather expensive to stay at some of the other upmarket hostels such as BUNK or Kinlay in Galway City on weekends not to mention the busy Summer festivals period between June-September. Nimmo's entry on Google's search engine suggests it is "permanently closed" although; a recent walk past it still showed Nimmo's Hostel painted on the wall despite having been closed since before last Summer! It will be interesting to see if the premises has a future as a hostel. I recall back in the late 1990's "The Great Western House" close to Ceannt Railway Station had once operated as a large tourist hostel in the city.

Another building in Galway's Shop Street has been all boarded up for over 20 years and I think it was once occupied by Taaffe's. Many people set up stalls or busking pitches right in front of the now "boarded-up" premises and I've even witnessed the facade being painted when Galway was pitching to be the host city for the European Capital of Culture in 2020. Just seems such a waste in a prime spot thinking back during the so called "Celtic Tiger" boom trading period. I wonder what the story is with the building just sitting there all this time in a busy retail shopping sector of Galway City Centre? Below links show photos of the premises (i) Appearance of the exterior boarded-up facade in recent years and (ii) the shop front facade as it operated in it's heyday!

Former TAAFFE's Shop boarded-up in recent years:
    https://connachttribune.ie/one-in-seven-commercial-premises-empty-in-galway-011/

Former TAAFFE's Shop during it's heyday!
    https://www.facebook.com/loughcorribireland/photos/pcb.1247489122017246/1247488912017267/?type=3&theater

Yes, Burkeway bought the Barnacles, seems to be doing well again, building houses too fair play the only guys doing it in town it seems

Nimmos Hostel ripe for the Roisin Dubh to extend into one would think. Stayed there once or twice a serious dive you would want to be out of it to sleep!

Quite a lot of hostels around now Kinlay, Snoozles *2, Sleepzone, the ones in Salthill. But probably a good use of secondary streets eg Dominick Street, parts of Docks etc. VAT going up makes it a bit less viable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Taaffes is a protected structure so they can't knock anything. All of the buildings are on Shop Street as far as I know. Eagle eyes will notice that new shops are generally within an inner shell of the outer structure.

I have a feeling Gerry Barrett bought it previously so it could be in NAMA now. There used to be tennis courts out the back so that would explain the yard/empty space.

• Advertisement

Yes there is, from a laneway down Abbeygate St.

Even for students the street noise on Shop St is too much. They definitely would care about the 6am street sweepers and 8-9am keg deliveries. Some would be freaked by the 4am "I'll kill you" screamers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Yes there is, from a laneway down Abbeygate St. =quote]

If you mean the lane, on the left hand side going down, with the big double height gates I thought that was the access to the rear of the townhouses and apartment's that the city council developed on the corner of Whitehall and lower abbeygate street.?

Yes there is, from a laneway down Abbeygate St.

Even for students the street noise on Shop St is too much. They definitely would care about the 6am street sweepers and 8-9am keg deliveries. Some would be freaked by the 4am "I'll kill you" screamers too.

Beside Venice? Looks blocked from the satellite view. There's a building there anyway and it doesn't look like you can pass either side of it.
    Side-note: Anyone remember when you could walk through the Arch Mews laneway (between the Four Corners and Vision Express) and it came out on Abbeygate Street? I seem to remember another gate near what's now the Oxfam Shop, but there's no obvious sign of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

youngrun wrote: »
    Yes, Burkeway bought the Barnacles, seems to be doing well again, building houses too fair play the only guys doing it in town it seems

Nimmos Hostel ripe for the Roisin Dubh to extend into one would think. Stayed there once or twice a serious dive you would want to be out of it to sleep!

Quite a lot of hostels around now Kinlay, Snoozles *2, Sleepzone, the ones in Salthill. But probably a good use of secondary streets eg Dominick Street, parts of Docks etc. VAT going up makes it a bit less viable

I understand that there is a former Butcher's shop (this particular unit has been boarded up for some time now) which would have had it's front window and main entrance directly facing on to Upper Dominick Street. Owner of Nimmo's hostel (previously called Archview Hostel) building also owned the vacant butcher premises which should offer an attractive proposition for any commercial buyer if it was all placed on the market.

