Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council Housing

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Have you checked if you guys are eligible for working family payment? https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Working-Family-Payment.aspx It might help towards a proper buggy or the therapy sessions? You should also be able to claim back 20% on those fees if you were paying them in 2017. File a retune with revenue it’s really quick. Good suggestions re charities helping with buggy or chair also. Could Occ Healyh get a lift/winch installed to help with lifts in and out of the bath? It might make things easier until you can find something more suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

If you are the child's primary carer you are probably getting carer's allowance also, along with HAP/Rent Allowance, my point being you are in a far better position than the hundred's of thousands in this country who are struggling to pay full rent without any of these benefits. By the way if you are getting HAP/Rent Allowance you are seen by the Council has having your housing needs met, as previously pointed out by another poster you are not living in emergency accommodation like thousands of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I would just like to say in my original post that I never said I was trying to get housed quicker, I am trying to get housed period. (Also never said my child had learning difficulties, this was another assumption made)
    A wheelchair, as I said in a previous comment was ruled inappropriate by a Physiotherapist.
    Again, in my original post I said I was looking for ways to be heard... not heard quicker.
    Thanks for your input and for wishing me well.

If a wheelchair is inappropriate for your child then a buggy must be completely inappropriate for a nine year old. Challenge the physio over the wheelchair being inappropriate, which is designed for moving mobility restricted children and adults, vs a buggy being appropriate, which is designed for moving toddler's. One of you is wrong about the child's mobility needs and putting a nine year old not appropriate for a wheelchair into a buggy is not right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

There’s genuine people in hard situations
    It all well and good to say upskill but after a certain age its kinda pointless cause you won’t get hired or go up that much in wages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

nikkibikki wrote: »
    Can those saying there are those worse off than the OP's family take a minute to put yourself in her shoes.

She has a 9 year old with mobility issues. I couldn't lift my 10 year old into the bath for example. Could many mothers? As he gets bigger, this will get more and more difficult. As she is in private rented accommodation, she can't have any adaptations made to the house to assist with these things.

That's just one thing that she needs for her child.

OP, have you involved your PHN and social workers? Please do this if you haven't. They may be able to advocate on your behalf. They also may be able to sort you all out with some supports to make life a little easier on yourselves.

You sound like an amazing Mam. X

Look, the OP asked a question and the question was answered based on the limited information provided. I have no idea how old the child is, or how easy it is to lift him/her into a bath. Neither do you it seems. I didn't even know if the OP had a bath, or had stairs!!

What I do know is that the OP has a home, it's not ideal but there ARE others who may be in more dire circumstances, and that's why the OP hasn't been offered a house by the council yet. It's not about putting ourselves in the OP's shoes, it is about accepting the facts!! If the home is becoming more unsuitable as the child grows then the OP can use the rental market to try and find somewhere more suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Littlenicky55

Del2005 wrote: »
    If a wheelchair is inappropriate for your child then a buggy must be completely inappropriate for a nine year old. Challenge the physio over the wheelchair being inappropriate, which is designed for moving mobility restricted children and adults, vs a buggy being appropriate, which is designed for moving toddler's. One of you is wrong about the child's mobility needs and putting a nine year old not appropriate for a wheelchair into a buggy is not right.

Child is NOT 9

Pelvis wrote: »
    Look, the OP asked a question and the question was answered based on the limited information provided. I have no idea how old the child is, or how easy it is to lift him/her into a bath. Neither do you it seems. I didn't even know if the OP had a bath, or had stairs!!

What I do know is that the OP has a home, it's not ideal but there ARE others who may be in more dire circumstances, and that's why the OP hasn't been offered a house by the council yet. It's not about putting ourselves in the OP's shoes, it is about accepting the facts!! If the home is becoming more unsuitable as the child grows then the OP can use the rental market to try and find somewhere more suitable.

Yes, it’s been said that I have a stairs and a bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Graces7 wrote: »
    As many of us know from experience,these days there is little or no security of tenure in private rentals. The OP has said her rent is going up in the New Year. OK?OK!

Whatever happened here to simply kindness and support...

OK; checking out!

Suggesting also Citizens info ..

so everyone should be on the housing list if they are renting privately?

if rent goes up HAP will assist too

Just to clarify, you want to get a free house that needs to be less than 2.5km from the shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭DublinHun72

Child is NOT 9

People are making that leap as you said you’re on the waiting list 9 years and you have a child with needs. So it’s likely at some point you were just on the housing list as a couple for a while so you would have been very far down the list then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

pc7 wrote:
    Could Occ Healyh get a lift/winch installed to help with lifts in and out of the bath? It might make things easier until you can find something more suitable.

What private landlord will allow winches and lifts installed in their house?

Pelvis wrote:

Bath was used AS AN EXAMPLE. The words "for example" are right there in my post.

I did somehow think the child was 9 but I'll use the excuse of not having my morning coffee at that stage so the cogs weren't turning quickly enough in my head. We don't know how old the child is but my point still stands. Whatever age the child is, they will still grow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Wow, people are being very harsh on the OP. I doubt many people here have a disabled child and are surviving on one minimum wage salary. It’s not always easy to get well paid jobs depending on your skills and location.

I don’t have much advice but 9 years is a long time to be on the council list. Depending on your location I guess. Make sure you’re getting all the benefits you can and keep getting onto your local TD’s. Best of luck OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

nikkibikki wrote: »
    Bath was used AS AN EXAMPLE. The words "for example" are right there in my post.

I did somehow think the child was 9 but I'll use the excuse of not having my morning coffee at that stage so the cogs weren't turning quickly enough in my head. We don't know how old the child is but my point still stands. Whatever age the child is, they will still grow.

As an example of your imagination maybe. Your point doesn't stand as you made up a scenario about the OP not being able to bath her child, therefore necessitating her need for a council house. Well, if that's not the case then your point is, well, pointless.

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Wow, people are being very harsh on the OP. I doubt many people here have a disabled child and are surviving on one minimum wage salary. It’s not always easy to get well paid jobs depending on your skills and location.

I don’t have much advice but 9 years is a long time to be on the council list. Depending on your location I guess. Make sure you’re getting all the benefits you can and keep getting onto your local TD’s. Best of luck OP.

It might sound harsh but times are tough for lots of people and individual responsibility is needed more than expecting handouts.

2.5km is not a huge walk for a person not working all day. Its unlikely you need to go the shops / amenities every day.

She can save for a car in the new year as she stated herself. She could look for an evening job. She could look for a place to rent closer to the amenities.

Lia_lia wrote: »

Thank you, just wondering if you could tell me how to “turn off” comments as this is getting ridiculous and it’s actually hard to read them at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

We have, do now and will continue to pay tax, I resent your comment of wanting to be housed by the tax payer..... we pay tax. Do not presume to tell me what I want!!!

I just re-read your opening post. It very clearly said that you want to find a way to push yourself up the priority list for being allocated a council house. You can resent it all you want, but council housing means you are housed by the tax-payer, with you paying a very small contribution to the overall cost.

If your partner is earning minimum wage or just about it, you are paying next-to-no tax. (Yes, you were paying more when he was earning more. Now he's not).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Pelvis, do not post in the thread again.

If you want to debate the provision of social welfare/housing, go and find another thread to do so.

No more off topic posts, sly digs, name calling.

Thanks

Graham wrote: »
    Mod Note

Pelvis, do not post in the thread again.

If you want to debate the provision of social welfare/housing, go and find another thread to do so.

No more off topic posts, sly digs, name calling.

Thanks

How do you “turn off” comments or is it possible

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

How do you “turn off” comments or is it possible

Thread now closed at OP's request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement