Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian RPG

Options

Comments

Took me ages to think to holster my gun , just an aesthetic thing for me no one mind you pointing at them it seems :D

You hold X on the Xbox controller or square on PS4

Ha was trying that for screenshots and couldn't figure it out. Anyone know what it is on PC?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ha was trying that for screenshots and couldn't figure it out. Anyone know what it is on PC?

It's 'R' I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Glebee

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's 'R' I think.

Hold R

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

playing a melee charismatic dude, pretty fun running up and hacking people to death. Shame i cant play in 3rd person :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

A little help here please. How do you switch between weapons on the XB1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    A little help here please. How do you switch between weapons on the XB1?

Y

I'm at the stage now where I have to tell Parvati to just go stand in a corner out of the way. Had to reload too many times now after she died and it's become tedious.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm at the stage now where I have to tell Parvati to just go stand in a corner out of the way. Had to reload too many times now after she died and it's become tedious.

I'm not playing supernova, just hard and the companions are dead straight away in every fight. Permadeath would be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm not playing supernova, just hard and the companions are dead straight away in every fight. Permadeath would be a nightmare.

You can set how companion AI reacts in combat in a tab next to their perk points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Homelander wrote: »
    Great, thanks for sharing that you've no interest in supporting the developers of a great single player game?

I can't even play this because of the limitations of the microsoft DRM platform. Piracy would be my only option. I'll not not bother though even though it seems decent.

• Advertisement

I can't even play this because of the limitations of the microsoft DRM platform. Piracy would be my only option. I'll not not bother though even though it seems decent.

Ah, you could though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I haven't properly pirated anything since my teens. There's enough free or cheap games out there + my library is massive. I've got no excuse to be pirating. If the game won't work 'cause of the DRM I'll just buy/play something else.

Venom wrote: »
    You can set how companion AI reacts in combat in a tab next to their perk points.

It's not great I find, they either go Rambo or stand there doing nothing until you tell then to attack something and in that case you really have to watch them like a hawk. Passive is OK but again they take some minding.

If I was playing on a lower difficulty I wouldn't really have to worry about it at all but the risk of permadeath is a big consideration.

• Handy list of side quests here. I'm using this without looking at the details to make sure I've done them all before moving on.

http://www.gamersheroes.com/game-guides/the-outer-worlds-side-quest-guide/
    Thanks for this. Very handy!

I'm going to restart this on PC. Real shame you can't cross-play on it. I don't get the decision to not include it.

It worked for Mutant Year Zero for example and that's a third party game

Did anyone take the flaws when offered them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The guns I have are bloody useless.

Worth getting tinker unlocked at the workbench, you can increase gear level up to +5 above your own level. Cleared out a primal den and got a nice "legendary" ... well unique I guess. 429 dps at level before I used tinker on it :)

EDIT: Also got a plasma rifle with a little diamond symbol in it's item card , these are pristine items and are more valuable and durable.

Go to the microsoft store and check your download queue. Some other app will be blocking the queue or awaiting a reboot. Cancel everything except the game.

Cheers finally got it working through microsoft store. Had to use the command line to force a reinstall. Their customer service didn't have a clue. I did have a rather bizarre issue. My PC thought I had xbox app and store installed even though I didn't.

About to leave it for tonight, just at the point where I need to make a decision on who to back and realise I might have screwed myself on choices by not pursuing the main mission before wandering off exploring.

I like it but I miss the lets see whats over here and discovery aspect of the fallout games, this has it to a point but on a micro scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Played for 2 hrs yesterday,felt i was almost dialogue'd to death

• Advertisement

The other issue is the combat or lack of it, the areas are relatively small and enemies don't respawn for ages if at all in some cases that I've seen and they are all fixed spawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    The guns I have are bloody useless.

Dead eye rifle is great early in, you can steal it off the weapons shop counter in the second zone for main storyline.

And you can go after a few Science weapons as well.

I like it but I miss the lets see whats over here and discovery aspect of the fallout games, this has it to a point but on a micro scale.

This is actually what I like about it. I think about how many hours of.my life have been wasted smashing the A button (xbox ;-)) on RDR2 just to get to a place. I stopped playing it after one night I had 60 mins of play time and came away thinking holy **** I spent most of my time travelling to destinations and barely even got to play any of the game. It really hit me how the game is purposely designed to waste time and stretch it out to give you a false sense of value for money.

This micro open world is.much better imo. You can jump in and get stuck into a few dialogues, only.put 30-60 mins and make a good bit of progress.

Metro Exodus did this very well, never once do you come away thinking you've just wasted 30-60 mins. Gears 5 as well.

There is no need to be wasting your time traversing open worlds. If a game says 120 hrs play time that to me says 60 hrs of your time wasted. They purposely stretch it out so that they can say 120hrs.

This game gives you 60hrs chock full of content.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

This is actually what I like about it. I think about how many hours of.my life have been wasted smashing the A button (xbox ;-)) on RDR2 just to get to a place. I stopped playing it after one night I had 60 mins of play time and came away thinking holy **** I spent most of my time travelling to destinations and barely even got to play any of the game. It really hit me how the game is purposely designed to waste time and stretch it out to give you a false sense of value for money.

This micro open world is.much better imo. You can jump in and get stuck into a few dialogues, only.put 30-60 mins and make a good bit of progress.

Metro Exodus did this very well, never once do you come away thinking you've just wasted 30-60 mins. Gears 5 as well.

There is no need to be wasting your time traversing open worlds. If a game says 120 hrs play time that to me says 60 hrs of your time wasted. They purposely stretch it out so that they can say 120hrs.

Same as that, I always came away from RDR2 thinking I'd achieved nothing and just spent the session getting from one mission to the next and losing interest by the time I got there.

Breath of The Wild and Witcher 3 are the only two big open worlds I think I've really enjoyed exploring. The Yakuza games have one of the smallest open worlds in Kamurocho city and they use the same location pretty much for each game yet its kept my interest for 3 games so far. They just have that small area packed with so many meaningful and entertaining little distractions and side quests that you know something interesting is going to happen each time you walk around it.

Similar vibe with Outer Worlds, locations aren't huge but they are interesting and I'd take that over a massive sprawling empty map stuffed with meaningless filler any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Very true.
    i Just completed AC Odyssey before this and and clocked in a good 50 hours on decent amount of side quests as well and i'd say a good 10-15 hours of that would be travelling between areas and unlocking fast track locations on foot, horse and ship.
    Give me small condensed play areas any day over huge sprawling emptiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Got this on a whim yesterday and played about four hours. Really really enjoying it. This is the fallout game I wanted. It's fun, it's clever, it's great to look at. It actually feels wierd to play a game like this and not have come across any bugs yet, I'd become so used to them.

Putting my points heavily in to dialogue, charisma and melee to see how that works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

Is it just me or do you level up very quickly? I'm level 13 already and have just gotten the Monarch landing pass.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Evade wrote: »
    Is it just me or do you level up very quickly? I'm level 13 already and have just gotten the Monarch landing pass.

I'm finding it slow personally, I'm only level 5 and on the first planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So if I love fallout, and particularly wished 3/4 had been more like New Vegas, then this might be for me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

noodler wrote: »
    So if I love fallout, and particularly wished 3/4 had been more like New Vegas, then this might be for me?

I'd say so. It's what I wish fallout 4 had been, the more I play.

Advertisement