Not sure if the pub/nightclub trade is in expansion mode in Galway these days in comparison to the boom years unless the owners of establishments like the Roisín Dubh for instance decided to purchase the premises with a view to renovating and operating the former Nimmos/former Butcher's as a new hostel & WIFI cafe in Galway's West End as this part of town would give patrons an alternative choice of location. As Nimmo's had got run down it probably did not attract a certain cohort of guest in the past but the location spot has still got huge potential if developed and managed properly. Galway already has a fairly newly opened luxury/boutique type "Nest" hostel out closer to Salthill so; a budget economy type hostel would probably gain more traction as many of the hostels have been raising their price-points in recent years anyway like BUNK, Kinlay House, the Savoy, Sleepzone, Galway City Hostel etc; Budget/Economy hostel & WIFI Cafe in a brightly lit, clean, secure, safe, funky facility is probably the way to go.

westgolf wrote: »
    If you mean the lane, on the left hand side going down, with the big double height gates I thought that was the access to the rear of the townhouses and apartment's that the city council developed on the corner of Whitehall and lower abbeygate street.?

It's that too. But not exclusively, or even mainly.

And yes its beside Venice. Not blocked, it's part of the evacuation route / firefighting access for the Shopping Centre - that why the security guards from the centre unlock the gate eeach day.

Its not a good access for a carparking building though, duecto the small street size. 😀 Maybe the cyclists could argue for a bulk bicycle parking facility there, though.

It's that too. But not exclusively, or even mainly.

And yes its beside Venice. Not blocked, it's part of the evacuation route / firefighting access for the Shopping Centre - that why the security guards from the centre unlock the gate eeach day.

Its not a good access for a carparking building though, duecto the small street size. �� Maybe the cyclists could argue for a bulk bicycle parking facility there, though.

You sure it's clear? Looks like there's a building between the yard behind Venice/Whitehall and the yard at the back of Taaffes. I'm only going off the satellite image though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Heard the same about Zara going into Taffes. Apparently Zara and H&M are owned by the same company and one won’t locate in a new city without the other.

Any idea when construction will start on the new hotel where Shannon Laundry used to be? There has been hoardings up for a while with “The Dean” written on them.

Redo91 wrote: »
    Heard the same about Zara going into Taffes. Apparently Zara and H&M are owned by the same company and one won’t locate in a new city without the other.

Any idea when construction will start on the new hotel where Shannon Laundry used to be? There has been hoardings up for a while with “The Dean” written on them.

Once they sort the rat and asbestos problems :pac:

xckjoo wrote: »
    You sure it's clear? Looks like there's a building between the yard behind Venice/Whitehall and the yard at the back of Taaffes. I'm only going off the satellite image though.

Oh, sorry if I opened up a hornet's nest in relation to the former TAAFFES Shop that has been boarded up for all those years. I hope this building in such a prime retail site will enjoy a more prominent future at some point in the coming years.

I would also like to see other commercial premises like the former Nimmo's Hostel and old butcher's (underneath the same hostel premises) being brought back to life again as closed or inactive premises often results in buildings deteriorating and even becoming dangerous and can negatively impact on all neighbouring business interests, local citizens, visiting tourists etc;

Oh, sorry if I opened up a hornet's nest in relation to the former TAAFFES Shop that has been boarded up for all those years. I hope this building in such a prime retail site will enjoy a more prominent future at some point in the coming years.

I would also like to see other commercial premises like the former Nimmo's Hostel and old butcher's (underneath the same hostel premises) being brought back to life again as closed or inactive premises often results in buildings deteriorating and even becoming dangerous and can negatively impact on all neighbouring business interests, local citizens, visiting tourists etc;

Nah. Don't think you've opened anything. Taaffes and it's deceased owner are a local institution that's worth looking into. It was still open around the turn of the millennium but most people wouldn't be going in there. When Una Taaffe left it closed and nothing has happened with it since. It was probably a victim of its own potential; a valuable commercial location but in need of investment. As I said earlier, Gerry Barrett tried to do something with it during the boom, but nothing came of it. I'm sure it needs more work now after being vacant for so long.

That butchers is a fascinating place too. For years you'd think it was closed, only to randomly see the door open and sausage links in the window. I'd love to know more about it.

