Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian RPG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

dreamers75 wrote: »
    if your speech is above 70 you can get the shroud when talking to the landing dude.
    It worked fine until I got to a certain room where it doesn't work.

If it's the guy I'm thinking of
    head of the board
    you don't really need to pass the speech check with him as far as I recall but my decisions may have a part in that I had high rep with them and was allowed to proceed.

If on super nova you can try whats next but I had to redo the section after reloading and re-specing. Just couldn't get it done in 4 or 5 attempts so went the speech check route, theres more than just persuasion needed though just can't recall what else, though whats next for you will also depend on some choices earlier on so you might have an easier time of it than I did. I had to
    Sophia and wasn't able to get her killed before adds showed up and destroyed me

I'm stuck on
    the robot you have to fight after talking to he woman who's really in charge of the board on a monitor. If he was alone it'd be a breeze but the drones keep catching me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Evade wrote: »
    I'm stuck on
    the robot you have to fight after talking to he woman who's really in charge of the board on a monitor. If he was alone it'd be a breeze but the drones keep catching me.
    It'sNotTheBestChoiceIt'sNotTheBestChoiceIt'sNotTheBestChoiceIt'sNotTheBestChoiceIt'sNotTheBestChoice .. yeah, the mindcontrol science weapon, make that bot fight for you! Use your companion skills when you're reloading or taking hits

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

It'sNotTheBestChoiceIt'sNotTheBestChoiceIt'sNotTheBestChoiceIt'sNotTheBestChoiceIt'sNotTheBestChoice .. yeah, the mindcontrol science weapon, make that bot fight for you! Use your companion skills when you're reloading or taking hits
    That or just get the prismatic hammer and upgrade it, 50K hits lol

• Advertisement

I didn't think of that, I hardly used the science weapons. I'm not using companions.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm stuck on

You don't have to fight that
    if you hack the terminal before you enter the room it's in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

^^^

Anyone who dislikes this game read the last 5 comments on the end, so many options so many different opinions.

GOTY for me, even at a paltry 30 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Have Death Stranding preordered for Friday. Am so tempted to put the credit to this instead as it looks a lot more interesting and theres more going on than essentially traversing.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You don't have to fight that
    if you hack the terminal before you enter the room it's in.
    Thanks for the tip. I respecced to move a few points from sneak into hack, no need for sneak when everyone's dead.

EDIT: Supernova complete.

• Advertisement

I restarted to get the last few trophies and made a character with below average intelligence which unlocks some pretty funny dialogue options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

This game is longer than I expected. I'm 26 hours in and only got to Byzantium so I assume I still have some to go. Still haven't done Scylla and haven't finished any of the companion quests, and there looks to be a few Byzantium quests that throw you around all the planets, which I imagine would be irritating on a console but isn't so bad with an NVMe drive!

I assume I still have a good 5 or 6 hours left?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cina wrote: »
    This game is longer than I expected. I'm 26 hours in and only got to Byzantium so I assume I still have some to go. Still haven't done Scylla and haven't finished any of the companion quests, and there looks to be a few Byzantium quests that throw you around all the planets, which I imagine would be irritating on a console but isn't so bad with an NVMe drive!

I assume I still have a good 5 or 6 hours left?

At most. There's not a whole lot of side quests in Byzantium and Scylla is tiny.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    At most. There's not a whole lot of side quests in Byzantium and Scylla is tiny.

Good, because I'm going away for three weeks tomorrow and it'd really annoy me to not finish it :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im definitely planning to play this, just wondering is it a long game or a short lived one?
    Is there much scope for builds and replayability?

Dcully wrote: »
    Im definitely planning to play this, just wondering is it a long game or a short lived one?
    Is there much scope for builds and replayability?

I wouldn't be rushing to play it again straight away but I definitely will at some point. There are different builds and different choices you can make through the game. You can play as a good guy, bad guy, middle guy or a complete idiot!

Just get it, if you enjoyed Fallout 3/NV and the Mass Effect games you'll enjoy this as it's pretty much a mix of the two.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ill play it on game pass, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭amusicalfrog

Just started this on Game Pass. Seems like it'll be decent fun but - and I realise that this seems nitpicky - I hate how static the world is. Not having random objects around the world with working physics is a real immersion breaker. On top of that, characters seem to be fairly glued to where they are, with only a few wandering around. World just doesn't really feel as 'lived in' as other games of this ilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Someone completed it without killing anyone (technically wasnt possible used the mind control gun on Chairman)

https://www.polygon.com/2019/11/8/20954992/the-outer-worlds-pacifism-supernova-kill-everyone-obsidian

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Just started this on Game Pass. Seems like it'll be decent fun but - and I realise that this seems nitpicky - I hate how static the world is. Not having random objects around the world with working physics is a real immersion breaker. On top of that, characters seem to be fairly glued to where they are, with only a few wandering around. World just doesn't really feel as 'lived in' as other games of this ilk.

