Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council Housing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

I currently have a roof over my head, the rent is going up in January and it’s very possible I will no longer be able to keep on top of it.

Presumably you are getting HAP/Rent Allowance if your partner is on minimum wage so really you're not paying full rent

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Fair play OP it sounds like you are doing everything you can. Anyone working in allocations in any of the city councils are having a horrible time at the moment things have just been getting worse and worse for the past ten years, if they appear unsympathetic they probably are because because they may have just gotten off the phone with someone in a far worse situation. they are only human and if they allowed themselves to feel genuine empathy for every person they spoke to they would end up having a breakdown especially because there is nothing they can do to help because there aren't enough homes.
    I do think you should be entitled to help but the reality of the situation is that the help isn't there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Off topic posts deleted.

No further attempts to turn this into a rant about immigration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

GoneHome wrote: »
    Presumably you are getting HAP/Rent Allowance if your partner is on minimum wage so really you're not paying full rent

Not sure what you are implying? We on HAP etc pay what we can afford. We have no choice as we cannot pay full rent.
    That has nothing to do with the OPs problem. Already on the list 9 years. \with a disabled child..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

It’s clear what the poster is implying, op will be claiming hap which is assistance by the council, to help contribute the majority of the rent to people who are less fortunate.

Therefore the council are helping him.

The point is there is a shortage of houses and people in greater need. Unfortunately that is the way things are at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Littlenicky55

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not sure what you are implying? We on HAP etc pay what we can afford. We have no choice as we cannot pay full rent.
    That has nothing to do with the OPs problem. Already on the list 9 years. \with a disabled child..

Thank you!!!!!!!! Absolutely nothing to do with my question or what I’m looking for advice on. Most of the replies I’ve gotten have strayed also...
    people seem to have a preconceived idea of me because my post relates to Council housing.

It’s clear what the poster is implying, op will be claiming hap which is assistance by the council, to help contribute the majority of the rent to people who are less fortunate.

Therefore the council are helping him.

The point is there is a shortage of houses and people in greater need. Unfortunately that is the way things are at the moment.

It is not the majority but a proportion according to earnings. If the OP IS claiming.

and again, nine years already? with a disabled child and all that that entails?

Op is not seen as a priority

Far more homeless in worse predicaments

Not all the 9 years has been with a child with learning difficulties? Unless the 9 year old is being transported in a buggy as op said ?

Thank you!!!!!!!! Absolutely nothing to do with my question or what I’m looking for advice on. Most of the replies I’ve gotten have strayed also...
    people seem to have a preconceived idea of me because my post relates to Council housing.

Been in situations myself and often with the council it is banging your head against a brick wall... living now without a shower or bath etc as I just cannot face any more headaches... promised a year ago. Just too much to hassle them.

Which is why I asked re support from elsewhere. Please God you get that. As your child gets bigger it is only going to get harder.

Not all the 9 years has been with a child with learning difficulties? Unless the 9 year old is being transported in a buggy as op said ?

Not the issue that was raised. Some kindness helps.

• Advertisement

I said earlier I sympathize

However the facts are they are not a priority and even if are there is a shortage of council houses

First of all nobody mentioned “learning difficulties”
    Learning difficulties is a phrase first said by you, why do you assume a child with autism, sensory processing disorder and mobility issues has learning difficulties?? That says a lot about you and the knowledge you have or the right you have to comment.
    Second you’ve said it repeatedly “op is not a priority” that’s your opinion.... stop forcing it!
    Thirdly just don’t comment, you are goading people who are trying to defend me.

I’m not forcing anything, council seem to agree....

Anyway best of luck , can’t see anything happening soon

Been in situations myself and often with the council it is banging your head against a brick wall... living now without a shower or bath etc as I just cannot face any more headaches... promised a year ago. Just too much to hassle them.

Which is why I asked re support from elsewhere. Please God you get that. As your child gets bigger it is only going to get harder.

Absolutely! Exactly like banging your head against a brick wall. I was unsure about posting here for advice, it was a last resort and I’m sorry I did as I just feel worse about the whole situation.
    Thank you though for your kindness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

What age is your child Op ? If he needs a special buggy or a wheelchair and you are struggling to get one then my suggestion is to go to Vincent de Paul . They can help you out with a once off special request

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Can I just say firstly, that it's a disgraceful situation that a family can be on a housing list for 9 years. I think we can all agree on that.