There's also Ideal Drapery beside it. That's been empty as long as I can remember. Occasionally you hear rumors about something happening with it but so far nothing. I think the Roisin might use it for storage or something.

• Advertisement

Nah. Don't think you've opened anything. Taaffes and it's deceased owner are a local institution that's worth looking into. It was still open around the turn of the millennium but most people wouldn't be going in there. When Una Taaffe left it closed and nothing has happened with it since. It was probably a victim of its own potential; a valuable commercial location but in need of investment. As I said earlier, Gerry Barrett tried to do something with it during the boom, but nothing came of it. I'm sure it needs more work now after being vacant for so long.

That butchers is a fascinating place too. For years you'd think it was closed, only to randomly see the door open and sausage links in the window. I'd love to know more about it.

There's also Ideal Drapery beside it. That's been empty as long as I can remember. Occasionally you hear rumors about something happening with it but so far nothing. I think the Roisin might use it for storage or something.

I've been a visitor to the city of Galway since 1996 and I cannot say that I can ever remember Taaffes shop or any retail outlet operating from that premises. It was unusual to see any retail store completely boarded up on that street which had a very high footfall. Not long afterwards probably around 1997 this and other adjoining streets would be pedestrianised although the cobble stone surfaces have not stood the test of time with pooling of water and loose cobble stones which are a health & safety hazard if wearing certain types of footwear.

About 15-20yrs ago it was still possible to see the imprint of the TAAFFE lettering over entrance to Taaffes shop. Until recently, I assumed in error that it might have been a previous location for Taaffes Bar as I was not familiar with the surname but I was clearly wrong on that front.

The former Nimmos Hostel which was previously called Archview Hostel was owned by the same business interest. Apparently, the last owner of the property used run the butcher's at one point until it closed some years previously. I gather it was passed on to the next generation but they may not have had any interest in developing it themselves. The hostel building did have some improvement works carried out in recent years as the kitchen/lounge/bathrooms/some dorms/beds were updated but it still needed more by way of major investment and additional staff. The hallway, corridors and stairwells left a bad first impression and it needed things like TV Room, Bookcase, Board games, Public Computer(s) with free internet access, free breakfast etc; The main hostel entrance was almost hidden away in a dark corner and it clearly needed improved security controls. All of the windows needed to be replaced with triple glazing so that any hostel guests who needed to sleep at night were not kept awake until 03:00am by street revellers passing or the outdoor smoking facilities belonging to the Roisín Dubh located to the rear of the building. Nimmo's Hostel could tick a lot of boxes but needed further investment in guest amenities/facilities & additional staff to keep things running smoothly as it's too much for 1 or 2 individuals. If it was brought right up to scratch then it should flourish if the price-point was set at budget/economy and lots of marketing on all the social media, local tourist business attractions and the ability of booking direct via website.

Perhaps the owners of Nimmos Hostel should seek help of Francis & John Brennan from RTÉ TV series "At Your Service" as they did excellent work in this area in past with the "Old Monastery Hostel" in Letterfrack, Co. Galway, Portree House in Waterford City, BUNK Boutique hostel Galway and other establishments through their popular tv series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Once they sort the rat and asbestos problems :pac:

That would explain the delay! :P

Actually, I thought H&M & Zara were meant to be going into Knocknacarra when Phase 2 is completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Actually, I thought H&M & Zara were meant to be going into Knocknacarra when Phase 2 is completed?

These two seem to be touted for every new development or refurbishment project. Not too long ago they were to be the tenants of the new units created by the new entrance to the Eyre square centre on the skeff side.

These two seem to be touted for every new development or refurbishment project. Not too long ago they were to be the tenants of the new units created by the new entrance to the Eyre square centre on the skeff side.

to be honest, I was going from this.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106834283#post106834283

https://brochures.bannon.ie/files/galway-gateway-shopping-park.pdf

There is but I'm pretty sure its modern and dispensible.

The Taffes shop site was going to be developed during the boom - but then there were safety guidelines introduced about building within a certain distance of oil/bitumen (or whatever they were) tankers, after a disaster in the UK. The tankers have since been moved, so the site can be developed now.

