Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian RPG

Options

Comments

You have a PC capable of running it then why not go the game pass route and pay buttons to play it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

But with the 4 Euro subscription you can pick an choose from an entire library.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I usually play as more or less lawful good in these games for the first playthrough but the dialogue is too good not to be an arsehole first time around so that's what I'm going to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

Has anyone here beaten the game on Supernova difficulty? I heard it's tough...
    It's easy enough with a sneaky sniper build.

I'm assuming you've beaten it on that difficulty then?
    I have.

• Advertisement

Has anyone here beaten the game on Supernova difficulty? I heard it's tough...

Did my first playthrough on Supernova. Tough starting out but once you leave the first area and keep on top of your gear it's fine. More annoying than anything else given the lack of fast travel, like when you get crippled or concussed and have to limp back to the ship to sleep.

I did a trophy mop up on run an easier difficulty and found the always on fast travel made the game pretty boring. Though the 2 handed melee/speech/idiot was more entertaining to play than my Supernova run genius sniper.

Yeah I got a kick out of that dev commentary video.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

One thing I do appreciate about this game is the way it handles enemy spawning. Sometimes you'll clear out an area where a quest takes place but you don't have the required tools to complete it. If you come back later with those tools the enemies don't respawn, you simply pick up where you left off.

Borderlands 3 was the pits for respawning. The previous Borderlands games they only respawned if you left the area and came back. Borderlands 3 I often back tracked to a vending machine and enemies would have respawned in the same level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

So I'd say I've put in enough time to properly form an overall opinion so far.
    For me, the game's biggest strength is the the fact that it's possible to be a goody two shoes and resolve things peacefully without any bloodshed if you spec your character right. I don't think I've ever had to kill any enemy that could not have been persuaded with the exception of that
    creepy family (which btw is ripped right out of Fallout 3)
    . I feel a lot of games these days have the misguided approach that every single choice needs to have the lesser of two evils in order to feel mature. It's nice to walk away from a decision feeling like a hero. Plus I really like most of the characters so it would have pained me to kill some of them.

The only thing I dislike is that once you reach Monarch the game takes on too many side quests for its own good, to the point where you'll find yourself backtracking to the same locations over and over over because the world isn't big enough to contain all of them. Nyoka's companion quest has a beautiful payoff but up to that point it's backtracking through loading screens reminds me of the last act of Prey. There's also too much menu fiddling, mainly because of weapon degradation system. This is the sort of game where you'll have to play it in long stretches in order to get anything done.

Still enjoying it but I'm ready for it to end tbh.

My impression down to a T. I still haven't finished it - I'm at the beginning of the final part on Tartarus, but the game doesn't "suck me in" like others in the genre have. As I said before, I've made the "mistake" of being a completionist - I've literally closed off all of the side quests it threw at me, which as you say involves a LOT of going back and forth, loading screens and super-tedious "go there, fetch McGuffin again" situations.

The best thing about the game is the characterization of its world's "pop culture", close enough to the 196o-esque decadence of Fallout in general terms, but unique enough to stand on its own. The main "space corporations being evil" thing gets old fairly fast.

Hopefully I'll finally finish it this week end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

For me, the game's biggest strength is the the fact that it's possible to be a goody two shoes and resolve things peacefully without any bloodshed if you spec your character right. I don't think I've ever had to kill any enemy that could not have been persuaded with the exception of that
    creepy family (which btw is ripped right out of Fallout 3)

Hmm that's what I really wanted from the game, but I found 80% of it involved being sent to locations filled with raiders who attacked on sight, so avoiding bloodshed was practically impossible in my experience. The game did get better nearer the end, but Monarch in particular was just a consistent stream of things you had to shoot to progress with no alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I don't get the appeal of Parvati or why her character seems to have resonated so much with the gaming press? fair enough her nervousness is somewhat endearing, as is her side quest, but I don't see what all the fuss is about?

Vicar Max and Ellie were much more fun to be around IMO, and even then, I spent a good bit of time with Sam as well. Felix and Nyoka were the only two that I rarely used outside of doing their sidequests.

I don't get the appeal of Parvati or why her character seems to have resonated so much with the gaming press? fair enough her nervousness is somewhat endearing, as is her side quest, but I don't see what all the fuss is about?
    One of her writers said she was asexual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Evade wrote: »
    One of her writers said she was asexual.

fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I guess parvati is quite a positive character and her companion quest is a bit more than go here, kill people there. Tbh i found all the companions pretty shallow compared to say Mass Effect.

Couldn't give two monkeys about her sexuality
    Me neither I was just answering why she was hyped up so much.

I just like her because she's a cool character *shrugs*
    Couldn't give two monkeys about her sexuality. She always tends to stay on the path of good and whenever I have a moral crisis I consult her first.

It's funny because I think the makers expected Ellie to be the star companion given how overpromoted she was prior to launch. Ellie's cool too and has some great perks but rather cliched. Her companion quest was fun but definitely the least under-thought unless there's more to it?

For Ellie there is more to her quest in Byzantium if you haven't already done it?

Jesus that was short.

Not a fan. Some of the weapons were fun but didn't get a feel for the worlds, the enemies, the characters and seemed to spend half the time transitioning through a door.

I typically like a game with a really good story and this didn't seem to have one for me, felt more like Doom might feel but I would guess Doom is better. Typically not the type of game I would go for but the strongest thing I've taken from the Outer Worlds is the desire to play Doom!

Yeah I got that there was a lot more to do in side missions, for one reason or another I didn't feel inclined to do them. Just didn't love the world(s)

Can't love them all

Advertisement