Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial buildings in Galway City and changes over the years

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

youngrun wrote: »
    You write very well, and have plenty of commercial nous, maybe you should invest in such tourist accommodation ventures!

Nimmos Hostel is one alright that would lend itself to a major upgrade and do well, perhaps with a coffee shop on ground floor if room. Dominick Street has loads of potential and some plans are afoot eg Carrolls have a 40+ bed hotel planned - will it happen? Porters have a huge landbank at rear of their property, Silkes Cash and Carry is a massive premises that could work as indoor markets or more likely will be a student block.

Thank you for your positive feedback. If I was based in Galway and if I had significant spare funds available it would be worth consideration. However; a chain of events since '09 has meant that I am not in any financial position to invest in such a project much as I would like. I reckon if the former Nimmos Hostel and former butcher's unit underneath were put up for sale, it may attract major interest from domestic and/or overseas investors. This location is unique for a hostel & coffee shop business as there are no other hostels in Galway City's West End to my knowledge. Close to popular venues like Monroe's and Roisín Dubh's should not make it unsuitable as this can be a plus provided the building has new triple-glazed windows installed throughout as they would be required given that the existing windows fittings are no longer fit for purpose anyway. I remember some years ago, the coffee shop Java's on Upper Abbeygate Street used remain open until about 04:00am some nights and customers had the option of playing board games which gave an alternative to the pub if someone was a night owl but did not necessarily want to be drinking alcohol every time they were out in town? Perhaps a coffee bar with food with late opening hours might work if it is managed differently but it would require some "thinking outside the box".

Nimmo's Hostel premises has been in a rundown state for about 30+ years despite some refurbishment works carried out in recent years. If another programme of improvements was put in place on a phased basis by a new owner/management company it could be brought back up to a satisfactory standard and would also lift the morale of employees. Perhaps a budget/economy model for dormitory guests and have other revenue raising measures like higher tier charges for private room accommodation, coffee/juice/ice cream novelty bar on ground floor in part of old butcher outlet, vending machines with drinks/confectionery in hostel, hostel act as tour ticketing agent, laundry charges, secure storage for valuables for nominal fee, towel hire, bicycle hire agent etc; ticket agent for Monroe's & Roisín Dubh special acts etc;

Francis & John Brennan off the RTÉ broadcast series "At Your Service" would probably have similar suggestions/recommendations based on what they proposed for other hostels needing help in Ireland.

http://www.nimmoshostel.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

You write very well, and have plenty of commercial nous, maybe you should invest in such tourist accommodation ventures!

Nimmos Hostel is one alright that would lend itself to a major upgrade and do well, perhaps with a coffee shop on ground floor if room. Dominick Street has loads of potential and some plans are afoot eg Carrolls have a 40+ bed hotel planned - will it happen? Porters have a huge landbank at rear of their property, Silkes Cash and Carry is a massive premises that could work as indoor markets or more likely will be a student block.

So far I've been familiar with pretty much all places but where is Porters?

So far I've been familiar with pretty much all places but where is Porters?

Unfortunately, I am not sure myself where "Porters" is located so; hopefully "youngrun" will view this post and be able clarify it for all concerned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Unfortunately, I am not sure myself where "Porters" is located so; hopefully "youngrun" will view this post and be able clarify it for all concerned :)

Porters was formerly a distribution centre for a news paper contract. Its half way up Dominick on the right as you look from Monroe's towards the cathedral. There is a small dress hire shop in the front unit but the warehouse area at the back is vacant.

westgolf wrote: »
    Porters was formerly a distribution centre for a news paper contract. Its half way up Dominick on the right as you look from Monroe's towards the cathedral. There is a small dress hire shop in the front unit but the warehouse area at the back is vacant.

Ah that's very interesting. Maybe this particular Porters business entity that once operated a former distribution centre in Galway were also associated with "J.R. Porter Ltd." who operate a chain of newsagent retail outlets in various locations across Ireland & UK. I know that two former Porter's newsagent branches in Cork were subsequently sold to competitor firm, Eason's back in 2014 (at Wilton Shopping Centre & Douglas Court Shopping Centre) although; Porter's have at least two other outlets still operating in Cork city centre on Patrick Street and Paul Street Shopping Centre.

I wonder do Porters have any retail branches operating anywhere in the Galway region given that their distribution centre closed or perhaps it moved elsewhere? Porters carried quite an extensive line of newspapers & magazines in addition to greeting cards, books, confectionery, toys, ice cream etc; I cannot recall spotting any Porter newsagent shops in Galway City over the last 22yrs unless perhaps they've had branches operating in shopping centres based outside of Galway city centre or in rural areas of County Galway?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Thank you for your positive feedback. If I was based in Galway and if I had significant spare funds available it would be worth consideration. However; a chain of events since '09 has meant that I am not in any financial position to invest in such a project much as I would like. I reckon if the former Nimmos Hostel and former butcher's unit underneath were put up for sale, it may attract major interest from domestic and/or overseas investors. This location is unique for a hostel & coffee shop business as there are no other hostels in Galway City's West End to my knowledge. Close to popular venues like Monroe's and Roisín Dubh's should not make it unsuitable as this can be a plus provided the building has new triple-glazed windows installed throughout as they would be required given that the existing windows fittings are no longer fit for purpose anyway. I remember some years ago, the coffee shop Java's on Upper Abbeygate Street used remain open until about 04:00am some nights and customers had the option of playing board games which gave an alternative to the pub if someone was a night owl but did not necessarily want to be drinking alcohol every time they were out in town? Perhaps a coffee bar with food with late opening hours might work if it is managed differently but it would require some "thinking outside the box".