I've been a visitor to the city of Galway since 1996 and I cannot say that I can ever remember Taaffes shop or any retail outlet operating from that premises. It was unusual to see any retail store completely boarded up on that street which had a very high footfall. Not long afterwards probably around 1997 this and other adjoining streets would be pedestrianised although the cobble stone surfaces have not stood the test of time with pooling of water and loose cobble stones which are a health & safety hazard if wearing certain types of footwear.

About 15-20yrs ago it was still possible to see the imprint of the TAAFFE lettering over entrance to Taaffes shop. Until recently, I assumed in error that it might have been a previous location for Taaffes Bar as I was not familiar with the surname but I was clearly wrong on that front.

The former Nimmos Hostel which was previously called Archview Hostel was owned by the same business interest. Apparently, the last owner of the property used run the butcher's at one point until it closed some years previously. I gather it was passed on to the next generation but they may not have had any interest in developing it themselves. The hostel building did have some improvement works carried out in recent years as the kitchen/lounge/bathrooms/some dorms/beds were updated but it still needed more by way of major investment and additional staff. The hallway, corridors and stairwells left a bad first impression and it needed things like TV Room, Bookcase, Board games, Public Computer(s) with free internet access, free breakfast etc; The main hostel entrance was almost hidden away in a dark corner and it clearly needed improved security controls. All of the windows needed to be replaced with triple glazing so that any hostel guests who needed to sleep at night were not kept awake until 03:00am by street revellers passing or the outdoor smoking facilities belonging to the Roisín Dubh located to the rear of the building. Nimmo's Hostel could tick a lot of boxes but needed further investment in guest amenities/facilities & additional staff to keep things running smoothly as it's too much for 1 or 2 individuals. If it was brought right up to scratch then it should flourish if the price-point was set at budget/economy and lots of marketing on all the social media, local tourist business attractions and the ability of booking direct via website.

Perhaps the owners of Nimmos Hostel should seek help of Francis & John Brennan from RTÉ TV series "At Your Service" as they did excellent work in this area in past with the "Old Monastery Hostel" in Letterfrack, Co. Galway, Portree House in Waterford City, BUNK Boutique hostel Galway and other establishments through their popular tv series.

I'd say Taaffes was still technically open in 1996. If that's before pedestrianization then it definitely was. It had irregular opening hours to say the least :D. From my understanding, the Taaffes were akin to local gentry at one stage. I think the family was down to Una by the time I was born though. The story goes that she was a renowned beauty in her youth but lost her husband/boyfriend/fiance and never recovered mentally/emotionally. She was well known around town but not always for the best reasons. She had a big love of dogs and a no love for cleanliness. If the door of Taaffes was open you held your breath and walked quickly. Found a thread here on boards related to her death. I haven't actually read it but should have some more info if you're interested.

That's interesting about the hostel. I've always been curious as to who owned it and what the story with it was. I wonder was it always owned by the butchers. Would somewhat explain why the butchers would randomly open some days. There used to be quite a few butchers in that area. I can think of 3 along the Domnick Street/Henry Street line.

That would explain the delay! :P
    Ha! The asbestos could be rumors but it wouldn't be too surprising either. It was bought by the Comer brothers a few years ago and they seem to be sitting on all their properties until the price is right. Hopefully something will happen there and with the Corrib Great Southern soon. Both will displace a lot of rodents though :pac:

Ya. It used to be Burger King but then they ruined it by opening up somewhere :D

I'd say Taaffes was still technically open in 1996. If that's before pedestrianization then it definitely was. It had irregular opening hours to say the least :D. From my understanding, the Taaffes were akin to local gentry at one stage. I think the family was down to Una by the time I was born though. The story goes that she was a renowned beauty in her youth but lost her husband/boyfriend/fiance and never recovered mentally/emotionally. She was well known around town but not always for the best reasons. She had a big love of dogs and a no love for cleanliness. If the door of Taaffes was open you held your breath and walked quickly. Found a thread here on boards related to her death. I haven't actually read it but should have some more info if you're interested.

That's interesting about the hostel. I've always been curious as to who owned it and what the story with it was. I wonder was it always owned by the butchers. Would somewhat explain why the butchers would randomly open some days. There used to be quite a few butchers in that area. I can think of 3 along the Domnick Street/Henry Street line.

Ha! The asbestos could be rumors but it wouldn't be too surprising either. It was bought by the Comer brothers a few years ago and they seem to be sitting on all their properties until the price is right. Hopefully something will happen there and with the Corrib Great Southern soon. Both will displace a lot of rodents though :pac:

I do recall seeing the glass window surround of the former butcher shop on Upper Dominick Street right underneath what was Nimmo's Hostel but it would have been during the hours of darkness. Many old style butcher shops did not have the added lines found in today's stores like deli, fruit+veg etc; At the end of a day's trading, you often found a "deserted-looking" interior once all of the produce was sold and/or removed from counter displays as the shop prepared to close for the evening and stock was returned to storage. I'm not sure if that particular butcher's ever sold other produce as I never set foot in the shop as I never came from the Galway area myself. I was just surprised when someone mentioned that the owner of the butcher's apparently also owned the Nimmo's Hostel premises overhead and the butcher's had been idle while the hostel needed a major refurbishment to bring it up to modern spec. as hostel guests would have much higher expectations these days based on standards implemented at other hostels not just in Galway City but in other centres too.

On busy weekends and during long Summer festivals period, you can never have enough options especially in the budget/economy accommodation sector. I think hostels are great but some of them have increased their rates too much and do not always offer sufficient value when you think of how many people can potentially pay to occupy a bunk bed in a single dormitory bedroom which may not be a large room for the number of persons. Some of the hostels can justify charging optimum rates based on supply & demand while others cannot as not all have same standard of facilities/amenities/services etc;

A place like Galway is still a popular holiday & short breaks destinations for citizens living in Ireland and abroad although; it needs to be affordable as otherwise; a certain cohort of visitor will just travel & stay in other locations where accommodation is just as comfortable but less expensive, where food+drink is generally cheaper, plenty of cultural attractions that also cater for those on relatively modest incomes. One hears this sentiment all the time ever since airlines like Ryanair offer cheap air fares to lower cost of living destinations like Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic etc;

All towns & cities in a proper functioning market need a sufficient range of options to cater for a mix due to differing income brackets - there is a market for luxury, upscale, mid-scale and budget/economy scale in everything.

Oh I forgot about the eyesore that would become of the former Corrib Great Southern Hotel outside the city. I think my parents may have taken a Golden Oldies stay a few years before it closed down. I gather it had closed even before the economic crash happened in 2008? Awful to see how the property was allowed to deteriorate in that way for so long.

Anyone remember the Amusement Arcade that once operated over Supermac's Restaurant in Eyre Square during the late '90' and the convenience shop near entrance to Skeffington Arms Hotel? In better times I recall a much busier King's Head, a much busier GBC Restaurant, Cuba's, Lynch's Restaurant over Zhivago's, HMV record store, Redlight Records, Golden Discs, Roches Stores, SuperValu supermarkets in two city centre shopping centres, Townhouse Bar, Eddie Rocket's/Rockin Joe's, News at Ten newsagents, Kenny's Book Shop/Art Gallery and so on... To be fair, it's not all down to Galway as some stores either closed down their branch network or were taken over by another operator like Debenhams took over from Roches Stores for instance but you can still see that there is constant change.

Hopefully cities like Galway will bounce back as I can see it has suffered like most places across Ireland since the economy crashed 10 years ago but business is not booming and people do not have the same disposable income despite the record numbers back in employment. BREXIT uncertainty which also effects the Irish economy does not exactly help with investment decisions being parked and it may not be sorted by 29th March if "no deal" scenario or an extended transition period comes into the mix. That said, the fact that Snoozles hostel is expanding it's own hostel bedroom stock by acquiring Barnacles Hostel on Quay Street suggests that there are some grounds for optimism in the whole hostel sector in the Galway City region so; maybe an investor would be willing to take a punt by acquiring a former long established hostel premises like Nimmo's/Archview Hostel on Upper Dominick Street in order to gain a foothold presence in the West End of Galway City should the building premises ever be placed on the open market? Interesting times ahead!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

