Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

temporary clerical officer 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nuala1983

Can someone explain what exactly the order of merit means (e.g 24)from public jobs I applied for temporary clerical officer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Nuala1983 wrote: »
    Can someone explain what exactly the order of merit means (e.g 24)from public jobs I applied for temporary clerical officer
    That is your position based on your results from questionaire and it determines which people will go if interested to the next phase of the recruitment process

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sabby78

emalou wrote: »
    When you are placed how long is it for?

If anyone who has been appointed wouldn't mind sharing the length of time they held their position for I would be very grateful.

Does anyone have any experience of claiming FIS or WFP as it is now called while employed as a TCO?

Thanks in advance.

In my first year as TCO i was initially appointed a 3 month contract which was extended a further 3 months each time totaling 23 months. They could not extend it further than that because they would of needed to offer me a permanent position.

My second year as TCO i was appointed to a 12 week contract which finished at 12 weeks. Each year is different and it depends on the department you are put in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 cailin06

This is my first time to apply for TCO. Can someone fill me in on how exactly it works from when you get a positive reply from the online assessment?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wexford awake

cailin06 wrote: »
    This is my first time to apply for TCO. Can someone fill me in on how exactly it works from when you get a positive reply from the online assessment?

You will get a call for an interview, either to be most likely held in the Public App Service in Dublin, or you might get lucky and it could be on in your own County. Interview was always just a formality, and you can't really fail it. Some people have said that it's changed this year, but I don't think so. Anyway after interview you just have to wait and see if your OOM is reached for a job. You might only get three months term time, or you could be lucky and get longer like maternity. Some people have been given extentions in contracts that can last a few years. The luck of the dice really. A good OOM just means you'll get a job faster, but someone with a worse OOM could get a better contract. It's all luck really. Best of luck xxxx

Was quiet disappointed with my OOM. I'm usually in the top 10 and sometimes I've been in the top 3. However this year I've seen my OOM go to late 30s. Worst I've ever done. Can't think of what I did different etc. I would class myself as been good at the assessment Questionairres. Was anyone else disappointed?. I thought it was application form, that perhaps PAS could see that others had more experience than me but then I know a student who was in the 40s Iast year jump to top 10 this year. So that's that theory out the window.I have worked in numerous TCO contracts. I'm not bitter, but just baffled. Just interested to see if anyone else is in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Mala1313

ali1993 wrote: »
    did really well with my results, a lot better than I thought I would! But now I am a bit scared because it means I might be called for interview soon and I will have to make a decision(if im lucky!)

I'm currently 9 months into a permanent CO job but... I applied for this because I wanted to get a job closer to home, and also I don't really like where I am. Commute wise it's costing me a fortune and very time consuming. I'm also on a panel for the CO 2018 campaign to try get closer to home in the long run. I was thinking if i got a temporary co job to cover me until I got through on the CO 2018 campaign.

Am I mad leaving a permanent job for a temp job? It would make my life so much easier being closer to home.

Hi just quick question- have you tried put yourself on transfer list?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dalio

Hi Folks
    Please just be aware that automatic extensions to your contract are not given 99% of the time regardless of the circumstances. This is because new rules and regulations came in last year or the year before regarding the TCO contracts. This is because there are a lot of people on the panel and the folks managing the panel want to everyone a fair shot. A lot of folks were disappointed last year because their contracts were not extended.

Just so you are aware:-
    • The standard contract is 12 weeks – this covers paternal leave and term time.
    • There are maternity cover contracts as well but again only a few and you are not guarantee them.
    • Long term sickness is another one – although I have heard a TCO lose their contact half way through when the person they were covering came back to work sooner than expected.
    • SW contracts are not normally extended unless exceptionally special circumstances.
    • Just because you had a long contract last year does not guarantee you will get the same this year. If you do, you would be fortunate!
    • Just because you had a contract last year for a particular department/section does not guarantee you will get the same department/section this year
    • And worst of all, just because you got a contract last year, doesn’t guarantee you will get one this year even if you did well in the interview.

I have been doing the TCO contracts for a number of years and each year I have been given a different posts with contracts varying in duration. All great for the general experience.

There was only one year I didn’t get a post even though I passed the interview stages and got put on a panel.

So please do not build up your hopes and expect nothing more than the standard contract.

Hope this helps!
    Dublintigger

Thanks good advice

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭podsull1

Hi anyone any idea if people get offered contract in early 20s for kerry

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

Was quiet disappointed with my OOM. I'm usually in the top 10 and sometimes I've been in the top 3. However this year I've seen my OOM go to late 30s. Worst I've ever done. Can't think of what I did different etc. I would class myself as been good at the assessment Questionairres. Was anyone else disappointed?. I thought it was application form, that perhaps PAS could see that others had more experience than me but then I know a student who was in the 40s Iast year jump to top 10 this year. So that's that theory out the window.I have worked in numerous TCO contracts. I'm not bitter, but just baffled. Just interested to see if anyone else is in the same boat.
    I was disappointed, was around the same as you. Do you practise the tests? Wish it was easier to practise them, these tests are very common now in public sector. In saying that, it was only a temporary role. I'd love to get into a permanent role locally but seems very difficult. Also seems as if many people now are going to Dublin then transferring out as soon as possible so less positions are freeing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jay328

Anyone know how many will be hired in dublin my OOM is 147

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cvb03

Jay328 wrote: »

In 2017 I was in the 300s and 2018 I was in the 170s on the Dublin panel, both times I was called to start end of May/start of June as I am only available for Summer months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Silly q what's oom?

