Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to find whole frozen king prawns?

Options
  • 29-11-2018 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    As the title suggest, Im looking for a few boxes of whole/frozen king prawns in north dublin/north county dublin?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,607 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think I've seen these in Iceland, if Coolock \ Northside \ Finglas is in range.

At this time of year LIDL and ALDI sometime get them in as specials, but they might be pre-cooked rather than raw.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

Thanks. Someone also mentioned to check with our local Chinese - it’s been there for 20 years and always seems to serve really good prawns - they may be able to sell me some.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lidl have frozen whole prawns atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Yeah LIDL have the frozen ones atm. Failing that, try one of the Asian supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Head out to Howth Harbour. All the fish mongers will have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Watch out for the prawns imported from the far east where they are grown in ponds and fed a nutrient / antibiotic soup mix.

Stick to North Atlantic prawns where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

Head out to Howth Harbour. All the fish mongers will have them.

Thought of that. Would they have them at this time of year though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

The deluxe lidl ones are a very good frozen product. I would also recommend the frozen red Argentinian prawns, they are used in some of the better restaurants in Dublin. Fishmongers stock them. Dunnes have them, and I have seen them in lidl sometimes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

sk8board wrote: »
    Thought of that. Would they have them at this time of year though?

Not a problem if they’re frozen. They may also have great big gambas (giant prawns), fresh and frozen. I know Mulloys in the middle of the harbour have them most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was in Aldi earlier and they had four different varieties of prawns. Some cooked, some fresh and they had jumbo sized too. They are in the freezers at the top of the aisle opposite the sausages & bacon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco seem to have a lot of variants too.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=prawns

The asian supermarkets I go to rarely have prices on frozen food for some reason, or if there is a price up it is not clear what its for. So I never know if it is good value. I just look out of curiosity so never bother to ask the workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Asian supermarkets will often carry a good range of frozen seafood. Provenance might be another matter.

Advertisement