I do recall seeing the glass window surround of the former butcher shop on Upper Dominick Street right underneath what was Nimmo's Hostel but it would have been during the hours of darkness. Many old style butcher shops did not have the added lines found in today's stores like deli, fruit+veg etc; At the end of a day's trading, you often found a "deserted-looking" interior once all of the produce was sold and/or removed from counter displays as the shop prepared to close for the evening and stock was returned to storage. I'm not sure if that particular butcher's ever sold other produce as I never set foot in the shop as I never came from the Galway area myself. I was just surprised when someone mentioned that the owner of the butcher's apparently also owned the Nimmo's Hostel premises overhead and the butcher's had been idle while the hostel needed a major refurbishment to bring it up to modern spec. as hostel guests would have much higher expectations these days based on standards implemented at other hostels not just in Galway City but in other centres too.

On busy weekends and during long Summer festivals period, you can never have enough options especially in the budget/economy accommodation sector. I think hostels are great but some of them have increased their rates too much and do not always offer sufficient value when you think of how many people can potentially pay to occupy a bunk bed in a single dormitory bedroom which may not be a large room for the number of persons. Some of the hostels can justify charging optimum rates based on supply & demand while others cannot as not all have same standard of facilities/amenities/services etc;

A place like Galway is still a popular holiday & short breaks destinations for citizens living in Ireland and abroad although; it needs to be affordable as otherwise; a certain cohort of visitor will just travel & stay in other locations where accommodation is just as comfortable but less expensive, where food+drink is generally cheaper, plenty of cultural attractions that also cater for those on relatively modest incomes. One hears this sentiment all the time ever since airlines like Ryanair offer cheap air fares to lower cost of living destinations like Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic etc;

All towns & cities in a proper functioning market need a sufficient range of options to cater for a mix due to differing income brackets - there is a market for luxury, upscale, mid-scale and budget/economy scale in everything.

Oh I forgot about the eyesore that would become of the former Corrib Great Southern Hotel outside the city. I think my parents may have taken a Golden Oldies stay a few years before it closed down. I gather it had closed even before the economic crash happened in 2008? Awful to see how the property was allowed to deteriorate in that way for so long.

Anyone remember the Amusement Arcade that once operated over Supermac's Restaurant in Eyre Square during the late '90' and the convenience shop near entrance to Skeffington Arms Hotel? In better times I recall a much busier King's Head, a much busier GBC Restaurant, Cuba's, Lynch's Restaurant over Zhivago's, HMV record store, Redlight Records, Golden Discs, Roches Stores, SuperValu supermarkets in two city centre shopping centres, Townhouse Bar, Eddie Rocket's/Rockin Joe's, News at Ten newsagents, Kenny's Book Shop/Art Gallery and so on... To be fair, it's not all down to Galway as some stores either closed down their branch network or were taken over by another operator like Debenhams took over from Roches Stores for instance but you can still see that there is constant change.

Hopefully cities like Galway will bounce back as I can see it has suffered like most places across Ireland since the economy crashed 10 years ago but business is not booming and people do not have the same disposable income despite the record numbers back in employment. BREXIT uncertainty which also effects the Irish economy does not exactly help with investment decisions being parked and it may not be sorted by 29th March if "no deal" scenario or an extended transition period comes into the mix. That said, the fact that Snoozles hostel is expanding it's own hostel bedroom stock by acquiring Barnacles Hostel on Quay Street suggests that there are some grounds for optimism in the whole hostel sector in the Galway City region so; maybe an investor would be willing to take a punt by acquiring a former long established hostel premises like Nimmo's/Archview Hostel on Upper Dominick Street in order to gain a foothold presence in the West End of Galway City should the building premises ever be placed on the open market? Interesting times ahead!

You write very well, and have plenty of commercial nous, maybe you should invest in such tourist accommodation ventures!

Nimmos Hostel is one alright that would lend itself to a major upgrade and do well, perhaps with a coffee shop on ground floor if room. Dominick Street has loads of potential and some plans are afoot eg Carrolls have a 40+ bed hotel planned - will it happen? Porters have a huge landbank at rear of their property, Silkes Cash and Carry is a massive premises that could work as indoor markets or more likely will be a student block.

Advertisement