Eod100 wrote: »
    Silly q what's oom?

Order of merit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 binana

Jay328 wrote: »
    I did TCO 2 years ago and I was around 650 OOM. I was called in mid May in Dublin.

podsull1 wrote: »
    Hi anyone any idea if people get offered contract in early 20s for kerry

Without a doubt you will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭HauntedGhost

Would any recommend the TCO to a person just out of college?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

Any idea how high the Cork numbers went last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Vb1

binana wrote: »
    I did TCO 2 years ago and I was around 650 OOM. I was called in mid May in Dublin.

There's hope for me yet so, Im 620th OOM!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

How soon would you expect them to get to around 100 on OOM?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

Yes - its a great way to get some work experience under their belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭emalou

I was placed in the 30's in Carlow. I'm hoping for the longest contract possible but from reading comments on a few different threads, it seems the higher you are placed the more chance you have of a longer contract, why is this does anyone know? TIA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭HauntedGhost

I placed 3rd in my county. Will I be called for an interview very soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I was placed in the 30's in Carlow. I'm hoping for the longest contract possible but from reading comments on a few different threads, it seems the higher you are placed the more chance you have of a longer contract, why is this does anyone know? TIA.

It is how the competition works, you might be placed No.1 in your county and only get a 12 week contract whereas somebody who was No.34 might get a 6 month contract, it all depends on what different departments need at the time.

In some cases it is actually more beneficial to place further down the OOM outside of Dublin, I know a department in the West will that be taking on 12-16 new TCOs in June on 6 month contracts to replace the current batch of TCOs who contracts will have expired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

How soon would you expect them to get to around 100 on OOM?
    Depends on your county choice, dublin would probably called 100+ each in batch 1.

• Advertisement

Yes, I would because you could be working away as a TCO and in the meantime be applying for jobs in your designated field. I graduate next year and will defo still apply for a TCO position. This will be my third year in a row doing it. I have found it really enjoyable and the flexi time is great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭emalou

cvb03 wrote: »
    Yes, I would because you could be working away as a TCO and in the meantime be applying for jobs in your designated field. I graduate next year and will defo still apply for a TCO position. This will be my third year in a row doing it. I have found it really enjoyable and the flexi time is great :)

Hi, I was just wondering how flexi time works as a TCO?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

Same as it works for permanent staff

It means you can work up 7.24 hours and take a day a month if you have the time worked up. You can clock in between 8 and 10 am in the mornings, or else 7 - 10am . It depends what department you are in. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 cailin06

You will get a call for an interview, either to be most likely held in the Public App Service in Dublin, or you might get lucky and it could be on in your own County. Interview was always just a formality, and you can't really fail it. Some people have said that it's changed this year, but I don't think so. Anyway after interview you just have to wait and see if your OOM is reached for a job. You might only get three months term time, or you could be lucky and get longer like maternity. Some people have been given extentions in contracts that can last a few years. The luck of the dice really. A good OOM just means you'll get a job faster, but someone with a worse OOM could get a better contract. It's all luck really. Best of luck xxxx

Thanks a million for that. I guess it's a case of sit tight and wait for now then :cool:

• Advertisement

Would any recommend the TCO to a person just out of college?[/quote

No reason why not. It will give you a taste of whether you would like to pursue a career in the public or Civil servive

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Mala1313

Definitely. Great work experience. Also good to get references if you think of office job in future and looks good on CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

I think the order of merit thing is a load of bollix. I've answered the questions the same way last few years, and each time the order of merit was different. One time was in low 20s, other time was high 90s and another high 600s . Makes no sense to me at all.:pac:

I think the order of merit thing is a load of bollix. I've answered the questions the same way last few years, and each time the order of merit was different. One time was in low 20s, other time was high 90s and another high 600s . Makes no sense to me at all.:pac:

To be first on the OOM you dont need a score of 800/800, you just need to have the best score of the group.

If you answered all the questions the exact same each time, you should get the exact same score (ie:600/800). What is changing is the people your up against and the scores they are achieving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

ali1993 wrote: »
    did really well with my results, a lot better than I thought I would! But now I am a bit scared because it means I might be called for interview soon and I will have to make a decision(if im lucky!)

I'm currently 9 months into a permanent CO job but... I applied for this because I wanted to get a job closer to home, and also I don't really like where I am. Commute wise it's costing me a fortune and very time consuming. I'm also on a panel for the CO 2018 campaign to try get closer to home in the long run. I was thinking if i got a temporary co job to cover me until I got through on the CO 2018 campaign.

