Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCBOs and lighting?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭tomplate

Bruthal wrote: »
    Presumably an mcb will assist that, unless the non-REC forgets to connect the neutral supply tail while there's a nice little earth neutral fault....

Overall I'm not heavily against rcd protection on lighting. But shock risk from lights is extremely low. Sockets though, have people plugging all sorts of devices into them and operating them in hand.

That was always the distinction, luminaires are 'fixed'

You could plug into a socket and be gone half a mile up the road in the rain with an extension lead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Ironically enough, it would be extremely unlikely a person making contact with a phase in a house would trip an RCD unless they also have contact with an earthed point.

Ironically enough, it would be extremely unlikely a person making contact with a phase in a house would trip an RCD unless they also have contact with an earthed point.

I had an electrician friend who used to grab hold of the phase on an upstairs domestic circuit

You'd then stick a phase tester on his arm and it would light up

I never liked the idea myself

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

....with the 30mA RCDs that are normally used for socket circuits in a domestic installation.

So should the “logical progression” be for 10mA units?

2011 wrote: »
    ....with the 30mA RCDs that are normally used for socket circuits in a domestic installation.

That will probably happen too

The 10mA protects against let-go currents afaik

The 30mA only protects against fibrillation

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

tomplate wrote: »
    That will probably happen too

If so there will be a dramatic increase in nuisance tripping.

If so there will be a dramatic increase in nuisance tripping.

It shouldn't be too bad, it will be rcbo

Installations having them fitted will be largely free of wiring faults and there is less leakage now with appliances

It shouldn't be too bad, it will be rcbo

Reducing the sensitivity by a factor of 3 will have to increase this occurrence significantly.
    Installations having them fitted will be largely free of wiring faults and there is less leakage now with appliances

Nope, the opposite applies.
    Nuisance tripping has nothing to do with faults and everything to do with nonlinear loads such as switched mode power supplies which are on the increase.

I think 30 is fine. The idea of 30 is that it's the area of danger, magnitude wise. 10ma would cause too much nuisance. If a person receives 15 or 20 it's not very severe. It's quite nice at 30 though. An RCD more limits the time of exposure than the current level also.

Reducing the sensitivity by a factor of 3 will have to increase this occurrence significantly.

Nuisance tripping has nothing to do with faults and everything to do with nonlinear loads such as switched mode power supplies which are on the increase.

You make it sound like nuisance tripping is a big problem when it's not

It's quite uncommon in modern domestic installations

• Advertisement

I think 30 is fine.

So do I.
    My reccomendation would be replace a single socket RCD with RCBOs per circuit as is the standard in industrial installations.

I should have said wiring leakage rather than faults

I'm not sure that leakage from power supplies is a big issue either

My understanding is that leakage is low from power supplies, in the order of 300 micro Amps max.

The old calculation on PCs was 3.5 mA leakage

It was then recommended have no more than 4 on a 30mA device

I think they now have a lot less leakage than that

The old calculation on PCs was 3.5 mA leakage
    I’m not sure to be honest. There are now switched mode power supplies in TVs.
    It was then recommended have no more than 4 on a 30mA device

If that is the case it would be less for a 10mA unit.

I had an electrician friend who used to grab hold of the phase on an upstairs domestic circuit

You'd then stick a phase tester on his arm and it would light up

I never liked the idea myself

Nothing at all is perceived with phase only contact in those circumstances.

Rubber mats under the distribution board in the hall?

Rubber mats are a bit of a placebo at 230v.

A typical domestic distribution board may contain the following:

⦁ A main neutral bar and a neutral bar for the RCD for the socket circuits. Connecting to the wrong neutral bar will of course cause issues.

⦁ A bus bar for all sockets not fed through the RCD. An RCD for the socket circuits.

⦁ A busbar for all sockets not fed through the RCD.

⦁ A 2nd busbar for the socket circuits that are fed through the RCD.

⦁ An RCBO for an instantaneous shower. This device is wired differently to everything else in the board.

The above is not rocket science, but it tends to confuse many that have limited electrical experience which often keeps them away from it (thankfully).

Installing RCBO's on every circuit in a domestic installation would simplify the distribution board. This is especially the case when a suitable RCBO type phase / neutral busbar is used (like the one in the image below).

product34.jpg

This simplifies the distribution board considerably. In this case the wiring for every circuit would be identical and the device protecting every final circuit would be identical (apart from the rating). To those with limited electrical experience this "dumbed down" distribution board would encourage them to "have a go" at just about any modification.

I am not for one minute suggesting that this alone is a valid reason for not installing RCBO's on every circuit. I am just saying that it will have unwanted consequences, so be careful what you wish for!

To those with limited electrical experience this "dumbed down" distribution board would encourage them to "have a go" at just about any modification.

Even qualified non REC persons might have a go:pac:

Advertisement