Agree completely. I think I'm about halfway through and have enjoyed it so far but it's lacking dynamics. What's there is well made and fun, but very limited, which is odd for a title that is so derivative of their (and to be fair to Fallout3 Bethesda's) previous work. It's Fallout-x Light. 20-40 hours of well structured and impeccably written RPG is no bad thing, but I can't help comparing it to the best of it's predecessors and feeling that a lot is missing.

• Advertisement

I've come to the conclusion that the game entirely lacks depth when it comes to the RPG side of things. Remove all loot except guns and it would be the exact same game for me.

I've never eaten or drank anything. I don't upgrade weapons or tinker with them. The only thing I do is repair them. I don't tell my companions to go anywhere with the D-pad. I don't really care about any perk except more carry weight. This is on the hard setting and I'm 18 hours in.

Needing to expend those hacking / safe-breaking things breaks immersion for me a bit as well because it doesn't make any sense in our world.

"You need to use five of these huge torch-like objects to hack a communications terminal." What. I put all these points into those skills at the start and still need to find loot to use them. Companions buffing your skills is also a bit bizarre. You hack the terminal or break into something in five seconds.. There clearly isn't any way that the vicar is helping me do this.

The biggest mistake they made gameplay-wise was assigning the D-pad to companions instead of consumables like the Witcher 3. Even then the game needs to be more difficult for either of them to really matter. The second biggest mistake was not having any way to kill enemies silently from behind. I have a sneak skill but can't strangle?

It's still fun, though. It doesn't sound like it from what I wrote above but it is an enjoyable game to play. It's just not a real RPG to me. It's like Assassin's Creed with a tonne of useless loot and way better characters and dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The second biggest mistake was not having any way to kill enemies silently from behind. I have a sneak skill but can't strangle?

Put a silencer on something that hits hard and you can stealth kill no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Just got this lads. I’m wondering why you were left floating in space and also why the fugitive fella woke you. Does this become obvious later?

Just got this lads. I’m wondering why you were left floating in space and also why the fugitive fella woke you. Does this become obvious later?
    Your colony ship didn't make it to the star system and was only just found. The reason you're revived is revealed later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Your colony ship didn't make it to the star system and was only just found. The reason you're revived is revealed later.

Thanks! I thought they knew were it was but just weren’t bothered saving the colonists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Finished it this evening, enjoyed it from start to finish, although I'd be lying if I said that it wasn't just a bit repetitive towards the end, likely from the fact that I was totally OP, and was essentially fast travelling from point a to b to talk or murder my way to a solution. I reckon did most of the side quest, definitely did all the companion ones. Like the ending and the narrated summary you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Spoilers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Finished this last week. Enjoyable.

I agree with a previous poster re RPG elements - I never ate anything or took any drugs either. I did fit some stuff into my inhaler i suppose, so i was consuming some stuff without noticing.

I played it on xbox pass, so now deciding what to do with teh rest of the month on that pass. Currently playing "moonlighter" which is a sort of 8 bit dungeon crawler, where you run a shop during the day to sell the loot you gather in a dungeon each night. PRetty goo tbh.

any other suggestions for something worth trying on teh xbox pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm still only in the early hours of the game (just finished Edgewater). Haven't gotten too deep into the RPG elements, but watched a few tips & tricks videos that seem to help with that. Enjoying it, although the lack of a stealth kill option is a pain in the jacksie unless I'm missing something there.

There's a bit of music that keeps playing though and all I can think of is Firefly. I mean if it wasn't for the aliens and robots, this could almost legitimately be a Firefly game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Penn wrote: »
    I'm still only in the early hours of the game (just finished Edgewater). Haven't gotten too deep into the RPG elements, but watched a few tips & tricks videos that seem to help with that. Enjoying it, although the lack of a stealth kill option is a pain in the jacksie unless I'm missing something there.

There's a bit of music that keeps playing though and all I can think of is Firefly. I mean if it wasn't for the aliens and robots, this could almost legitimately be a Firefly game.

Theres no stealth kill as such, but you do get a damage boost to a sneak attack, and if your damage output is high enough, you'll get one hit kills. In fairness, thats probably a bit more practical than a gamebreaking attack - I've played similar games and spent hours crouchwalking slowly everywhere to abuse that mechanic.

Advertisement