And even worse is a situation where a family with a special needs child is on a housing list for 9 years.

Like any parent, LittleNicky is trying to do the best by her family. If I was in her position, I'd be doing exactly the same as her. Writing to every TD and councilor I know, and scouring every source on the internet to see if there was anything I was not thinking of, anyone else I could contact. It shouldn't be that way, but we all know that this is how things work in this country. And as much as LittleNicky might want to start a revolution, she probably doesn't have time.

Answering her request for help with things like "there are others much worse off than you" is not exactly helpful is it? If she was asking for help in feeding her family, would you say "there's lots of starving families worse off than you, count yourself lucky?". No you wouldn't. And answering her question with "get a wheelchair" is hardly of assistance either is it? What she wants is some stability for her child, rather than running the risk of a private landlord selling up. That's especially important in the case of a child with autism who needs familiarity and continuity.

All I can say Nicky, is to keep up the hard work. Try to not get too disheartened with the attitude of the council staff, they have hundreds ringing them just like you, and don't have any good news for anyone. It must be a very tough job. I don't really know anything about the council housing system that would help, but I hope things work out for you.

Op original post was asking ways to be heard to get housed quicker

I don’t understand your point about renting private so wants stability? Anyone that rents property privately runs that risk and also have children

I sympathize regarding the autism but I would argue the case that all kids are equal on the housing list to a certain degree

Maybe it is more to do with resources and help from the Hse than being housed quicker that op needs to concentrate more on

A wheelchair would surely be beneficial than a buggy especially if the child is 9

FWIW I hope op gets the help and outcome for his family but that doesn;t change the situation unfortunately

Op seems to have gone through all the correct channels to be heard

JDD wrote: »
    Can I just say firstly, that it's a disgraceful situation that a family can be on a housing list for 9 years. I think we can all agree on that.

And even worse is a situation where a family with a special needs child is on a housing list for 9 years.

Like any parent, LittleNicky is trying to do the best by her family. If I was in her position, I'd be doing exactly the same as her. Writing to every TD and councilor I know, and scouring every source on the internet to see if there was anything I was not thinking of, anyone else I could contact. It shouldn't be that way, but we all know that this is how things work in this country. And as much as LittleNicky might want to start a revolution, she probably doesn't have time.

Answering her request for help with things like "there are others much worse off than you" is not exactly helpful is it? If she was asking for help in feeding her family, would you say "there's lots of starving families worse off than you, count yourself lucky?". No you wouldn't. And answering her question with "get a wheelchair" is hardly of assistance either is it? What she wants is some stability for her child, rather than running the risk of a private landlord selling up. That's especially important in the case of a child with autism who needs familiarity and continuity.

All I can say Nicky, is to keep up the hard work. Try to not get too disheartened with the attitude of the council staff, they have hundreds ringing them just like you, and don't have any good news for anyone. It must be a very tough job. I don't really know anything about the council housing system that would help, but I hope things work out for you.

Thanks for your advice and kind words, I really appreciate it. I feel I have exhausted every avenue and was hoping someone here would be able to tell me an avenue that I haven’t already gone down (hoping for a miracle) but somehow in the wording of my post this seems to have gotten lost. Thanks again

Op original post was asking ways to be heard to get housed quicker

I don’t understand your point about renting private so wants stability? Anyone that rents property privately runs that risk and also have children

I sympathize regarding the autism but I would argue the case that all kids are equal on the housing list to a certain degree

Maybe it is more to do with resources and help from the Hse than being housed quicker that op needs to concentrate more on

A wheelchair would surely be beneficial than a buggy especially if the child is 9

FWIW I hope op gets the help and outcome for his family but that doesn;t change the situation unfortunately

Op seems to have gone through all the correct channels to be heard

I would just like to say in my original post that I never said I was trying to get housed quicker, I am trying to get housed period. (Also never said my child had learning difficulties, this was another assumption made)
    A wheelchair, as I said in a previous comment was ruled inappropriate by a Physiotherapist.
    Again, in my original post I said I was looking for ways to be heard... not heard quicker.
    Thanks for your input and for wishing me well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I would just like to say in my original post that I never said I was trying to get housed quicker, I am trying to get housed period. (Also never said my child had learning difficulties, this was another assumption made)
    A wheelchair, as I said in a previous comment was ruled inappropriate by a Physiotherapist.
    Again, in my original post I said I was looking for ways to be heard... not heard quicker.
    Thanks for your input and for wishing me well.