Nimmo's Hostel premises has been in a rundown state for about 30+ years despite some refurbishment works carried out in recent years. If another programme of improvements was put in place on a phased basis by a new owner/management company it could be brought back up to a satisfactory standard and would also lift the morale of employees. Perhaps a budget/economy model for dormitory guests and have other revenue raising measures like higher tier charges for private room accommodation, coffee/juice/ice cream novelty bar on ground floor in part of old butcher outlet, vending machines with drinks/confectionery in hostel, hostel act as tour ticketing agent, laundry charges, secure storage for valuables for nominal fee, towel hire, bicycle hire agent etc; ticket agent for Monroe's & Roisín Dubh special acts etc;

Francis & John Brennan off the RTÉ broadcast series "At Your Service" would probably have similar suggestions/recommendations based on what they proposed for other hostels needing help in Ireland.

http://www.nimmoshostel.com

Is Nimmos up for sale or likely to be ??!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Ah that's very interesting. Maybe this particular Porters business entity that once operated a former distribution centre in Galway were also associated with "J.R. Porter Ltd." who operate a chain of newsagent retail outlets in various locations across Ireland & UK. I know that two former Porter's newsagent branches in Cork were subsequently sold to competitor firm, Eason's back in 2014 (at Wilton Shopping Centre & Douglas Court Shopping Centre) although; Porter's have at least two other outlets still operating in Cork city centre on Patrick Street and Paul Street Shopping Centre.

I wonder do Porters have any retail branches operating anywhere in the Galway region given that their distribution centre closed or perhaps it moved elsewhere? Porters carried quite an extensive line of newspapers & magazines in addition to greeting cards, books, confectionery, toys, ice cream etc; I cannot recall spotting any Porter newsagent shops in Galway City over the last 22yrs unless perhaps they've had branches operating in shopping centres based outside of Galway city centre or in rural areas of County Galway?

This part of the family was just in the wholesale and distribution side. The shop was kinda cards n gifts cum office supplies. They moved the distribution base out to monivea road in the late 80's or early 90's and were then bought out by newspread who were building a national network by buying up local firms who had locally based contracts.

Is Nimmos up for sale or likely to be ??!

I've not been to Galway city since October so; I've absolutely no idea if it is up for sale or; if it is likely to be put on the market any time soon. My impression is that the responsibility of managing Nimmo's hostel had passed on to the next generation in the family but there was little or no enthusiasm to drive it forward for some reason which is probably why it eventually closed altogether.

Nimmo's Hostel had looked promising a few years ago when they decided to update the kitchen/the dining area/the bathrooms in addition to replacing flooring & bunk beds in some of the dormitory bedrooms although; after a short while the updated kitchen units+cupboards/utensils/ware all began to get grotty and untidy again and I won't even mention the refrigerators or refuse waste bins or the chilly draught from the windows that would not close properly! There was no TV set/DVD player or things like books or games evident for hostel guests following the partial refurbishment of facilities. The only relaxation area for guests was the lounge which was attached to the kitchen - Before the refurbishments there had been a separate sitting room with TV but this room seemed to be off-limits to guests after the minor revamp although; I did get a chance to check it out when the door was open one day however; it was no longer suitable for guest use as it needed to be completely re-decorated.

Galway could do with more Hotels, more Tourist Hostels, more B+Bs, more Guesthouses, more Caravan & Camping facilities etc; if it is to take advantage of growth however; if accommodation types like hostels close down permanently or; are sold for a different purpose other than to provide accommodation then it is not good for developing tourism which will also have a negative knock-on effect for local businesses in the city. With Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture now just 13 months away there should be sufficient accommodation provided if there is an additional influx of tourists visiting the city to attend and experience the cultural events that are planned.

I was only reading a Failte Ireland report last night and it mentions that cities such as Galway and Kilkenny need additional accommodation in the next few years as there is a shortage of hotel bedroom stock which means there will be more pressure on other accommodation types too in the form of: Bed & Breakfasts, Guesthouses, Hostels, Self-Catering etc;

IMHO if the former Nimmo's Hostel was to be completely revamped and brought up to the level of standard expected of a Tourist/Backpacker Hostel as it is located in a very popular city that already attracts a significant number of tourists from overseas as Galway continues to be a major resting point along the "Wild Atlantic Way" experience. Galway needs more hotel beds for high season which means when they are full or at premium rates, visitors may also be inclined to consider other forms of accommodation like Hostels in order to spend quality time in the City of the Tribes! Given that the hostel has now been closed for a prolonged period it might also be seriously worth considering a change of hostel name and branding if a major revamp is done and have all sales & marketing updated to promote the updated facilities/location address/telephone/e-mail/website/social media contacts etc;

Reference Sources:

https://www.hostelz.com/hostel/26733-Nimmos-Hostel

https://www.hospitalityireland.com/failte-ireland-calls-investment-hotels-across-key-cities/68162

https://www.hospitalityireland.com/into-the-west-a-report-on-galways-hospitality-sector/23290

https://www.hospitalityireland.com/overseas-visitor-numbers-ireland-grow-7-1/68128

https://www.hospitalityireland.com/irelands-barnacles-hostels-sold-e12m/67769

Advertisement