Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian RPG

Options

Comments

Yeah theres not much left to it after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

I'm going for platinum now and so far I've been able to get the trophies without having to replay any long stretches of gam. However, I think my luck has ended because two of the trophies I have left require me to go back virtually to the opening hours and play all the way to the end - and I'm not talking about the Supernova difficulty!
    Is it the
    into the sun
    ending? If you watch the 12 minute speedrun posted earlier in the thread you can get that pretty quickly.

There were 2 achievements / trophies maybe 3 that you couldn't get if going for others meaning you have to play it twice. I think it took me about 90 minutes on easy to get them on a second run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

I played on supernova and Parvatti died before I finished her quest so I had to do quite a bit to get all the companion quests done in my clean up run.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Got the platinum.

btw that 12 minute speedrun where you
    shoot the Hope into the Sun
    doesn't count as completing the game so if you try to get Supernova with it the trophy won't pop.

Supernova isn't too bad if you just talk your way out of everything and spec into sneak and lockpick. At least it has save points at doors, even though the loading is annoying. Unlike Shadow of the Tomb Raider's Deadly Obsession which is borderline permadeath mode.

How long was your supernova run?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

About an 1 hour, I think? I mostly just ran past everything and/or stole quest items. Also, agreeing to turn Phineas in early on speeds up the game significantly.

1 Hour serious? :eek: I'm guessing you ignored all side stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

1 Hour serious? :eek: I'm guessing you ignored all side stuff?

He just wanted the Trophie. He already played through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Just finished outer worlds for the first time . I found it to be abit of a letdown .
    I went into the game blind but I thought the game would be more like New Vegas but ended up feeling more like borderlands .

I wanted a game that was a predecessor to one of my fav rpgs in the ps3/360 era but I did not get that with TOW.
    The world was less interesting , and the companions were not as memorable for me . such a shame :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Shoot; looks like the Switch port is a bit of a dog; watching the video, it's quite a shocking standard all told. Even The Witcher 3 didn't look that bad, and while nobody would have expected full visual parity, I doubt anyone expected it looking this rough:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭brevity

I think there will be a day one patch for the switch version - i saw it mentioned on another performance review video

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

brevity wrote: »
    I think there will be a day one patch for the switch version - i saw it mentioned on another performance review video

There would want to be: I finished the video and by all accounts that "port" looks in horrendous shape. Like a proof of concept snuck into production, a genuinely broken build. Hard to imagine Obsidian OK'ed it for shipping at all. Like the contractors just pulled all the graphical sliders down and called it a day.

Oh and they're charging €60 quid on the e-store too. To hell with that.

Wait and see how much Argos have it at tomorrow morning they did Xenoblade Chronicles for €49 I'm hoping this is the same.

In the shape it's in, it's not worth anything above €20 quid; I wouldn't reward something that slapdash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭brevity

It's trending on twitter now so i would imagine there will be something done quickly.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%22The%20Outer%20Worlds%22&src=trend_click

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Cordell

There was a time Nintendo would straight up refuse to allow such a mess on their devices.

pixelburp wrote: »
    In the shape it's in, it's not worth anything above €20 quid; I wouldn't reward something that slapdash.

The game itself is barely worth 20quid, never mind the quality of the port.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

I assume it's just that the Switch is under powered and the UE4 engine is probably not being used as efficiently as other games.

I mean, look at Fallout 4 on the PS4 and Xbox One. They're infinitely more powerful than the Switch and it runs like crap on both of them with terrible framerate drops because it's a bad and inefficient engine.

Even if they wanted to they wouldn't be able to release it for Switch as the performance would just be god-awful thanks to the engine.

Take even Doom on the Switch either. Smaller, more linear game with a way better and more optimised engine, still runs at 30fps and the resolution can drop as low as 540p or whatever....there's only so much the Switch can handle.

You have something like the Witcher 3 which is somewhat better but it's a considerably older game and better optimised engine, though it's still night and day compared to its console counterparts also.

I'm not really surprised it turned out this way. From watching the Digital Foundry review which is quite good, I think it's acceptable enough if you wanted to play it on the go and in the context of the platform.

I don't think it's a "mess", it's just not suited to the Switch. Arc Survival Evolved is a real 'mess', though the root cause is the same - very demanding engine that the Switch just can't handle.

The gyroscopic capabilities of the switch seems to be the saving grace at the moment be that the joycons in docked mode or the aerodynamic gyroscope capabilities of handheld mode.

Homelander wrote: »
    I assume it's just that the Switch is under powered and the UE4 engine is probably not being used as efficiently as other games.

I mean, look at Fallout 4 on the PS4 and Xbox One. They're infinitely more powerful than the Switch and it runs like crap on both of them with terrible framerate drops because it's a bad and inefficient engine.

Even if they wanted to they wouldn't be able to release it for Switch as the performance would just be god-awful thanks to the engine.

Take even Doom on the Switch either. Smaller, more linear game with a way better and more optimised engine, still runs at 30fps and the resolution can drop as low as 540p or whatever....there's only so much the Switch can handle.

You have something like the Witcher 3 which is somewhat better but it's a considerably older game and better optimised engine, though it's still night and day compared to its console counterparts also.

I'm not really surprised it turned out this way. From watching the Digital Foundry review which is quite good, I think it's acceptable enough if you wanted to play it on the go and in the context of the platform.

I don't think it's a "mess", it's just not suited to the Switch. Arc Survival Evolved is a real 'mess', though the root cause is the same - very demanding engine that the Switch just can't handle.

Open world games are problematic at the best of times, even for high powered systems of course. Bethesda's output is famously temperamental. But the simple rationale is: if Outer Worlds or UE4 was too much for the Switch, a Switch port shouldn't have been promised - or at least cancelled once it was clear they couldn't deliver even close to technical parity.

No Switch user is naive to the fact the console is less powerful than contemporaries, but in most cases the trade offs have been ... acceptable. There's still a strong enough sense of the high watermark's aesthetics or technical prowess. As said, Open World stretches that trade off but Witcher 3 (as the goto comparator) still looked good. You could tell effort was made to keep as much visual parity as possible (IIRC assets were properly rebuilt for the Switch?) in what is a much bigger world.

Here, this feels more than just compromise: as it stands, that released version looks like they just arbitrarily used lower LOD versions on all the assets - which is an insane way to downgrade. LOD assets aren't meant to be viewed up close, that's the whole point of them. The framerate and texture pop-in alone are the two factors that make it look like it was a rushed build with no oversight or quality control. The output looks like the developers were given a deadline and just told to get it out the door.

As DF points out, the game is playable - garbage framerate notwithstanding - but given the atmosphere and aesthetics are a big part of the game's personality, a key element of the game's fun and impact is missing. I'm disappointed, but I'd have rather no Switch port than something that looks like those "try running Doom on a microwave LED" experiments :D:D

• Advertisement

€54.99 in Argos folks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Found this fun little music video

DLC Peril on Gorgon is out Wednesday week.

Advertisement