Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian RPG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

I'll hold off investing too much into anything not ultra so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Thinking more on it maybe shock wasn't what made it easier for me. Maybe it was just levelling up. I think the companions were just commenting on the way the queen closes it's arms and blocks most damage. One thing I am fairly sure is aim for her belly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Actually that would be useful - does anyone have a list of "weakpoints"? I understand they are different for each mob.

Fairly sure head is weakpoint for humans, though ofc they can be wearing high armour value helmets.

I agree belly seems weakpoint for mantiqueens

No idea for raptidons- maybe it is head when jaws are open wide?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Only other one I spotted was the green square on the mechs in the belly area too. I also can't seem to figure out how to get the info. pop-up on enemies. It has popped up sometimes but other times won't. Is it dependent on how close you are to them?

I wasted the one N-Ray mod I found really early in the game it was great for wildlife or anything that comes at you in a close group. I know I can buy another but 6-8k for one is out of my budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm torn on getting this. I recently played Borderlands 3 and couldn't get into it. I loved Fallout 3 and to a lesser extent New Vegas. 4 was boring bollox. I love Firefly and Mass Effect which I see get thrown around taking about this.

Is it worth a punt? I love a good space drama/comedy of the story/characters can get me invested in their world. I'm just worried if it's like BL3, i won't last very long with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'm torn on getting this. I recently played Borderlands 3 and couldn't get into it. I loved Fallout 3 and to a lesser extent New Vegas. 4 was boring bollox. I love Firefly and Mass Effect which I see get thrown around taking about this.

Is it worth a punt? I love a good space drama/comedy of the story/characters can get me invested in their world. I'm just worried if it's like BL3, i won't last very long with it.

It's totally worth getting dude :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Whats the story with consumables like bottles of pop and other things you pick up? Are they just trash to sell? I noticed some offer minor buffs but haven't bothered using any as it only lasts seconds. Playing on Normal and haven't bothered using mods or tinkering yet which probably means its too easy. Only thing I've had issue with is a Mantiqueen.

It's nothing like Borderlands imo and I have played all bar 3 (how much for a game pass did you say?) and enjoyed them all although I will never understand why people want to 'farm' to 'farm'. Strange loop.

I'm thoroughly enjoying The Outer Worlds but I do think people are going a bit overboard about it. It's a solid game but I think Obsidian played it relatively safe. I think it was the right decision though because they need to establish this as a franchise they can build on and I would be expecting more interesting ideas in a possible sequel. It's quite an achievement in many ways for such a small team.

If you like shooting, questing and good writing with some choice and consequences then you can't really go wrong. It has similarities to Fallout but it differs in many ways. It's not a big world with random areas with their own self-contained stories to find. So far quests have sent me to almost every part of an area. There is a little bit of exploring to find minor little caves and loot but nothing hugely significant so far.

It is more reminiscent of a first person mass effect to me really. I'm not finished yet so I can't speak to how satisfying the end game might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

skerry wrote: »
    Whats the story with consumables like bottles of pop and other things you pick up? Are they just trash to sell? I noticed some offer minor buffs but haven't bothered using any as it only lasts seconds. Playing on Normal and haven't bothered using mods or tinkering yet which probably means its too easy. Only thing I've had issue with is a Mantiqueen.
    You need to eat and drink on supernova difficulty, apart from that just minor buffs

• Advertisement

mewso wrote: »
    It's nothing like Borderlands imo .....

It is more reminiscent of a first person mass effect to me really.

Alright, i gotta try this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

skerry wrote: »

You equip them to your health pack, can have up to 4 or even 5 I think. So all buffs at same time. Great at popping just before fighting a mega or ultra

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Level 14 , companion abilities are awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The melee weapons are great fun..... Also hilarious.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Zero-Cool wrote: »

If you are on the Xbox, the answer is easy if you have the game pass as it is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

If you are on the Xbox, the answer is easy if you have the game pass as it is free.

or on PC buy the game pass for $1.99 per month (no contract term) and it is included.

On ps4 so gamepass is not an option. Was in stock in both Smyths and Gamestop yesterday but out of stock this morning. Argos needs to be ordered in for next week. Harvey Normans of all places seems to be my last hope for a physical copy...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Level 14 , companion abilities are awesome.

I'm level 16 and still have no idea how to use them.

Harvey Normans to the rescue with the last copy. Looking forward to getting stuck in!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I completed it last night, multiple endings in it, choices matter from early on.

Wont spoil it but Loads of Room for sequel/s.

Was so enjoyable i started a new game,

It's got 30hours or so of questing and exploring.

The companions combat abilities make them incredibly useful.
    Skill tree and perks are properly done, even at a lesser level for companions.
    The science weapons are hilarious, thoroughly recommend spending points and perks in them, or at least equip them on your companions.

brilliant, loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Mickeroo wrote: »

hit left or right on the d-pad, you need to have your leadership stat to (i think 20?) before these are available to you though.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

hit left or right on the d-pad, you need to have your leadership stat to (i think 20?) before these are available to you though.

Ah that's the problem, Leadership stat is too low. I can see the symbols for the abilities on screen but they're always greyed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

top tip - I must not have been listening to gladys properly on the groundbreaker, but when I went to the next area (roseway) i didnt realise that you didnt have to complete the side quests - as in, you dont have to handover the items you get to the sidequest givers. I ended up back on the ship, with nothing to give gladys apart from an account of my actions! luckily, I had the credits to buy the navkey, but a bit annoyed i didnt cop my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

With a controller they are on he dpad and on PC they are C or V.

There is a graphic in the bottom left of the screen that shows the buttons they are on.

Just point at an enemy and press the button.

top tip - I must not have been listening to gladys properly on the groundbreaker, but when I went to the next area (roseway) i didnt realise that you didnt have to complete the side quests - as in, you dont have to handover the items you get to the sidequest givers. I ended up back on the ship, with nothing to give gladys apart from an account of my actions! luckily, I had the credits to buy the navkey, but a bit annoyed i didnt cop my mistake.

Did the exact same thing. Had the bits to cover it so was ok. You'd have to do a bit of grinding if you were low on funds otherwise.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    With a controller they are on he dpad and on PC they are C or V.

There is a graphic in the bottom left of the screen that shows the buttons they are on.

Just point at an enemy and press the button.

Yeah they're always greyed out on mine, hadn't realised they were tied to the leadership skills like Stone said (haven't been levelling those at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

mewso wrote: »
    Bit of trivia - Parvati is played by the same voice actor that plays Tiny Tina.

And Aloy in Horizon:Zero Dawn - in case that was wrecking anyone else's head!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Yeah they're always greyed out on mine, hadn't realised they were tied to the leadership skills like Stone said (haven't been levelling those at all).

Getting your leadership up to level 20 is probley the best use of skill points in the game, as those companions attack abilities are crazy overpowered.

Cina wrote: »
    And Aloy in Horizon:Zero Dawn - in case that was wrecking anyone else's head!

Ashly Burch who also plays Chloe in Life is Strange, feeling she'll be a go-to companion for me!

• Advertisement

Been with me from the start, very likeable character. In fact the companions over all are very good. I love the vicars line when you use his special.

Advertisement