Am I mad leaving a permanent job for a temp job? It would make my life so much easier being closer to home.

That'd be an idiotic move, to put it bluntly.

Apply for a position closer to home via the Civil Service Mobility Scheme & wait for a transfer or accept an offer off the 2018 CO panel.

To be first on the OOM you dont need a score of 800/800, you just need to have the best score of the group.

If you answered all the questions the exact same each time, you should get the exact same score (ie:600/800). What is changing is the people your up against and the scores they are achieving.

By over 500 places? Bit fishy. I work in the civil service now btw. Majority of people in there think its a ridiculous way of recruiting, but the ones in power seem to know better.

The scenarios and your experience is what matters the most, its very easy to stay in the top 30 year after year in your county if you are outside of Dublin, also screenshot your answers as the scenarios often get repeated, last year they were nearly identical to the 2016 scenarios.

Xenji wrote: »
    The scenarios and your experience is what matters the most, its very easy to stay in the top 30 year after year in your county if you are outside of Dublin, also screenshot your answers as the scenarios often get repeated, last year they were nearly identical to the 2016 scenarios.

Not true at all. I'm outside Dublin and that def did not happen.

Not true at all. I'm outside Dublin and that def did not happen.

The majority of the scenarios where different this year, if you are doing everything the same, that is where you must of gone down this time if you dropped nearly 500 positions, its a huge drop.

By over 500 places? Bit fishy. I work in the civil service now btw. Majority of people in there think its a ridiculous way of recruiting, but the ones in power seem to know better.

I dont know what county you choose, i doubt there is even 500 in mine but it is what it is... i would agree its a ridiclous way of recruiting especially because i dont feel experience or qualifications are given much consideration particularly when determining who gets the longer contracts.

The whole TCO programme is costly exercise, the amount of time and resourses spent training people in for 10 weeks contracts and once they get confident in the work and the job kicking them out again and bring a new person in to start the process again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

TCO's are just used as cover for maternity and term time leave where I work. We don't bother training them on complicated things anymore because they'll be gone in 3 months time. Mainly used for catching up on filing and that sort of craic.

We had one TCO a few years back who caught on after a few days to the crappy complicated financial software we use, and was a great asset to our team, but was still gone after 12 weeks. Was especially crap as the person they were covering for was a lifer who does the bare minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭336699

I think someone was saying they have changed it so that it's competency based?

As stated in the information booklet, the interview for this campaign has changed. It is now a competitive competency based interview, you will be marked on a number of competencies and need to achieve a minimum mark in all competencies to pass and be considered for a position.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CandyCane_81

I don’t know, it would be very time consuming to interview everyone for 30 minutes and then rank us. Considering they are temporary positions and pas have enough on their plate with permanent campaigns.

I don’t know, it would be very time consuming to interview everyone for 30 minutes and then rank us. Considering they are temporary positions and pas have enough on their plate with permanent campaigns.

Last year was a non-competitive (Pass/Fail) interview of about 10 minutes, testing on 4 of 6 competencies.

If it is competitive this year, I would imagine it will be the same format except perhaps you might have two people in the room. If they call in batches of 20/30 candidates at a time, you will only be able to jump up or down by the number in your batch (unlikely to be significant) & of course I would imagine that the standard of answers (i.e: qualifying mark) will be a lot lower than they would expect in the permanent CO campaign.

First batch interviews will probably be called in the next week or so. It will be interesting to see what they says invite to interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Mr lebowski

If you have completed a tco contract or are currently in a role do you still have to attend the interview?. I thought I read last year if you have done it before you just need a letter from your employer?. Is this correct. Thanks

If you have completed a tco contract or are currently in a role do you still have to attend the interview?. I thought I read last year if you have done it before you just need a letter from your employer?. Is this correct. Thanks

Yes you do. It's a totally seperate campaign. If you want a contract off the 2019 panel yes you have to. If the Dept you are currently in extends your contract that is different. It's a pure balls really. Also I found the TCO 2019 Booklet that saved on my phone, and yes this year's interview is competitive. So it's not just the ten minute informal chat 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jules5417

The interview is no different from last year. I filled in a form last year and was asked to demonstrate when i showed xyand z. Still only 15 mins chat. The reason it isnt like the CO panel interview is that our oom numbers do not change, you just get offer of job.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

jules5417 wrote: »
    The interview is no different from last year. I filled in a form last year and was asked to demonstrate when i showed xyand z. Still only 15 mins chat. The reason it isnt like the CO panel interview is that our oom numbers do not change, you just get offer of job.

Hiya - Have you done this years TCO interview? It does say the process is changing.

jules5417 wrote: »

No I applied last year. This is my 3rd time in fact and no this was not part of previous TCO. It even says your order of merit will change after interview. That never happened before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jules5417

Can you send me link for the booklet 2019 please

Advertisement