Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian RPG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

I'm finding it slow personally, I'm only level 5 and on the first planet.
    Still in the Edgewater area?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Evade wrote: »
    Still in the Edgewater area?

That's the one ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

That's the one ya.
    Once you manage to leave you might see why I think you level up pretty quickly.

I accidentally took a flaw that makes my main afraid of one of my usual companions which reduces some stats when he's around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Glebee

Really liking it so far, still in Edgewater but so far so good.
    One thing thats bugging me is the map layout not showing all quest locations at the same time. Bugs me that you have to switch bettween quests to see where they are on the map.. Maybe I have an option turned off but dont see any.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

noodler wrote: »
    So if I love fallout, and particularly wished 3/4 had been more like New Vegas, then this might be for me?

The narrative and scripting is very like New Vegas, but the game itself is more like a meeting point between a Bioshock and Fallout title. It's not nearly as big or as open a single world, instead being a load of interconnected small (but reasonably populated) maps.

It's also extremely polished, has mountains of dialogue, loads of decent side quests and is fairly bug free, and mechanically plays very much like a Fallout game. I think the balance it strikes is incredible, it's a real 10/10 game for me after 7 hours gameplay (and still only 'completed' one location so far out of a fair whack of them).

I almost feel bad that it's only costing me a euro through Gamepass.

• Advertisement

Just finished up in Edgewater and moving on now. Think I got a decent outcome with 100% with both factions. Convinced
    Reed to leave peacefully

Level 8 now, think I'll take the perk that lets you fast travel while encumbered. Concussion is a pain in the arse and being only able sleep in your own bed makes it a chore to have to walk back to the ship when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I'm about 2 hours in now. I thought it was a bit slow at first, but the quests are starting to get interesting now, reminding me of Fallout New Vegas with serious Bioshock feel. I think I'll enjoy it.

I'm still on the 3 free months of the Xbox Pass for PC I got with an AMD cpu upgrade. With Gears 5 & now this I've gotten serious value out of the free 3 months thus far. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I've only played about 40 mins and have high hopes for the gameplay later but I'm not impressed on the tech side. The graphic options are childishly aggregated and coarse grained leaving the why-in-hell-do-developers-keep-putting-it-in-when-everyone-hates-it chromatic abberation tied to options you might want to keep. Ditto for a lack of mouse acceleration options (another that I do not understand why so many idiot devs keep putting in as default, do they really only play with controllers?). I disabled both via INI files but after disabling CA and anti-aliasing it looks like they were left on to mask the horrendous reflection model, it really looks horrible with bright white reflections off tree leaves half a mile away. Also the LOD scaling is childishly bad, within 20 feet models and textures update in a distractingly obvious way (on ultra). Last up since folks are talking about a lack of bugs certain keys can be succesfully mapped in the controls section but don't actually work in game, not as bad as an all out crash but not what I'd expect from these devs.
    I don't doubt from their history and the comments here the base game will be good fun but I just don't see why this is constantly being regarded as a bug free and optimised title when to me it's at best mediocre on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I'm having a lot of fun so far and have only run into 2 bugs so far. Unfortunately they result in a fresh to desktop.

I've found one room in the botanical lab/area that crashes if I go into the same corner as a container. I can walk around the rest of the room just fine but there's something wrong in that one corner, so I'm assuming it's related to the container. I've been trying to use fixes other people have had success with no luck so far.

The second crash to desktop was in between two buildings in the North West of the starting area. I've not gone back there yet so I'm not sure if it's a repeatable crash.

I have read that these crash to desktop issues are only on the Game Pass version and that a reinstalled might fox it.

The chromatic aberration can be turned off via an .ini file edit so at least it can be done that way at least. There really should be more options for the PC release though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Checked HLTB and was pleasantly surprised. 20 hours for completionists. I was expecting 100+ hours.

• Advertisement

I'm finding the framerate tanks every now again and that's even with a 1080Ti.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Checked HLTB and was pleasantly surprised. 20 hours for completionists. I was expecting 100+ hours.

For all achievements you'd need to be starting on supernova to get away with doing it in one run, I've 8 hours so far and only left Edge Water, the lack of fast travel really adds to the time. Also one requires you to do something that I'm sure can only be done if you have access to the dumb dialogue options though you might be able to repec for that one??

After you leave Edge Water it's worth stopping in with Phineas before moving on there is some decent stuff to be had there including
    a shrink ray
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Plasma Sword >>> everything else.

Find one in the geo thermal plant and it 2 hits robots with little points spent in Melee.

There appears to be a
    herd of cows
    on board my ship :confused:

Likely a reference to something I don't know.

• For all achievements you'd need to be starting on supernova to get away with doing it in one run, I've 8 hours so far and only left Edge Water, the lack of fast travel really adds to the time. Also one requires you to do something that I'm sure can only be done if you have access to the dumb dialogue options though you might be able to repec for that one??

What you mean lack of fast travel?
    I've been using it in Edgewater the whole time

• I'm finding the framerate tanks every now again and that's even with a 1080Ti.

Turn shadows to medium
    And pull draw distance back a touch
    Lock your frames to 60fps
    Everything else can stay high / very high

What you mean lack of fast travel?
    I've been using it in Edgewater the whole time

You can only fast travel to the the ship on supernova difficulty.

• You can only fast travel to the the ship on supernova difficulty.

I've been playing on hard
    Nevermind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

hitemfrank wrote: »
    I'm having a lot of fun so far and have only run into 2 bugs so far. Unfortunately they result in a fresh to desktop.

I've found one room in the botanical lab/area that crashes if I go into the same corner as a container. I can walk around the rest of the room just fine but there's something wrong in that one corner, so I'm assuming it's related to the container. I've been trying to use fixes other people have had success with no luck so far.

The second crash to desktop was in between two buildings in the North West of the starting area. I've not gone back there yet so I'm not sure if it's a repeatable crash.

I have read that these crash to desktop issues are only on the Game Pass version and that a reinstalled might fox it.

The chromatic aberration can be turned off via an .ini file edit so at least it can be done that way at least. There really should be more options for the PC release though.

So the crashes I'm having are related to the first install. I installed it on my laptop and no crashes at all.

It's annoying there is no verify game files on the Xbox app like there is on Steam.

• Advertisement

Anyone kill a mission giver by mistake?

I like that it can happen but it bothers me I may have missed a cool reward.

Weapons are terrible in the game other than the sword I have found nothing that does a reasonable amount of damage. Im on Monarch atm fight strategy is headshot with sniper then walk backwards with revolver and spam Companion attacks.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Anyone kill a mission giver by mistake?

I like that it can happen but it bothers me I may have missed a cool reward.

Weapons are terrible in the game other than the sword I have found nothing that does a reasonable amount of damage. Im on Monarch atm fight strategy is headshot with sniper then walk backwards with revolver and spam Companion attacks.

I had a near miss with Zoe I think her name was. Theres a bounty mission that you have to collect
    fingers
    for on the first plant and she's there close to one of the targets only I spotted she was named and I didn't recall a mission with her name mentioned or I'd have killed her.

Weapons???? You unlocked tinker at the workbench and have mods installed ??? I get the feleing that you are supposed to upgrade rather than find better guns, I've seen a few uniques but for the most part weapons seem generic loot until you mod and tinker with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Prismatic Hammer is a beast of a yolk. Charged swing does serious damage :)

Upgraded a few guns but they still lack ......boom? Sometimes I can oneshot an outlaw with the sniper and sometimes I cant. Altho similar to NV combat is not great but I didnt get the game for combat and putting random outlaws and rapts on the road to wherever I am going is annoying.

Killed 2 mission givers on Roseway, 1st was I assumed the room was full of outlaws and started swinging widly. It wasnt :D Second was I left one of the labs via different door and there was someone with their back to me (
    assuming it O Malleys buddy
    ) ded now.
    O Malley also ded

Really enjoying the game other than the combat went with engineering/dialogue as my main perks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Weapons???? You unlocked tinker at the workbench and have mods installed ??? I get the feleing that you are supposed to upgrade rather than find better guns, I've seen a few uniques but for the most part weapons seem generic loot until you mod and tinker with them.

It's a bit of both. Tinkering with a weapon boost's it's dps bigtime but can get expensive. There are higher level versions of each weapon in the game and around level 16'ish I found versions with double the damage of the previous tier.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Upgraded a few guns but they still lack ......boom? Sometimes I can oneshot an outlaw with the sniper and sometimes I cant. Altho similar to NV combat is not great but I didnt get the game for combat and putting random outlaws and rapts on the road to wherever I am going is annoying.

If you look at the damage numbers when you shoot mobs it will you an idea on how the weapon is performing as some effects do better against different enemy types. Also, it the numbers are floating down instead of up, it's the game telling you to pick a different damage type.

Venom wrote: »
    It's a bit of both. Tinkering with a weapon boost's it's dps bigtime but can get expensive. There are higher level versions of each weapon in the game and around level 16'ish I found versions with double the damage of the previous tier.

Yeah you have juggle it in terms of cost, I can spend 3k to upgrade this hand gun or I can shoot something and get a level X gun that will be 10% the cost to upgrade once. I find once it costs 000's it's time to stop upgrading.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Great game, must say I'm really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Thinking I might respec Captain Tones. Have a load of points thrown into ranged weapons and also melee, which I'm guessing is contradictory. Might lob a load into Tech and Science seeing as I'm basically running around now lashing Marauders in the nut with a Science Hammer all the time. I'm thinking Tech and Dialogue so if I can't talk my way out of a pickle then its science hammer time and the lashings will commence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Only learnt I can use equipment up to 5 levels higher... been just upgrading gear to my level... /derp :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Went to Monarch at level 10, easy to clear the main area around the landing pad but can't kill those Mantiqueens guarding the path through to the open section, bleh. Thought I might be able to build up XP killing high-level monsters there and walking to Stellar Bay overland.

Their health seems to regenerate as well. Had both down to about 60 percent, but broke off the engagement, came back 30 seconds later when I had healed up and both were back to 100 percent.

Advertisement