A friend of mine had a buggy for her nine year old child . It was a blue and white stripe foldable type and made for older kids . It had larger seat and wheels as far as I remember by Maclaren .
    Again , maybe Vincent de Paul could help you with this and I know they can help people with special request for children in need of help .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I would just like to say in my original post that I never said I was trying to get housed quicker, I am itrying to get housed period. (

You are already housed. What you want is to be housed by the taxpayer.

If your kid is none, I'd be questioning why your partner is still on minimum wage.

The only thing a minimum wage job is for is keeping you minimally while you find a better job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

it is banging your head against a brick wall...
    Finally! An explanation for your posts! Severe repeated concussion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Yes my partner works full time, minimum wage.

I don't mean to be condescending but this is the part you need to change. A council house will not improve your life or help with your child as much as a better wage would in the long run. Is there any way your partner can upskill and get a better job?

If your kid is none, I'd be questioning why your partner is still on minimum wage.

The only thing a minimum wage job is for is keeping you minimally while you find a better job.

Gratuitous criticism, like so many of the posts and none of anyone's business frankly ,,

As many of us know from experience,these days there is little or no security of tenure in private rentals. The OP has said her rent is going up in the New Year. OK?OK!

Whatever happened here to simply kindness and support...

OK; checking out!

Suggesting also Citizens info ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Can those saying there are those worse off than the OP's family take a minute to put yourself in her shoes.

She has a 9 year old with mobility issues. I couldn't lift my 10 year old into the bath for example. Could many mothers? As he gets bigger, this will get more and more difficult. As she is in private rented accommodation, she can't have any adaptations made to the house to assist with these things.

That's just one thing that she needs for her child.

OP, have you involved your PHN and social workers? Please do this if you haven't. They may be able to advocate on your behalf. They also may be able to sort you all out with some supports to make life a little easier on yourselves.

You sound like an amazing Mam. X

I assume you mean “if your kid is nine”
    not is none.
    The child is NOT nine. Again, and assumption made by the one person making the assumptions.
    I wish people could read!!!!
    My partner is on minimum wage, this was not always the case... in a job for years on night shift paid appropriate wage and had no time at home with child... this summer it was time to move from that job to one closer to home to see the child! After 6 months probationary period in the new job wage will be upped to €10.
    How is it that I’m even required to explain this???? My original post has nothing in it asking to be slated let alone made little of for a minimum wage job or paying tax!!!!!
    We have, do now and will continue to pay tax, I resent your comment of wanting to be housed by the tax payer..... we pay tax. Do not presume to tell me what I want!!!!
    Are there no mediators on this site???!

aido79 wrote: »
    I don't mean to be condescending but this is the part you need to change. A council house will not improve your life or help with your child as much as a better wage would in the long run. Is there any way your partner can upskill and get a better job?

You are a moderator??? Really?
    And that is the best comment you can come up with to say to me?? People on here making assumptions and going way off topic and trying their best to be the opposite of helpful.
    Really?
    The job being minimum wage is temporary, 6 month probationary period when starting new job. After this it will increase to €10 and hopefully continue to increase. Last job was very well payed, night shift, never seen child I was on my own day and night. Not that any of this is relevant to my original post! “Is there any way your partner can up skill and get a better job”
    My partner works very hard, the wage doesn’t reflect skill or work load!!! Another assumption. I’m sick of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

You say your rent is increasing in January, have you checked that it is not being increased past what is legally allowed and in the correct way?

• Advertisement

amcalester wrote: »
    You say your rent is increasing in January, have you checked that it is not being increased past what is legally allowed and in the correct way?

Yes unfortunately it’s being increased legally.
    Inquire was the first thing I did when I got the notice from them of the intent to raise the rent. Rent in the area is shooting up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement